2112 in a country song??!!

Stroman

Diamond Member
One night our band ended a set with this particular song, and this guy caught me as soon as I came off the stage. He said, "Dude!! That last song had a drum part from 2112 in it!!" At first I thought he was just another drunk bar patron, then I gave it a moment's thought. Sure enough, he was right! It is in there. lol

Which part specifically? I'm curious to do the SxS to hear it. This sounds like a pretty faithful cover of the Dixie Chicks version, and if it is, Greg Morrow was the session drummer for it, so it wouldn't surprise me if he didn't put it in - kind of like a "Wilhelm Scream" thing, but with drums.

Ok - I hear it. I wonder if Greg Morrow did that on purpose, or if he just found something that he felt was going to work, and it ended up being pretty much the same thing.

Ok - I hear it. I wonder if Greg Morrow did that on purpose, or if he just found something that he felt was going to work, and it ended up being pretty much the same thing.

I would bet the latter, but who knows? TBH, I was learning so many songs in those days, and I wasn't listening to country recreationally, so I didn't really delve into the artists at all. I had no idea who the drummer was, sadly.

In one sense, it's not that unique a pattern. It's just the tempo and delivery that make them so similar, I think.

Wow - so this isn't directly related to that drum part, but it's an associated bit of trivia with the writer of the song, David Linde, who also wrote notable songs like Elvis Presley's "Burnin' Love," and "The Wonder of You."

I would bet the latter, but who knows? TBH, I was learning so many songs in those days, and I wasn't listening to country recreationally, so I didn't really delve into the artists at all. I had no idea who the drummer was, sadly.

In one sense, it's not that unique a pattern. It's just the tempo and delivery that make them so similar, I think.
I'm kind of a music trivia nerd sometimes, so I'll look up who a particular drummer or guitar player was, or who wrote the song. For instance, "Goodbye Earl" was originally recorded by a band called "Sons of the Desert," but it was recorded for an album in the late 90s that was never released.

Last edited:
Yeah I think I'm getting what your saying the chorus first starts around 2 minute then later again 3 or so till end -is it both have same sort of rolling sound (descriptor) or is same sticking? On a curious note did Earl live-they sure wanted the SOB dead.

Wow - so this isn't directly related to that drum part, but it's an associated bit of trivia with the writer of the song, David Linde, who also wrote notable songs like Elvis Presley's "Burnin' Love," and "The Wonder of You."

I'm kind of a music trivia nerd sometimes, so I'll look up who a particular drummer or guitar player was, or who wrote the song. For instance, "Goodbye Earl" was originally recorded by a band called "Sons of the Desert," but it was recorded for an album in the late 90s that was never released.

Interesting. I can get into trivia at times and on certain subjects, but I never looked into this song. Thanks for sharing that info.

Yeah I think I'm getting what your saying the chorus first starts around 2 minute then later again 3 or so till end -is it both have same sort of rolling sound (descriptor) or is same sticking? On a curious note did Earl live-they sure wanted the SOB dead.

I think it's just 16th notes on the tom and 2 & 4 on the snare, Art. I don't think it matters what sticking was used, but I just did alternating singles.
Oh, and Earl is most definitely dead. lol

While the country song did kinda give me the dry heaves, it’s in there. Thinking about digging out my 2112 LP now.

My oldest sister, may she rest in peace, always used to say, There is no Country Music, just Country Radio stations.

Back