N&C Solid shell walnut snare maintenance question?

Drum Guy

Got a 2019 N&C solid shell walnut 5x14, nice...never had a solid shell before...so do I need to be aware of anything re: the reso/batter head if it's too tight, etc, where the shell could over time distort or go out of round? Reso head is at 398 Hz, batter at 319 Hz

Just curious if that's too tight on reso head, especially while stored, and anything to know about storing a solid shell snare? It's kept in an Ahead fleece lined snare bag -

Thanks as usual for yall's insight!01616_dYtmNgyS04r_1200x900.jpg

thank you, I have written to Nick, but no word, maybe it's holiday time for N&C? But thought I'd ask owners of solid shells as well...

For wooden instruments (and this is a big generalization), keep the humidity near 50% and avoid large/rapid variations in temperature and humidity.

Understand that this is a theoretical goal. For example, if you live in Hawaii, 50% humidity will cost you a small fortune. FWIW, I have a finished New England basement studio and keep the humidity at 60-65% in the summer. When I state "large/rapid" fluctuations, this means that you can't let the instrument bake in a 150 degree car and walk it into 65 degree air conditioning, and you cant let it sit in a -20 degree van and walk it into the 80 degree ski resort. To mitigate, get a travel case and let the drum's temperature approach equilibrium slowly for ~30 minutes before opening the case up. If you are getting condensation on the drum during setup, this is a sign that you're doing something very wrong.

good to know, thanks

What about the solid shell distorting because of tight heads? Is a 400Hz reso head stored too tight or?

I just don't want this wood shell to one day snap, crackle or pop (yes it's a cereal reference) or whatever because I was ignorant :) ...trying to understand the do's/dont's with a solid wood snare shell

I don't have a pitch reference to use but if you're refering to a cranked head then bring it on down to a medium tension if the dum will be stored for some period of time and that should resolve any concern you might have.
I've owned a N&C SS maple since 1987 and it's still perfectly in round and has no issues.

I'd use a quality built case for it while in transport, and follow Kamak's advice regarding temp. and humidity of drums in general.

I always admire the way that symphony orchestra musician's care for their instuments. Though I know it's not always practical or possible for us to do the same.

Last edited:
Re: head tensions, except for very long term storage, your tensions should be fine. With a single lug setup on this shell, it's worth avoiding having one head fully tensioned, and the other completely slack. If changing heads, back off heads in a couple of steps to keep things reasonably even - same on re-tensioning. When changing only one head, back the other head off half way.

I echo Kama's temperature / humidity observations. Very low humidity is the one that's most likely to cause the most issues, so worth avoiding super arid conditions for any length of time.

On storage, a good rigid case is a worthwhile investment for many reasons, but evening out any significant environment changes is one to highlight here. The Protection Racket fleece lined lightweight rigid cases are something I can highly recommend from years of personal experience. I think I have 20+ of these cases in total.

excellent advice guys - thanks to all...great to hear Jeremy's 3 decade experience with his solid N&C - nice to know

this snare stays in my house in an Ahead fleece bag (isn't that as good as Protection racket or hard case?) - humidity in my house hovers between 40% and 53%, whether AC or heater is on (I'm near Austin, ugh :).

I will back off all tensions when changing heads - thank you.

this snare stays in my house in an Ahead fleece bag (isn't that as good as Protection racket or hard case?) - humidity in my house hovers between 40% and 53%, whether AC or heater is on (I'm near Austin, ugh :).

An inexpensive bag is 95% as good as an expensive bag in terms of temperature/humidity. I do not recommend sealed (airtight) hard cases due to condensation issues.

Expensive bags/cases 'do' offer other benefits, such as improved impact protection. But those benefits are outside the scope of this thread, and at the risk of making a Dad joke, need to be evaluated on a case-by-case basis.

When changing heads - always detune ( loosen ) the resonant side before swapping out the top head . You will get less lug twist and strain on the shell .

I have one of the first Walnut Solid shells N&C ever made ( mine is #4) and it is a joy to play . Make sure ( as previously stated) to keep it stored in a room with controlled humidity . If you aren’t playing for long periods of time it would be prudent to back off the tension.

I picked up a Noble&Cooley solid ply snare in August and it has successfully made the transition from my basements’s summer dehumidifier to the heating system’s humidifier during the winter months. I keep it in its Ahead bag (shop didn’t stock PR) and I never allow one side to remain tight while changing the opposite head as a general rule for all snares. Off topic tip: swapping out the stock bespoke wires will substantially impact the drum’s tone.

Attachments

• 6C83E1AD-1D00-4231-B07F-F11C31F03CDD.jpeg
    6C83E1AD-1D00-4231-B07F-F11C31F03CDD.jpeg
    287.5 KB · Views: 3
Thanks SteadyPocket - so I was thinking about swapping out those N&C wires for puresound equalizer wires which I have - are you saying that's a good idea or don't?

For my life I cannot get the N&C wires to cease buzzing at any tension or setting - and they are perfectly straight and balanced on the reso head...meaning when playing the snare, the wires buzz like crazy after each hit, no matter what tension, unless I choke it very badly, which obviously don't want to do.

Thanks SteadyPocket - so I was thinking about swapping out those N&C wires for puresound equalizer wires which I have - are you saying that's a good idea or don't?

For my life I cannot get the N&C wires to cease buzzing at any tension or setting - and they are perfectly straight and balanced on the reso head...meaning when playing the snare, the wires buzz like crazy after each hit, no matter what tension, unless I choke it very badly, which obviously don't want to do.

So I replaced the stock wires with Puresound Custom 20 strand steel wires. I was expecting a slight change but to my surprise, the change was significant, for the better. I find the N&C to be a bit finicky, and the reso head always detunes after the drum sits for a while. Great drum when dialed in though.

Interesting. I've never heard of loosening the opposite head when changing heads. I've never done it and I've never had an issue. Which proves nothing, I just don't recall reading anything about this here before today, Thursday, November 28th, 2019.

Interesting. I've never heard of loosening the opposite head when changing heads. I've never done it and I've never had an issue. Which proves nothing, I just don't recall reading anything about this here before today, Thursday, November 28th, 2019.
My comment was aimed mainly at the single point lugs fitted to this drum Larry.

Back