Vic Firth "Extreme"

Mastiff

I'm curious what others think about these. I normally use 5B and tried the X5B. They're only 1/2" longer, but it seems to make a huge difference in reaching around the kit. I'm surprised how much such a small difference can make. On the other hand, I think I'm fatiguing faster when going fast on the hi-hat. It's only been a day though, so maybe it's in my head, or just the extra weight from going from chewed down sticks to new ones.

I play VF HD4s. I tried the Steve Jordan model which is similar in diameter, but like 1/2" to 3/4" longer. I could immediately feel a difference in the stick. The fulcrum was shifted farther forward, and that made the stick feel top heavy. It made my hands fatigue faster, and I couldn't get the speed out of it as I could the HD4s. I ended up cutting the SJs down to the same length as the HD4s and everything felt normal again.

So no, I don't think it is in your head.

I like the longer Freestyle versions better than the Extremes, but I guess that's a whole other concept.

I'd like to try the freestyles, but I rely on the double-glaze, and I don't think they do the freestyles with that coating yet.

I'd like to try the freestyles, but I rely on the double-glaze, and I don't think they do the freestyles with that coating yet.

A little can of Minwax Gloss Polyurethane will make any of your sticks "Double Glaze". Just dip the butt end in (or brush it on) and let it dry.

I just picked up a pair of these the other day. I was in Guitar Center and I struck up a conversation with one of the drum instructors. He recommended them. I didn’t get them at first I purchased a pair of Vic’s regular 5A’s.. when I paid I half joked that at $10 bucks a pair they should be a gold center or something. The cashiers was joking with me she liked my accent and she said your right they are expensive. Go get another pair, which I though was way cool of her. So I decided to grab the extremes to try them out. I’m kind of up in the air about them at the moment. The first few days I used them but I have switched to the regular 5A’s. Which in itself is a new stick for me. I had previously using 7A’s. But since my return to drumming 2 months ago the 7A’s just don’t have enough meat for me anymore. Not sure what’s changed maybe because I. Getting older (I’m 58 ) or after 8+ years of inactivity I just need a heavier stick. I don’t know but I’m firmly entrenched in the 5A camp. I will continue to access each stick. Not even sure I’m sticking with Vic Firth. I’ve never really developed an absolute love for one brand or a particular stick. i’m Still looking to see what I like.

I'm coming around to the conclusion that I'm not a big fan of the X5B. The extra reach is nice, but other than that I feel less coordinated with them and they're top heavy. I'm going to keep using them since I chew through sticks pretty fast anyway, but I think there's a reason why the standard sticks are the way they are.

I'm addicted to trying out new sticks though, so I'll give the freestyles a shot at some point.

I've considered that, but not tried it. Have you?
I've been dipping my sticks in Minwax high gloss brushing lacquer for over a year now. I built a little contraption out of PVC pipes and parts. I actually double dip mine. Dip it once and let it dry for a day and then dip it again. I then let those dry for a few days to a week, depending on the season and temperature. I have six pair of Vater 5As drying on the back porch right now. I love the feel of Regal Tip, but they are hard to get and a little expensive. Online RT can be $10 to $14 a pair. I can buy the Vaters online for $6.50 a pair. This way I can get the feel I like on any brand or model.

i have VF 5As and X5As... somedays one or the other just feels better, for whatever reason

same goes for the VicGrip coating... some days its good, other days not

so i keep all four types... for whenever...

The extra reach is nice, but other than that I feel less coordinated with them and they're top heavy.

Take your normal 5Bs and set them next to the X5Bs. Cut the off the butts of the X5Bs so the sticks are the same length. The fulcrum should return to where you like it. If you do, and it does, this should tell you what you like in length of stick. Thickness is a different variable, but still something to keep in mind. I personally think that length is first, thickness is second.

I've been dipping my sticks in Minwax high gloss brushing lacquer for over a year now. I built a little contraption out of PVC pipes and parts. I actually double dip mine. Dip it once and let it dry for a day and then dip it again. I then let those dry for a few days to a week, depending on the season and temperature. I have six pair of Vater 5As drying on the back porch right now. I love the feel of Regal Tip, but they are hard to get and a little expensive. Online RT can be $10 to $14 a pair. I can buy the Vaters online for $6.50 a pair. This way I can get the feel I like on any brand or model.

I tried some spray-can Minwax poly due to convenience, and that does not seem to work. It is nice and shiny, but dried with no tack the like the Vic double glazes have. I guess I'll have to try some other products such as your lacquer to see what works for me.

I tried some spray-can Minwax poly due to convenience, and that does not seem to work. It is nice and shiny, but dried with no tack the like the Vic double glazes have. I guess I'll have to try some other products such as your lacquer to see what works for me.
To me, dipping it in Minwax feels slightly tackier than the double glaze or Regal Tip. I found that single dipping doesn't quite give me the feel I like. I do have to double dip like I described above.

Back