Tom position relative to kick drum

Durbs

Something I've noticed but wasn't sure if it was down to the drummers limb-length or drums, or a combination of, but where do most people's rack toms sit relative to their kick drum?

I've seen some where the high or mid tom is "within" the space of the kick (i.e. it doesn't extend over the batter of the kick drum):
eWb3lJnxQxVg8oqjvuub-unfKTNzeOTyiYuPfT1qkLQ.jpg

to others some where 50% of the drum is hanging over the batter.
zm7d1ka9hso01.jpg

There's lots of factors coming into play I'm guessing - tom-depth and snare-height both would affect how close things could get. Then length of legs (for kick position) and arms (for tom position), and overall height which to an extent dictates how flat you can sit your toms and hit them correctly...

This is purely out of curiosity, not thinking there's a "right" answer :)

I'm a one up-two down guy, so I have the single rack just off center of the kick. My ride occupies what would be the second rack, so it feels good all around.

I prefer my rack tom sit right in front of the snare. However, there are a couple of shared kits I play from week to week where the rack tom is altered slightly.

I'm tall, and my toms are positioned about half their width over the kick's batter head. Just a bit closer to me than tom 2 in your second pic.

There's lots of factors coming into play I'm guessing - tom-depth and snare-height both would affect how close things could get. Then length of legs (for kick position) and arms (for tom position), and overall height which to an extent dictates how flat you can sit your toms and hit them correctly...

This is purely out of curiosity, not thinking there's a "right" answer :)

This is exactly why. People are (ideally) going to set up so that nothing feels like a stretch for them and everything feels like it's naturally under the sticks.

My rule of thumb is to place everything where it's possible to play on top of it, rather than into it; never twist your body more than 45 degrees in either direction; and never put anything where you need to fully extend a limb to play it.

I like the bottom edge of the tom over the edge of the bass drum, so the top edge is a little closer than that.
It has a lot to do with how high your seat is, which affects how far your leg has to go to reach the pedal. To me, the snare and tom are fixed, and the bass drum moves closer or further depending how much I want to be above the bass pedal rather than reaching out for it.

I like my rack tom to be a bit closer than the rim on the kick. It's almost dead center in line with the snare. I play my pedals in the center of the footboard so I need the kick a bit farther out.

My own personal rule of thumb: if I can't touch the center of the head or wingnut on the cymbals with either hand, from the throne without leaning forward, it's too far away.

Not gonna be one size fits all thing.

I've only had a 4-piece with minimal cymbals set up in the shed for a couple of years. When I now recenly put up the 6-piece again I pretty much solved the ride issue by rasing my throne a bit. I guess I was less hung about it too, as I don't have much access to my own kit these days.

I just adjusted my playing set up recently. I wanted to try my rack toms a little more to the right, as they used to sit way far to the left, so my ride cymbal could come in further left over the bass drum. I'm really liking how this is feeling.

Edit: I realize now you mean in relation to the kick head. I see mine are rather deep in comparison. Never thought about this.. just set it up where it felt comfortable.

Attachments

• setup.jpg
    setup.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 14
You need to have your snare drum positioned properly first, and then you can position your tom-toms so that they're comfortable to play properly. If you have your toms higher, you can bring them closer and tilt them. If they're as low as they'll go, the tom in front of the snare will be a bit further.

If the toms mount to the bass drum, this is as far back as I can get the toms to sit over the bass drum. I adjust to it and it's okay.

COTflyh.jpg

If I can position the toms where ever I want, I put them pretty far back so half of the toms are off the back of the bass drum. It's just comfortable for me to play it that way, but then the bass drum is all sticking out the front really far and rude.

ViDfuat.jpg

aKKAcgM.jpg

My one mounted tom is almost at the middle of the bass drum, hanging slightly over hoop. Peace and goodwill.

I more or less have mine a bot offset of directly in front of me. This pic is from the first set up after unboxing, ride came a little closer (I was too excited and took a photo before playing) but the rack tom stays in the same general area, right on the batter head-center of the hoop area.

Long legs push me back a bit, and long arms make up some of the difference.
20200930_154337.jpg

What about mounting toms on a stand in front of the bass drum? I remember freaking out when I first saw the rooftop concert.

rooftop.jpg

Back