24” bass drum versatility?

gish

Hey all,
I have an eye on a good deal for a 13-16-24 kit. 30 years on the instrument, but have only owned 22” and 20” bass drums. I primarily play classic rock/pop/country cover stuff. For those that own or have owned 24” bass drums, do you find them to be versatile? Or do you find yourself using a smaller kick for certain situations? I’m looking at this kit to be my new primary kit, and don’t want to feel limited by its capabilities. I think the 24” will suit me just fine; thought I’d at least check with you guys before committing.

I use only a 24" to cover all the ground you mentioned. Works great!

I had a 24x18 Tama B/B with an internal D6 that I used for those genres and it was a beast. Punch and tone for days. I have a 24x9 I cut down from a 24x16 Ludwig Classic Maple and it's ridiculously great. Some will say they are too boomy but it's easy to tame with heads, tuning, and muffling depending on what you want. It may feel different, but you'll get used to it in a few minutes.

Hey all,
I have an eye on a good deal for a 13-16-24 kit. 30 years on the instrument, but have only owned 22” and 20” bass drums. I primarily play classic rock/pop/country cover stuff. For those that own or have owned 24” bass drums, do you find them to be versatile? Or do you find yourself using a smaller kick for certain situations? I’m looking at this kit to be my new primary kit, and don’t want to feel limited by its capabilities. I think the 24” will suit me just fine; thought I’d at least check with you guys before committing.

Quite honestly, if you port, mic, and gate.... It will be a challenge to tell any of the sizes apart.

If you play acoustic, you will perceive a sonic difference between sizes, but you'll find that any size can fit all genres.

The only comparative downside of a 24" is load-in/out. Potentially tom-placement if you're under 6'.

Disclosure: I'm a 13/16/24 player.

I used a 24" kick years ago, and I guess I sort of miss it. I think you will be happy with the sound. The only issue I had with it was fitting it in my car.

Had a few 24s down the years, they're perfect for what you need, same with 20s and 22s. Mostly personal preference.

You'll find nicer low end obviously! Just make sure the drum isn't too deep as you're giving yourself too much air to shift to get the most from the reso head. 14" - 16" deep is where it's at.

If you're a versatile player I'm sure it will be a versatile drum.

I really like a small 16 in bass and a larger 24 in bass drums. They both are just so fun to play. I'm the anti-Goldilocks that likes it too hot or cold-screw that Luke warm crap.

Thanks for the replies so far. Reasons I’m considering this kit-

- I like my current Starclassic B/B kit, but have fallen out of love with the 12-16 setup (I’m a 4 piece guy). I’ve tried 4 different sets of heads and have spent hours tuning; just cannot get what I really want to hear out of the 12”
- I have not been able to find a 13” Tom to match my kit; considered a brand new Walnut Birch Tom (Tama still offers this finish in the W/B line) but I can get a whole kit for the price of that tom
- transporting won’t be an issue since I have a full size truck
- depth of the drum I’m looking at is 15” ( I planned on cutting down my Starclassic bass drum because I too am sick of the 18” beer can bass drums)
- excited yet nervous to try something new. It’s only a drum kit, which I can re-sell if it’s not my cup of tea. I’ve made some gear moves in the past 2 years that I’ve regretted later on. Want to be as sure as possible this time

The 24" is a great size. Also, the only standard size I currently don't have. Right now, I've got 18, 20, 22, 26. But I had a 24 .... a Ludwig 3 ply (which I sold once I got the 26 3 ply. But I could quite possibly have another 24"er soon. I just added Yamaha 7000 14x10, 18x16 toms to my collection .... and they're just begging for a 24 or 26 mate. And I'm leaning towards a 24 .... simply because I don't have one.

Since you have the transportation thing licked ..... full steam ahead. With a muffled head like a Superkick I batter, you can get a really controlled, punchy sound. For a different sound, wide open .... with a PS3 batter, embrace your inner Bonham.

24x15 is right in the sweet spot for 24" BD's and should be just right for the styles you mentioned. I have a set of DW Collectors Maple in 13/16/24. That is a great, time tested configuration for rockin'. Brings the thunder but still in a tight configuration that's easy to transport. My BD is 24x14 and I agree with you, gish, I've owned and played 24x18 drums that sounded great, but I prefer the tighter punch of the shallower depth drums. They are lighter and easier to schlep around while giving you that same great low tone.

Those Tama B/B sets have a pretty short note, so not surprised you struggle with the 12. They are heaven if that’s what you’re looking for. I was all over those, based on reviews, then played them, liked them a lot, but didn’t love them. The larger sizes will open them up for sure.

I hate to keep harping on this, but another example of how it’s not always about heads and tuning. The foundation sets the stage for heads and tuning. Can’t get the the B/B to open up like a Starclassic Maple, unless you choke the Maple. That could be good or bad!

Thanks for the great responses everyone. The kit I am looking at is a used Pearl Session Studio Classic with birch/kapur shells. This kit checks the boxes for me; pro quality shell hardware at a lower price point, 13-16 toms, in great condition. It’s a shame I can’t find a 13” tom for my Starclassic kit; the bass drum and floor tom sound great.
I just can’t get the interval I like with the 12” tom though. My previous kit (Mapex Saturn III) had a 12-16 setup, but i was able to get that kit tuned to a satisfactory interval.

I hate to keep harping on this, but another example of how it’s not always about heads and tuning. The foundation sets the stage for heads and tuning. Can’t get the the B/B to open up like a Starclassic Maple, unless you choke the Maple. That could be good or bad!
+1 on this.

I totally dig the single rack 12" if its paired with smaller sizes. An 18" or 20" bass, and a 14" floor (or 14" & 16" floor). Sweet. But with a 16" floor and 22" (or larger) bass drum ..... I gotta go with a larger rack tom. 13" or 14".

24" is a great, versatile size. One of my favorite kicks is a 14"x24" Gretsch I used to own.

For some reason, I could never get down with a 22" - just wasn't my thing the times I've owned them. Lately, 26" is putting a smile on my face.

Good luck!

Thank you for the replies everyone. I’m going to experiment a bit more with my 12” tom (going to try a few different heads on the reso side based on a friend’s recommendation ) to make sure I absolutely can’t get the interval I’m looking for. Figured it wouldn’t hurt to try a few more heads before forking out the dough for another kit. If I decide to pick up the Pearl kit, I will post back here. Thanks again!

I really like my 24 x 16 Ludwig Keystone X but I truly love my Gretsch USA 24 x 14! I play classic rock and both drums fit the bill.

Thanks for the great responses everyone. The kit I am looking at is a used Pearl Session Studio Classic with birch/kapur shells. This kit checks the boxes for me; pro quality shell hardware at a lower price point, 13-16 toms, in great condition. It’s a shame I can’t find a 13” tom for my Starclassic kit; the bass drum and floor tom sound great.
I just can’t get the interval I like with the 12” tom though. My previous kit (Mapex Saturn III) had a 12-16 setup, but i was able to get that kit tuned to a satisfactory interval.
Does the floor tom measure out as 16x16 or 16x14?

24 x 16 = Holy Grail.... I played that size for several years, but it was for loud rock/metal. (FYI/hybrid triggered) I use a 22 x 16 now as I play more variety in smaller clubs. That is plenty of BD for me at the moment. DW makes a 23" BD. I think that would be kind of cool to experience too...

Back