Where to position my practice pad?

Jasperdrummer

Is there any particular way on where to position a practice pad? Or is it just about whatever feels most comfortable? I'm using an Evans Realfeel & have it mounted up on a pillow or two usually placed on my bed.

I find that when I position the practice pad I usually think about where I prefer my snare drum to be. Close enough to me & around belly button height so that it's just there & I don't have to go reaching for anything. Is this bad though? I feel as if my rudiments are a lot more sloppy when I position it further away from me.

I'd say position the practice pad so it is appropriate for what you are trying to learn. Usually that is about where the snare drum would be.

If I don't have a stand I use my lap.

Same here. The height is about the same as my snare, and so is the distance from my torso. Luckily I don't play my snare too low or high and keep it pretty flat so the lap is about perfect. I can sit on the couch and watch TV while using the pad.

Same here. The height is about the same as my snare, and so is the distance from my torso. Luckily I don't play my snare too low or high and keep it pretty flat so the lap is about perfect. I can sit on the couch and watch TV while using the pad.
So I guess it's basically just whatever feels most comfortable & making sure that your arms aren't touching your legs or anything whilst playing.

Last edited:
So I guess it's basically just whatever feels most comfortable & making sure that your arms aren't touching your legs or anything whilst playing.

As long as you are maintaining proper posture yes. Ideally you want to mimic how you sit at the kit.

If you are watching TV at the same time, make sure to pay attention to your hands still. Don't get sucked into the show and get sloppy without realizing it.

I use stands, and have the pad heights at the same level my snare would be. If your bed is at a comfortable height, and where your snare would be, than I think that would be perfect.

I have a RealFeel on a snare drum stand - at home I sit on a chair, but in my studio I use a throne. When moving over to the snare drum, nothing changes with my positioning... I also like using the pad in the snare stand because I can really play louder dynamics (working my wrists). I play a pad with the same kind of dynamic intensity and variety as I would an actual drum.

Unless I'm camping and don't have the room to sit up I'll use a stand. It doesn't have to be anything fancy. Getting things in propper height and position is crucial position.

Unless I'm doing something specific or have multiple pads it's in the snare position.

I tend to move mine. Your floor tom, snare tom, hats are all over the place. Why only practice in one spot. As long as you are not reaching and can keep good form I don't even think about it.

Sometimes it is enjoyable to place it on a countertop and practice while standing up. I don't think the exact position, angle, or height of your pad is that important. Our brains and hands are good at adjusting in an instant.

Back