Practice on ekit and gig on acoustic kit.

harrisal21

I've been playing drums (acoustic) for around 15 years and just recently moved to an townhome so my practicing on a acoustic kit will diminish and now will only see it when I practice with the band one night a week and gig on the weekend. In between I need to practice to keep getting better. I was looking at getting an ekit to keep up with my chops and practice and was wondering who else does this and have they ran into any issues where once they got on the acoustic kit what they practice on the ekit was hard to translate to the acoustic?

I had to do this for about twelve years and I only got better, as one naturally would. No worries.

The only differences that I may have had to adjust to were the spacing between pieces (this was solved by playing an a-to-e converted acoustic kit rather than drum pads) and the second was hitting smaller rubber cymbals vs real cymbals. But as long as you are playing your real drums regularly you shouldn't develop any bad habits.

Last edited:
I started practicing on an e-kit 6-7 years ago. It always bothered me that the whole neighborhood could hear when I played my acoustic drums and I certainly felt restricted as to the time that I could play. I like being able to practice at any time of the day or night and the fact it doesn't irritate my neighbors or my wife. I agree with the comment that you should position the pads so that they resemble the spacing between your acoustic drums.

An acoustic kit fitted with mutes or mesh heads is getting pretty popular but I would get an e kit instead since you get actual sounds and they’re funner.

My acoustic kit with mesh heads was triggered with Roland sound module and RT30 triggers.

Back