Best snare for $100 or less

You can't go wrong with a Pearl Sensitone.
lgy18t2.png

Also see how this sounds, it could be a real winner.
EULgKrL.png

I have the Pearl Steel Sensitone and bought it used for around $94. It is high quality and sounds pretty good, but I use it primarily for loud(er) gigs since it really can cut through.

I had a Slingy snare from a Spirit 1000 kit. Looks just like that one. It was a good sounding, quality snare. Never had any issues with it at all. That one looks well taken care of. I'd grab it in a heartbeat.

Shopgoodwill.com. Search drum. I bought a mint Premier Hi Fi there for less than$90 including shipping. I have 14 snares and it's one of the best I own.

You need the Pearl Sensitone steel snare drum. Great snare drum. You might find one for less on Ebay. Or elsewhere.

The badge on that Slingerland snare suggests later 1970's.
I'm sure its a fine drum.

I am intrigued by the Pearl and Slingerland, and I found this one they also had for $149. Any thoughts? Its COW but I can't gauge what era its from or what its made out of. https://www.musicgoround.com/produc...-slingerland-14x5-chrome-over-wood-snare-drum
I doubt it'll sound as good as the metal Slingerland. Wood is much less consistent, more prone to imperfections, bearing edge defects, warping, etc. It could have a vintage sound to it, which may not be what you want for Rock. (modern rock at least)

But you never know, give it a try in person. :)

I would say you could get the best snare for $100. by finding a used one. Check the Milwaukee Craigslist or other used areas like pawn shops or thrift shops.

You can certainly find a used steel snare for a song. You can't go wrong with that Pearl steel Sensitone at $99. That's a no-brainer IMO.
I'm also partial to the Yamaha steel snares with the inverted bead.

You can find used Mapex MPX snares online for less than a hundred. I think one of the sellers on eBay has a new 8" MPX maple snare for around that much.

Look for PDP CX or SX series. If you search hard enough you'll find them somewhere in the 75 to 150 price range and won't find a better snare drum for the money. FYI. The shells are identical to the comparable DW shells, just branded PDP. Then again if you don't want wood shells, look for Pearl Sensitone steel, or even Slingerland Festival which is also steel. I've seen brass piccolo snares on Ebay for 99 bucks plus shipping.

I just bought a Premier Astria from the 90s. It's the replacement for the Premier XPK and was only produced until 1999 for 1 year. Then it was replaced by the Premier Artist. It is a birch shell in 14" x 5.5".
I paid 80 bucks for it and was absolutely blown away how good it sounds! It totally outplayed my 70's Supraphonic!
It has a very open, warm wooden sound, but with a lot of crack! Love it especially for Jazz.

Attachments

• Premier Snare 1.jpg
    Premier Snare 1.jpg
    200.8 KB · Views: 6
  • Premier Snare 2.jpg
    Premier Snare 2.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 6
  • Premier_5a.jpg
    Premier_5a.jpg
    472.3 KB · Views: 6
Yamaha Stage Custom 14x6.5 Steel. 10 lugs & simply the best snare for that money

You can't go wrong with a Pearl Sensitone.
lgy18t2.png

EULgKrL.png
This Slingerland drum is from the Gibson Music Yo era, and is imported. Don't let that scare you, though. These are great sounding snares. I read some people that complain about the throwoff not working well with these, but the three I have have worked perfectly - so far. These sold new for about $100 according to one source I read. Not verified.

GeeDeeEmm

Back