One minute funk!

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Got the Reference kit set-up and it was feeling rather inspirational so I recorded one minute of some funk and laid it down. I absolutely love this kit: Pearl Reference in glossy natural maple: 12x9/13x10/16x16/22x18 with 14x6.5 Masters snare in matching finish (from 2010). Hi-hats are my 17" Thin Crashes, and the one crash you hear is a 20" Thin. This snare sounds awesome - not bad for an iPhone with a MOTIV microphone!

Definitely got the "groove" Bo.

I'm sure you already know how killer your bass drum sounds! Lol

Really nice feel. Very fluid.

Man the iPhone recording does sound good Bo (and look good-a nice bright room you can see). It amazes how good phones are-I remember you had to spend a small fortune for special camera and gizmos to take images in microscopes-now just put your iPhone up to ocular and get better images-it's crazy. Looks like a brand new snare head you're trying out getting all funky-sounds awesome-the kick really does sound good too. So what's the story with gig and Logo Reso head for a "22 in bass head"-inquiring minds want to know?

Man the iPhone recording does sound good Bo (and look good-a nice bright room you can see). It amazes how good phones are-I remember you had to spend a small fortune for special camera and gizmos to take images in microscopes-now just put your iPhone up to ocular and get better images-it's crazy. Looks like a brand new snare head you're trying out getting all funky-sounds awesome-the kick really does sound good too. So what's the story with gig and Logo Reso head for a "22 in bass head"-inquiring minds want to know?
Well, considering I will have paid $1100 for the phone over the life of my cellular contract, I guess it still costs a bit to make a nice recording, plus the $150 microphone ?

But I’m debating using this kit or my all-black Vision kit which are exactly the same sizes. I do know this kit can handle everything I do, the Visions need to be tuned a little. Depends on how I’m feeling, I guess. Thanks for watching!

Cool video and nice playing.

It’s the Shure MOTIV mic for iPhone. Sounds really good.
Indeed ! Great sound, I love the sound of your drumkit - cymbal, snare, and bass are great - I would have loved to hear some toms too, though. The groove you have is what I miss sometimes, you’re really into it, it‘s lively, ”human”.

Last edited:
Indeed ! Great sound I love the sound of your drumkit cymbal snare and bass are great - I would have loved to hear some toms too, thought. the groove you have Is what I miss sometimes, you’re really into it, it‘s lively, ”human”.
Thanks so much for listening! I just need a band where I can apply this more ?

I find your frequent drum kit swaps (and explanations for doing so) entertaining, but I also really like your playing. Always good stuff. Tell me more about that mic if you don’t mind, and how you set everything up for this video.

I find your frequent drum kit swaps (and explanations for doing so) entertaining, but I also really like your playing. Always good stuff. Tell me more about that mic if you don’t mind, and how you set everything up for this video.
It's a microphone by Shure called the MOTIV. It's an iOS mic for iPhone and you just plug it into the Thunder/power port on the phone. It comes with a MOTIV app, one for audio and one for video where it gives you control of how the microphone records. I didn't mess with any of that, but I did do the video with the MOTIV video app, and it saves it to where all my other pictures and videos are saved on the iPhone. So I have access to them like any other picture/video. It's really simple and cost about $150. I just put it on a mic stand to my left and hit 'record'. Bermuda told me about it once and a few months later I got one to try. It's really handy for quick stuff.

Video quality is much better than my Zoom Q2n ! Sound wise, I guess it’s I the same ball park.

Video quality is much better than my Zoom Q2n ! Sound wise, I guess it’s I the same ball park.
I have the Zoom Q8 and I do hate that the video isn’t better although the audio is wonderful. Another option I have is the Focusrite iTrack, which is a single mic preamp for iPhone. I can mic up through a mixer, then send a line out to this box and go to the iPhone. Now that I have a phone with enough RAM this may be the way I go for video, since I can also edit and upload all from the phone.

Back