New packaged drums sitting in garage.

harrisal21

So I bought a new kit. Mapex armory and currently won't have time to set it up for about a week and have to store it in my garage. It's still in the boxes all packaged up. I know humidity destroys drums. I'm in VA and tempest are currently low 80s during the day and dropping to high 60s at night. Since they're still in the boxes will they be fine sitting in the garage for that short of a period?

They’re probably also wrapped in plastic inside the boxes, with a silica gel pack tossed in. They were packed to sustain storage in those boxes. Should be okay.

So you go away for a week on a cruise. The cruise ship sinks, and all of the passengers die. Nobody in your family remembers about the drums in your garage. 80 years later I move to Virginia and I buy a house with an old garage. I discover these old boxes that have never been opened. OMG ! there is a brand new set of Mapex Armory drums in the boxes. They are vintage drums in pristine condition worth thousands of dollars......................

So you go away for a week on a cruise. The cruise ship sinks, and all of the passengers die. Nobody in your family remembers about the drums in your garage. 80 years later I move to Virginia and I buy a house with an old garage. I discover these old boxes that have never been opened. OMG ! there is a brand new set of Mapex Armory drums in the boxes. They are vintage drums in pristine condition worth thousands of dollars......................

I don't know how old you are now, but I suspect that in 80 years you won't be able to open those boxes... :)

Dramatic changes in temp/humidity over a very short period of time may cause problems and wraps in direct sunlight can sometimes be an issue, but otherwise drums are pretty tough. They'll be absolutely fine boxed up in your garage for a week - don't stress about it.
Make sure we get pics once they're set up!!

They'll be fine, I'd be more worried about someone breaking into your garage and stealing them.

I'm getting hung on the "have to store in the garage" part....

Can't think of a reason good enough to keep them out of the (assumed) climate controlled house.

"Sorry Dear, I am not leaving my brand new kit sit in the garage. You won't need to use the dining room table while I am away on business anyway."

Lol

They should be fine. With that said, I'd probably get them off of the floor of the garage if you aren't going to take them inside.

I keep my drums in my van which is a hotbox in the summer and a sub zero freezer in the winter. I kept uncased DW exotic lacquered drums in there for 4 years with zero issues. No checkering of the lacquer or anything. Don't even give them a 2nd thought.

So I bought a new kit. Mapex armory and currently won't have time to set it up for about a week and have to store it in my garage. It's still in the boxes all packaged up. I know humidity destroys drums. I'm in VA and tempest are currently low 80s during the day and dropping to high 60s at night. Since they're still in the boxes will they be fine sitting in the garage for that short of a period?
I keep my drums in my van which is a hotbox in the summer and a sub zero freezer in the winter. I kept uncased DW exotic lacquered drums in there for 4 years with zero issues. No checkering of the lacquer or anything. Don't even give them a 2nd thought.
Similarly, the drummer for the wedding band I'm in on trumpet kept his Yamaha Recording custom on the truck. In the 10+ years he was with the band, I think he only ever pulled those drums off of the truck once or twice, so they were there during the summer, and they were there during the freezing cold winter without detriment to the drums - they'll be fine in your garage. Besides, I'd venture to guess that the warehouse they were stored in prior to them being shipped to you didn't have much going on in the way of temperature control - many warehouses don't.

A tempest must be just that.

Back