Does this bass drum make me look small?

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
I've truly been enjoying the 14/18/26 kit, but now after I've seen this photo, being 5' 00", I think the big drums make me look small. Maybe I'll go back to the 9x13 rack tom?

Remember back in the day when kids rode bicycles? Short kids who couldn't reach the pedals yet had wood blocks on the pedals. You could always raise the seat some more...

I just admire you for gigging that kit!

I use a 20 inch kick, that way I look larger LOL as I am vertically challenged also

Look at it this way, you are taller than 2 of those drums stacked on top of each other, by the better part of a foot.

None of it looks off in any way IMO.

The lady behind you is looking at your butt.
You might need a lawyer for that.

Dang did you have to mic it? Seems that's the benefit of a 26 in kick-you don't need no amplification LOL. Man I think that big ole kick looks fantastic-pretty old school skit if you ask me. Go Bo. It's a good thing it isn't a ported head cause the air boom would cut them down at the knees. Is that a single ply reso head on that kick? How deep is the kick-is it shallow enough for punch or do you have to tune it just so to not be too boomy? It looks awesome but you need something on that big dang head it's just too much empty canvas. I should qualify the kick head-not yours LOL.

Meh, at the end of the day it comes down to the sound. But hauling that thing would suck.. I would prefer to sound good rather than put forth an image myself though.

All the swingin' big band drummers sat behind huge bass drums and looked similarly small in comparison to modern drummers sitting behind smaller ones.
You're in good company, a badge of honor!

2019-11-11_20-04-51.jpg

Dang did you have to mic it? Seems that's the benefit of a 26 in kick-you don't need no amplification LOL. Man I think that big ole kick looks fantastic-pretty old school skit if you ask me. Go Bo. It's a good thing it isn't a ported head cause the air boom would cut them down at the knees. Is that a single ply reso head on that kick? How deep is the kick-is it shallow enough for punch or do you have to tune it just so to not be too boomy? It looks awesome but you need something on that big dang head it's just too much empty canvas. I should qualify the kick head-not yours LOL.
Actually, the whole kit is mic'ed up. We were playing outside and if you don't run through the PA, the drums just sound thin. It's a standard 26x14, with a 14x10 rack tom and a 18x16 floor tom. The guys dug it and there was this glorious bottom head coming from the drums - the audience actually noticed (apparently lots of bands play where we were and they don't mic the drums, so I decided to do so).
But today I've gone back to using a 9x13 rack tom, with both 16x16 and 16x18 floor toms, and I lowered everything a couple of inches and it feels much more comfortable.

Oddly enough, I have another gig with another band I've never met coming up, and their set list includes a bit of Led Zeppelin. They're even doing Dazed & Confused. Wow. I'm surprised people want to sit through 15 minutes of that at a bar/restaurant.

All the swingin' big band drummers sat behind huge bass drums and looked similarly small in comparison to modern drummers sitting behind smaller ones.
You're in good company, a badge of honor!

View attachment 88388
So true! Buddy, Gene, Chick Webb.....all those early swing guys played either 26 or 28 inchers. It was unheard of to have anything smaller before the 50s, I guess.

And I have no trouble hauling this around. It fits in the passenger section of my quad cab on the truck. It's easier to deal with than a 22x16 or 22x18.

Back