Can’t play double bass anymore, feels bad man.

Toivo Ukkonen

So about 4 months ago maybe, I just lost the ability to play double bass. I used to be able to play some pretty fast double bass (for example I was able to play Hammer smashed face, raining blood, angel of death etc.), but then just all of sudden one day I couldn’t play anymore. I remember that at the start I played with a bunch of the bigger muscles in my legs, but also calves and ankles. I remember waking up with my hip flexor being sore one day from playing double bass. I kind of transitioned into playing with just my calves, but then i realised I couldn’t play slower double bass with just my calves and the next thing you know I couldn’t play fast double bass with my hip flexors. Then I lost the ability to play fast with calves. So I’m guessing this has something to do with not being able to play too often, since I was only able to play at my friends house around once a week, but then 2 months ago I got my own kit and double bass pedal, and I’ve been practicing daily, but I still can’t get it to work. Oh, and another quite strange this is that it didnt take me a lot of practice to play fast double bass originally, I practiced it for a couple of days and I just got it to work. I’m pretty fucking depressed that I can’t play double bass anymore and I need some motherfucking help.

You are stressing yourself out. This happens to all of us. If you don't think you can do it, you won't be able to. It's just muscle memory, your body doesn't forget. The mind and body needs to work together, yours are at odds right now.

Your legs might be trying to get you to move into a new technique. Your seat height may be too low/high. Your legs just might need a break. Whatever it may be, you haven't lost it.

Take a break from it. Learn something different drum wise. Give your mind a new focus, something else to get frustrated about for a while. When you get pissed about that, go back and revisit your feet. This is completely normal.

Don't be depressed, it's only drums. No one has died. Just breathe, relax, and let it go. There are numerous other things worth more mental angst than getting stuck on a drum thing. You will be fine.

You are stressing yourself out. This happens to all of us. If you don't think you can do it, you won't be able to. It's just muscle memory, your body doesn't forget. The mind and body needs to work together, yours are at odds right now.

Your legs might be trying to get you to move into a new technique. Your seat height may be too low/high. Your legs just might need a break. Whatever it may be, you haven't lost it.

Take a break from it. Learn something different drum wise. Give your mind a new focus, something else to get frustrated about for a while. When you get pissed about that, go back and revisit your feet. This is completely normal.

Don't be depressed, it's only drums. No one has died. Just breathe, relax, and let it go. There are numerous other things worth more mental angst than getting stuck on a drum thing. You will be fine.
Now that I think about it, I don’t really have a proper drum throne yet, I’m using this shitty shitty wooden chair that keeps tilting and is way too low. But I’ll take a break and get an actual drum throne and see what happens then I guess. Thanks.

Your settings may have changed, you have over done it and need a break. both are possible. Either way how long have you been playing? It sounds like you are new. It's going to take years to get tight double bass down consistent, fast, and accurate.

Practice, give it time. slow down. and relax. it will come

Yeah, I am quite new to drumming, been only playing for a little over than a year, but about the pedal settings, I'm quite sure they are pretty much the same,but there may be something I'm missing. AnywaysI'm gonna take a little break and see what happens then.

All drumming problems start in the mind and this is no exception. Stop with the negative thoughts, get out of your own way, and just get on with putting the time in. You say you picked it up quick, but I know that nothing, especially something like a fast, clean, double bass drum skill...nothing like that comes in just a few practices. beyondbetrayal will tell you all about that. He could offer some pointers on a good way to do double bass, and if he does, listen up. I don't know because I'm not a double bass player, but it seems like raising and lowering your big muscles...maybe there's a better way. There usually is. Your hip flexor was sore because maybe you overworked it is my guess.

Well what I have been doing the last year or so is shedding for about a half hour a day just playing singles slow to as fast as I can play consistently and then start adding paradidles, doubles and quads varying the speed. Always make sure you are playing consistently and the speed and precision will come. Now I have been playing for 40 years but my doubles were nowhere near as fast as my hands but now they are. It is amazing how you can improve when you use discipline when practicing and knowing when you have had enough for the day. You come back tomorrow and you will feel the improvement little by little.
Thank you for the advice! Can I ask you if you perhaps play in a band?

You mentioned seat height being much lower now than in your practice space. Also mentioned a hip flexor injury. That can definitely happen when sitting too low.
First step is make sure you have a comfortable, non-injury inducing practice setup.
What is the difference in leg angle between your current practice setup and the one you had in your rehearsal space?

You mentioned seat height being much lower now than in your practice space. Also mentioned a hip flexor injury. That can definitely happen when sitting too low.
First step is make sure you have a comfortable, non-injury inducing practice setup.
What is the difference in leg angle between your current practice setup and the one you had in your rehearsal space?
Oh, I may have been too vague in my post, but the problem with my hip flexor was back in the rehearsal space, and I cant quite remember how high I was sitting, but I know that it was higher than right now. Now theres a little under a 90 degree angle with my calves and thighs, so it's definitely too low for me, last time I was at the rehearsal space, I would say my legs we're at a 100 degree angle or so.

Less than 90 degrees is a tough position to play double bass from.
100 degrees doesn't sound bad. I've never really taken a protractor out for these things, but some location where hips are higher than knees is a good starting point.

Less than 90 degrees is a tough position to play double bass from.
100 degrees doesn't sound bad. I've never really taken a protractor out for these things, but some location where hips are higher than knees is a good starting point.
Yeah, I really just need to save some money and buy an actual drum throne, but all my moneys gone to concerts :p

Back