Anyone know what kind of gear/model late drummer Derrick Plourde used on his kit?

TxGroove

If your a 90's kid or just like punk rock from that era-of-time, then you might know who the late drummer, Derrick Plourde is. He played for bands such as the Ataris, Mad Caddies, RKL and more but mainly known for playing in the progressive punk rock band Lagwagon. Does anyone have any insight on what kind of setup he had? I've been searching the internet like a hawk but unfortunately to no avail. I believe his kit was a Ludwig, but I'm not 100% sure, though the lugs look a whole lot like the Ludwig 60's style swivel's in the photo below on the tom tom... I don't know the dimensions of the drums he used; such as bass, tom toms, and snare drum but in one photo (as shown below) it looks like he is using a Slingerland marching snare drum, that looks to be about 10x14?? In most photos and videos I've seen it looks as if all his drums are larger then average, like a custom set. Also, I read somewhere that he used Tama iron cobra pedals, but I'm not exactly sure what model line of production they where. All I can say is they were Tama brand. Even the brand of heads he used would be cool to know. I try to model my drumming off Derrick, he is really the first drummer that truly inspired me to play the drums when I was a young kid. Bottom line is if anybody knows ANYTHING about his drum kit setup it would be of help. Thanks!

Attachments

• d81b012de1398235fce09b3534384914.jpg
    d81b012de1398235fce09b3534384914.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 525
Last edited:
Those look like Ludwigs to me. Could be maple classics. Could be old Rockers. I have no idea.

Not sure about the snare.

A lot of guys who play aren't gear heads the way a lot of us on here are. Therefore, there may not be a lot of chatter online about what they used.

Those look like Ludwigs to me. Could be maple classics. Could be old Rockers. I have no idea.

Not sure about the snare.

A lot of guys who play aren't gear heads the way a lot of us on here are. Therefore, there may not be a lot of chatter online about what they used.

I can see the Classic Ludwig series in the kit, maybe the Rockers too, but I haven't rreally seen the Rockers with a deep shell, maybe they make them but idk. There has been some chatter online about what he used but not nearly enough :p

but I haven't rreally seen the Rockers with a deep shell, maybe they make them but idk.

Here's a pic of some Ludwig Rockers from the 80's with deep shells.

Someone once told me that old rockers from the 80s used American maple shells. I think you would be fine either way.

And another thing to look at as well is the fact that a lot of players, even a large number of pros, aren't really the "gear head" types. He may have been the kind of person to not even know what he was playing or not pay much attention or not even cared.

yhowfm7mwbnpi969ystw.jpg

Here's a pic of some Ludwig Rockers from the 80's with deep shells.

Someone once told me that old rockers from the 80s used American maple shells. I think you would be fine either way.

And another thing to look at as well is the fact that a lot of players, even a large number of pros, aren't really the "gear head" types. He may have been the kind of person to not even know what he was playing or not pay much attention or not even cared.

yhowfm7mwbnpi969ystw.jpg

I think that kit is just about as close of a guess, if not correct you can get to the respected kit model. Its definitely a Ludwig. It helps alot just to know that. I know as for the cymbals it could be anything, but I heard he was playing Paistie's like Bonzo. Iron cobra pedals, either the first line which where metal/chrome plate boards or the popular black colored ones (which I have) As for the skins, who knows.... What kind do you play PorkPieGuy?

What kind do you play PorkPieGuy?

I have two USA Pork Pie kits and a set of Ludwig Maple classics. However, until I find something that suits me better, I'll be playing my Pearl MCX Master's snare drum. I play that snare with everything. It's perfect for me.

I have two USA Pork Pie kits and a set of Ludwig Maple classics. However, until I find something that suits me better, I'll be playing my Pearl MCX Master's snare drum. I play that snare with everything. It's perfect for me.

Hmm, never heard of the pork pie's, are they good? I play a Gene Kupra 5x14 Slingerland metal snare drum... Though, I recently bought a vintage Slingerland 10x14 sparking blue marching snare drum... It has NO muffler! I'm contemplating whether or not I should drill a hole in the side of it and give it a muffler? Sounds to complex and time consuming at-the-moment, so I'll just tape the bad boy for now. Beside it's a project snare.

Hello all, brand new to the forum. I've done research on the gear Derrick used throughout his career in and out over the last few years. He is a top influence on my drumming and it is sad to know he is no longer with us. He never gets the credit he deserves for bringing a new dimension to punk drumming.

For his gear was a Ludwig player; his first kit being the white set posted by OP, used on the first two Lagwagon albums and the pre-Duh demos. From other readings, he had a gray Ludwig set for his last Lagwagon tour in 1995. For sizes, he used a 24 inch kick and power tom size shells (a 13x13 is mentioned, this is yet to be confirmed). Cymbals from my research were surprisingly thinner weights; Zildjian K hi hats (he had a Paiste crash on his left side which appeared to be a mainstay on his kit). Pedals were first run Iron Cobra, he used a Slug Percussion Power Head Beater later on since they didn't come out until March 1995 (I got one myself because of Derrick).

This is all I know so far, I'm glad I found this thread and there are other drummers who credit Derrick for his level of ability.

Last edited:
I am 100% certain that those white drums pictured are early 80's Ludwig Duo Modular,(not rockers) they are the same type of drums that Bomer from RKL can be seen playing in pics and videos (Bomer's Kit also White). You can tell they are modulars from the Lagwagon Live 1994 Know it all video on YT. The only other thing IIRC is that he played an Iron Cobra with a DW beater, and later switched out to a Slug beater.

Does anyone know anything about his kit with the small longhorn sticker on the top BD head? He used these in RKL.

Last edited:
I am 100% certain that those white drums pictured are early 80's Ludwig Duo Modular,(not rockers) they are the same type of drums that Bomer from RKL can be seen playing in pics and videos (Bomer's Kit also White). You can tell they are modulars from the Lagwagon Live 1994 Know it all video on YT. The only other thing IIRC is that he played an Iron Cobra with a DW beater, and later switched out to a Slug beater.

Does anyone know anything about his kit with the small longhorn sticker on the top BD head? He used these in RKL.
His first drum kit was fore-sure a Ludwig pure white coat. I don't even think it had sparkles on it, just solid white. Now, I don't know what model make they were or, what year they were made. That's purely up for conjecture. All I know from what I've seen in older videos, his first drum kit was the white Ludwig set.

As for the early 2000 videos when he was with RKL, he played on the maroon colored kit that was a Ludwig, at first glance I thought it was a Tama. I know that for a fact because you can see the badge on the rack tom in the shape of the Keystone badge Ludwig uses (As seen in the photos I found that were the most closest and clearest view). This was the maroon kit. (8 lug rack tom assuming 13" x 13" with the 24" X 18" maybe 18? I'm pretty sure it was)

Also, I think he played on a grey drum kit sometimes. Not exactly sure what brand, but i would have guessed they were Ludwig's or Tama's, i'm pretty sure 90% of his gear came from Ludwig. It helps to that you know 100% fore-sure that the white kit was Ludwig Duo Modulars, even though you can see where you would get confused with the Rockers. It's the white kit I wanna know more about the most. That helps!

Do you know what foot-board IC he was using? Such as the 2nd gen. solid black foot-board, or the 1st gen. silver foot-board with horizontal stripes? Do you know what particular beaters they were?
Screenshot - 56-1.pngScreenshot - 61-1.png

Last edited:
A read somewhere that he was using a first gen Iron Cobra with a slug beater in the Trashed era.
This is the 1st Generation Iron Cobra Pedal. I got the same one but with the Rolling Glide Cam and a single chain assembly w/ slug beater.

I can see why he would use the IC, simply if you want to play fast, along with playing hard and loud while doing doubles.
I also was browsing Modulars, and they are identical looking on the first kit, along with the maroon kit in relation with his older kit. Hard to find them nowadays.

His cymbals where pasties ofc. I still wonder what skins he used, doubt I'll ever know.
history3_L.jpg

Last edited:
He used the same maroon kit from RKL with Lagwagon in 1995. You can see it here:

Something else up for debate: his snare drum. As seen previously, he had a marching snare drum with his white kit. Later on he used a maple Pearl Free Floater judging by this image:

derrick.jpg

However this picture says he used a third snare. A Rocket Shells carbon fiber snare 6x14:

2019-09-11-1.png

It also appears he used the same 1st Gen IC throughout his career.
His drumstick of choice was the Promark 2B Hickory Natural Wood Tip. Regarding the longhorn icon, that's something that dates back to the Trashed era. He's wearing a shirt with the same graphic on it in the Island Of Shame video.

Last edited:
He used the same maroon kit from RKL with Lagwagon in 1995. You can see it here:

Something else up for debate: his snare drum. As seen previously, he had a matching snare drum with his white kit. It looks like later on he used a maple Pearl Free Floater judging by this image:

However this picture says he used a third snare. Unsure of the brand/make of it, but looks like a 5x14 of sorts:

It also appears he used the same 1st Gen IC throughout his career.
His drumstick of choice from my research was the Promark 747 Hickory Natural Wood Tip. Regarding the longhorn icon, that's something that dates back to the Trashed era. He's wearing a shirt with the same graphic on it in the Island Of Shame video.
Thanks for the feedback my man! So, I guess he used a white snare with the white kit.

I notice it was a deeper shell on the white kit. So, I came to confirm he was using a marching snare drum; 10 x 14 in white pearl/marine finish.

As for the drum sticks, that's a new one for me. I appreciate the specifics! I love watching this video. His live performances where even better than the studio albums I heard. Was a sight to be hold.

Thanks bud

Last edited:
I'm happy to contribute where I can! As I've said before Derrick is a huge influence on my playing, especially in his snare and foot work. I can say for a fact the white drum kit he first played was a direct nod to RKL. If you go back and listen to Bomer's work, you can hear the influence carry over to Derrick's technique.

Did he really use a 10 x14 marching snare? I'm interested to know about that.

Thanks for the feedback my man! So, I guess he used a white snare with the white kit.

I notice it was a deeper shell on the white kit. So, I came to confirm he was using a marching snare drum; 10 x 14 in white pearl/marine finish.

As for the drum sticks, that's a new one for me. I appreciate the specifics! I love watching this video. His live performances where even better than the studio albums I heard. Was a sight to be hold.

Thanks bud

I’m looking at this brown kit, this appears to be a Ludwig kit. Another Duo Modular kit if I’m not mistaken, look at the bass drum Spurs, there are spots for 4 spurs, it appears the back 2 are either missing or not in use. Again look at the modular hardware. I’m convinced this is either another Ludwig Duo Modular kit or albeit a stretch, it could possibly be the same white kit but refinished. That snare pictured has odd small round black lugs, but a good indicator of what the brand could be.

I'm happy to contribute where I can! As I've said before Derrick is a huge influence on my playing, especially in his snare and foot work. I can say for a fact the white drum kit he first played was a direct nod to RKL. If you go back and listen to Bomer's work, you can hear the influence carry over to Derrick's technique.

Did he really use a 10 x14 marching snare? I'm interested to know about that.
Thanks, I could use as much info about anything relating to Derrick's set up. Yeah, I agree which you. I noticed the same in both their sound and also their speed sounding relatively similar. I was watching a video of RKL, which had some pretty clear closeups on Bomer's foot-work. I think they were playing at the Reseda Club. You should check that out if you haven't yet.

As for my belief in the marching snare. If you look at the first photo (b&w) you can notice the shell on the snare drum is a bit deeper. And one thing to note is how both top and bottom hoops connect to it's own lugs for each tension rod. Such as in a traditional snare drum, say; a 14 x 6.5 snare drum where ALL rods connect to just one lug.

That makes me believe that in this particular photo, he was playing on a marching snare. Tho, I've only seen it on this one image. So, I don't know how long he stuck with it.

This is my marching snare I recently found and picked. Check out the similar qualities. It's a 10 x 14 Slingerland and has a regular throw and everything. 20190913_161325-01-1.jpg 20190913_161412-1.jpg

Last edited:
I’m looking at this brown kit, this appears to be a Ludwig kit. Another Duo Modular kit if I’m not mistaken, look at the bass drum Spurs, there are spots for 4 spurs, it appears the back 2 are either missing or not in use. Again look at the modular hardware. I’m convinced this is either another Ludwig Duo Modular kit or albeit a stretch, it could possibly be the same white kit but refinished. That snare pictured has odd small round black lugs, but a good indicator of what the brand could be.
That brings up a good point about the wrap... It does look a whole lot like the white kit. I'm leaning more toward the Modular Duo, because of the Ludwig boom stands with the counterweights connected to the end of each boom arms on most of these photos. I actually own the same type style Modular Duo boom w/ the weights deigned my Ludwig that I use for my ride cymbal.

In the third image, that looks to be a DW due to the circular lugs, maybe gray... If I remember correctly, I think he actually used a gray kit sometime in his career... I might have just thought it was a gray. But that looks like a DW snare drum, not sure what model.

Back