Low class unknown drummers

Bo - it kinda looks like a clown snare. It has colored stripes, and a rendition of sunglasses and a California license plate. It's $1,495. For that much money I can find a Craviotto or N&C.

Is the "Low Class" Drummers thesis that far off? To put it another way: is attaching the name of "Jim Keltner" to this snare worth a premium? Signed by John Good and numbered, only 250 will ever be made. Is it worth the premium?View attachment 87398

The "ugliness" is based on one of Keltner's kits that he used on hundreds of recordings. . .there was a Concept behind the design.

Personally, I didn't know who Keltner was. I even watched the video when it came out a month ago or so. Didn't even bother looking him up. It's hard to know who EVERY great musician is. With that said, I'm not saying he doesn't deserve it, nor am I trying to sell a drum.

The mere notion that Fame is the only the only thing that proves relevance is laughable. Jim Kardashian maybe? Personally I find " Signature " things distasteful.

Last edited by a moderator:
So I guess you’ve never heard the phrase, “how do you know where you’re going if you don’t know where you been”?

I know I’m specifically talking about music and drumming and hey, you can do it however you want to. But if you apply what I’m talking about to everything, I suppose you like inventing the wheel every time you need one?

Yeah I've heard it, and I love history. But the future is eminent, it's where we are going. I'm more concerned with it than the past. I don't wanna be stuck like most people.

If I do what you talk about everyone doing with my interests, I'd never have time to do any of them because I would be doing endless amounts of research instead.

Race on into the Great Unknown, You Daredevil You.Hurry!

I love Jim Keltner. And that snare could be the most butt ugly drum I've ever seen. But that's Jim. He rolls to his own tune. I couldn't buy it.

I still love the guy.

My favorite part of that Keltner snare is the use of the small lugs... if I could get a whole kit with those lugs I might be veeeery tempted.

The DW performance series uses the smaller lugs-cheaper too!?

I don’t think JK has anything to prove. You can’t argue with the body of work behind him...

To put it another way: is attaching the name of "Jim Keltner" to this snare worth a premium? Signed by John Good and numbered, only 250 will ever be made. Is it worth the premium?

Depends on the buyer.
I've learned over the years that DW is pretty much the Harley-Davidson of drums. You'll pay more for the name on the badge than drums of comparable build quality.

Some ride that brand because of the hype just as some play DW because they're thought to be "the best". Jim having a sig snare from them warrants that price and I'm sure all 250 are gone.

Good for him.

I for one wouldn't pay or play it, but as many DW snares are the bees knees, it's worth it to some.
Like its been said, if you don't want it, don't buy it. Nor do you have to waste breath commenting hate on something you wouldn't own anyway.

Every forum (social media) has a little trolling every now and then, a little shouting every now and then, a little ignorance every now and then, a little stupidity every now and then, maybe even a little cursing every now and then, and i am sure i forget to mention some other human deadly sins..

Most likely that person who never heard of Jim Keltner knows a lot of names that we here never heard of..

That makes us also low class..?

Last edited:
I think it's the glazing over of what some of the groundbreaking ( Pioneering ) musicians have contributed that seems a little dismissive, could be seen by some older folk as disrespectful. But how could they know they weren't there. When I saw Zep, I played Hoagy Carmichael on the way home. I don't have an era specific view of music it's all relevant.

I'm surprised that anyone would be surprised that a younger drummer would be unfamiliar with Jim Keltner....
Perhaps you're right. I tend to look at everybody the same way I look at myself since I tend to believe that "If I could do it, so can you". I'm not being elitist when I say I knew who Jim Keltner was when I was 9. I guess I had a very different upbringing. My parents took me to listen to jazz, and fueled my interest by taking me to record shops to buy the occasional album. I was studying the masters so my experience must be way different. I was being trained to become the professional musician I became when I started in my teens. I don't want to be disrespectful to the younger generations but I guess other people didn't make music a priority or don't think they're path lies with making music, and drumming is a cool hobby.

I'm not being elitist when I say I knew who Jim Keltner was when I was 9.

Fair enough...

I guess I had a very different upbringing. My parents took me to listen to jazz, and fueled my interest by taking me to record shops to buy the occasional album. I was studying the masters so my experience must be way different. I was being trained to become the professional musician I became when I started in my teens. I don't want to be disrespectful to the younger generations but I guess other people didn't make music a priority or don't think they're path lies with making music, and drumming is a cool hobby.

...but what about now?

I'l confess, I had to look up Jim Keltner. What a body of work!

I agree with Bo Eder about how Internet anonymity makes people say things they'd never say in real life.

I mean here is an unknown saying he doesn't think this person unknown to him deserves a signature snare.

It's not the worst case scenario, some of these situations deteriorate into a verbatim "Mr X sucks" and whatnot.

It's just ignorance. If you mention the Blink 182 drummer getting a signature snare, the guy might have been all for it, while somebody else would say "Travis sucks".

In the end, I guess it's also Bo's age/respect for an artist he grew up listening to that's showing in the thread. Getting annoyed about something said on the Internet is a waste of time, but I totally agree with his reasons.

Perhaps you're right. I tend to look at everybody the same way I look at myself since I tend to believe that "If I could do it, so can you". I'm not being elitist when I say I knew who Jim Keltner was when I was 9. I guess I had a very different upbringing. My parents took me to listen to jazz, and fueled my interest by taking me to record shops to buy the occasional album. I was studying the masters so my experience must be way different. I was being trained to become the professional musician I became when I started in my teens. I don't want to be disrespectful to the younger generations but I guess other people didn't make music a priority or don't think they're path lies with making music, and drumming is a cool hobby.
When you were 9 it was Keltners hey day. Today he remains busy but not in the realm of current product kids will be into. To be similar you have had to be studying drummers from the 40’s and 50’s. I knew them but not many others did and the developed fine.

My favorite part of that Keltner snare is the use of the small lugs... if I could get a whole kit with those lugs I might be veeeery tempted.

You can get a whole kit w/ the mini lugs. You just have it ordered that way. It's not a "in-book" option, but they will do it if it's ordered that way.

All I remember is "back in the day" you oretty much had to read the liner notes, or Modern Drummer, to know names like Hal Blaine, Russ Kunkel, Jim Keltner, Jim Gordon, etc.

I mean I was 7 in 1970... I had no idea Mickey Dolenz wasn't *really* playing the drums on those Monkees tunes....lol.

By the time I was 14 it was Bonham, Ringo, Seraphine, Bruford, etc.
All guys connected to very successful and prime time bands.

I learned about Russ Kunkel by reading the cover of my MOM'S copy of Tapestry.

Sure, every drummer paying attention at the time, of working professionally knew these cats, but I didn't even get my first pair of new sticks until I was almost 15. And, sorry, but "mom and dad" weren't even around (dad had split and mom was either drinking or working) at that point, let alone taking me to jazz concerts....

So a little perspective is in order.

BUT-this does not excuse the punk attitude and disrespect to Jim Keltner even if you don't know his history.

Back