What's Dixon Drums Been Up To?

gdmoore28

Gold Member
The last time I had any contact with Dixon drums was at the last NAMM show I attended - early 2000s???? It's been quite a while. Anyway, I ran across a link to their web site and decided to see what they have on offer now, and I'm rather impressed. Seems they've gone to lengths to introduce a few North American Rock Maple shell packs, and a few hybrids, as well. They have an interesting universal tom-suspension mount that incorporates fixtures for attaching microphone mounts, music racks, Iphones, etc..

But what caught my attention was the sound and recording quality of their video showcasing their Artisan kit. I don't know how much studio magic was involved here, but the sound of those toms is amazing:

Curious if any of you play a newer model Dixon kit and what you think of them. I think they certainly need to work on their logo and drum badges - the current one is nondescript and rather meaningless. It's not ugly, it just doesn't say anything. Come on, boys!

GeeDeeEmm

I played a Dixon a few times when my band opened for some pals of our who headlined and their drummer played a Dixon. For one of those “no-name” companies that hasn’t gained much market share, I was awfully impressed. Very nice look and sound both from behind the kit and when I went out in the audience to watch after our set. I’d probably have to play a few different Dixon kits just to establish a reliable baseline, but from what I’ve experienced they aren’t bad at all. Seem to have improved their game in the last few years.

They certainly are eye-catching, but there's already so many established brands with better reputations.

When I think Dixon, I think low quality snares and hardware.

It will take some time to change people's perceptions of their brand, especially with how over-saturated the drum market already is.

Dixon was pushing so much stuff out on Facebook, I ended up "unliking" their page. The kits seem nice enough, but I usually don't have a kit really "speak" to me unless I hear it live, and living where I do, opportunities are very, very limited.

Gregg-Bissonette-5.jpg

They certainly are eye-catching, but there's already so many established brands with better reputations.

When I think Dixon, I think low quality snares and hardware.

It will take some time to change people's perceptions of their brand, especially with how over-saturated the drum market already is.
This. You've nailed it, exactly, BPH. If one had to pick a musical instrument with which to enter today's MI market, drums would have to be last on the list of products (right down there with guitars!). What kind of drum set and fixtures would you promote that would launch you onto the path to success in the drum market?

The market (new and used) is saturated. There's only one thing that I can think of that would promote a company like Dixon into a prominent place in people's minds: a promoter who would work his buns off building the quality that is essential to "new" products: customer loyalty. Zealous customer loyalty. And that loyalty is developed one customer at a time by making them feel special and appreciated. Those kinds of customers spread the work quickly in the internet world. (I'm thinking of the example provided by Arthur Stonez, who has developed just that kind of customer base with Centent Cymbals. And, no, I don't own any Centents.)

GeeDeeEmm

GeeDeeEmm

Greg was at the last clinic at my Ma and Pa store, and was playing an Artisan kit and pointed out their new logo.. Unmiked the drums sounded great up close and personal. The T-shirt and Shop sign were still the old logo.

Attachments

• Greg Bissonette.JPG
    Greg Bissonette.JPG
    59.3 KB · Views: 8
Back