Help choosing drum cases

Webodrums

Hello!
I'm in the market for some drum cases at this time I use bags from both Beato and Roadrunner,however;I'm looking for the increase protection plastic cases offer so after searching prices on line I've narrowed my options to either Gator Protechtor(D shaped) and Hardcases,which one do you guys think is more durable,reliable and easy to transport etc?
Thanks!

I have a full set of the protector cases and they do the job. They came with my kit when I bought it, and I've had my kit for 20 years. The only thing I added was added padding to the lid and the bottom of the case. The only complaint I have about them is their handles are their weak point, but again they are 20+ years old.

I have a full set of the protector cases and they do the job. They came with my kit when I bought it, and I've had my kit for 20 years. The only thing I added was added padding to the lid and the bottom of the case. The only complaint I have about them is their handles are their weak point, but again they are 20+ years old.
So are those ones you own the pre Gator model? 2000's

In hard cases, I bought H&B Enduro, and that was around 20 ago.
No issues whatsoever. SUPER tough, great clip, secure web straps, well made handles.

Buy once, cry once used to be a saying around here haha!

Are you talking about the brand name Hardcase? If so, the Protechtor cases will be thicker, but with that said, I've had a set of Hardcase-brand cases for over almost 25 years, and they've been great! I use my hardcases whenever I have to put my drums in the trailer with all of our other equipment. They are a good balance between weight and protection. Also, those straps and clips are easy to repair/replace if needs be.

Are you talking about the brand name Hardcase? If so, the Protechtor cases will be thicker, but with that said, I've had a set of Hardcase-brand cases for over almost 25 years, and they've been great! I use my hardcases whenever I have to put my drums in the trailer with all of our other equipment. They are a good balance between weight and protection. Also, those straps and clips are easy to repair/replace if needs be.
Yes I'm talking about the brand hardcase,if the protechtor are thicker maybe they are heavier also which is an issue to carry them out for a 50 year old guy like me :)

In hard cases, I bought H&B Enduro, and that was around 20 ago.
No issues whatsoever. SUPER tough, great clip, secure web straps, well made handles.

Buy once, cry once used to be a saying around here haha!
Do you know if H&B fit most brands suspension tom systems? I mean,does a 12" tom with rims fits fine in a 12" Enduro case?

Cause they are more expensive I don't know if it's worth to pay the extra money
Well, that's really you figuring how much your instrument is worth to you. If you're talking about saving hundreds on cases, then do get what you can afford. But if you're only talking about a $20-30 difference between case brands, I'd say make the investment for the future.

Well, that's really you figuring how much your instrument is worth to you. If you're talking about saving hundreds on cases, then do get what you can afford. But if you're only talking about a $20-30 difference between case brands, I'd say make the investment for the future.
You are right and fortunately I can afford by now any name brand that has been mentioned here,however;my concern is that more expensive not neccesarly means better and I want to buy the best option for the money,unfortunately where I live none of the above brands are available so I can not check them for my self I buy all my gear on line :(

Unless you're touring, there's really no need for hard cases when there are so many great fleece lined soft cases available. I use DrumSeeker cases by Humes and Berg, but Protection Racket and Ahead Armor cases are equally good. They tend to be easier to carry and store than hard cases, and these kinds of soft cases offer excellent protection. On more than one occasion, a tom has fallen off my cart as I was transporting my kit, and with my DrumSeeker cases, it sustained absolutely zero damage. And I'm talking a fall of at least 3-4 feet.

You probably already know this by now, but whenever you are buying hard cases, make sure they are roomy enough to allow for suspension mounts if your drums have them or if you use them. With a soft case, you can make it work; however hard-shell cases are much less forgiving. I know some of the newer cases take this into account, but many older cases do not. Just thought I'd mention it!

Do you know if H&B fit most brands suspension tom systems? I mean, does a 12" tom with rims fits fine in a 12" Enduro case?
Yes, tom w/RIMS and bracket fit in that sized drum/case. A 12 in a 12 case, 13 in a 13, etc... The mount will fit in the corner by the flat part.
I have the NO FOAM case tho, it may be different with any foam or padding.

You probably already know this by now, but whenever you are buying hard cases, make sure they are roomy enough to allow for suspension mounts if your drums have them or if you use them. With a soft case, you can make it work; however hard-shell cases are much less forgiving. I know some of the newer cases take this into account, but many older cases do not. Just thought I'd mention it!
Thanks a lot for the advice !

I second the recommendation of Humes and Berg Enduro cases. I first bought a set of them in 1996. These days I own eight drum sets, I have complete sets of cases for each of them as well as for most of my 30+ snare drums. I clearly believe in their products.

In this photo of my new Gretsch kit, note the stack of Enduro cases in the background with tags still on them.

Attachments

• 2019 Gretsch USA Custom drum set 02.jpg
    2019 Gretsch USA Custom drum set 02.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 13
Back