What is "The Off Topic Lounge" for?

To be honest, i have no idea..

Sometimes i see threads that in my opinion are neither music related nor drumming related and they stay and sometimes threads that in my opinion actually are related to music disappear..

I havent seen your thread, but to me the thread title sounds as much drumming or music related as "food before the gig"..

But thats just my unimportant opinion..

In the end the mods decide and have access to the button..

And besides that, a thread is just a thread, not the end of the world if one disappears or gets closed sometimes..

Allthough, on second thought, threads and the freedom to start them are kinda what this whole place is about..lol..

Last edited:
Am I the only one that finds it hilarious that your thread was removed from the off topic lounge for being off topic?
No, You are not. :)

I also wonder... will THIS thread be deleted as well? Its not even in the Off topic section.

T.

Off-Topic is a vestige of the bygone era where humans felt the need to be decent to one another when corresponding in writing.

Lady liberty then raised her arms leaving her unwashed armpits exposed for all to bear and owner/mods/society decided it best to put an end to it before it destroyed the forum.

I seem to recollect a Motorcycle thread in past that was problematic-so it maybe a "preventive measure"?? I don't know plenty of threads get deleted being too far off topic on about every section. I wouldn't take it personal-have plenty of comments deleted. Yeah things can start harmless and turn into a snitfest in a minute. See the Off-topic "lounge" has had some "lounge lizards" that have been a problem in past-not suggesting you are so.

Last edited:
There was a thread in the Off-Topic Lounge awhile back were the OP posted a pic of his breakfast (granted it looked like a 3-Star Michelin meal), but, despite a few replies, was subsequently shut down. In fairness, it had no relation to drumming. On the other hand, the "food before gig", while ostensibly similar, actually relates to drumming as it discusses whether what and when what eats affects our drumming. I don't think the distinction is arbitrary.

The Drumming Motorcyclist thread, however, seemed to be only a thread about drummers who drive motorcycles, with no connection between the two. Had the thread discussed how driving a motorcycle (or a manual transmission) relates to drumming insofar as the coordination required to do one relates to the coordination to do the other, I could see it being an appropriate thread. Or if it were a thread about this:

So, yeah, if the thread relates to music somehow, have at it. If it doesn't, well, don't be surprised if a mod shuts it down.

This is not to say that all of the threads that have been shut down have been shut down for good or even consistent reasons. Sometimes it comes down to, as they say in the legal profession, what the judge (mod) may have had for breakfast.

Well, i just looked about a minute on the first 5-6 pages and i see threads about people re-introducing themselves, people who have been dreaming about other forum members, mothers day, Netflix, forum activity and i remember threads about people showing off their new car or their outdoor cooking device..

Takes a lot of imagination to find anything related to music or drumming with things like that..

But again, thats how internet forums are and discussions like this will always be a part of that..

I think it's a spot for anything NOT music related. A couple of other forums I visit have these. For example, I'm a part of the Acoustic Guitar Forum, and they have a board called "Open Mic." The average age over there is probably over 50, so there's an absolute wealth of knowledge and quite a bit of kindness over there too. People share stuff about their dogs, cool cars, photography, sports, technology, etc. I've not actively played acoustic guitar in years, but I like the people over there so much, I still contribute.

It's a mysterious place--sort of like Skull Island in Kong. You can enter but never leave. Well you can but you have to enter a storm either way.
If wise no one speaks.

It's the thing I disagree with most here. This is a forum for drums, technique, cymbals, related gear, and so on.
Anything outside that realm is 'off-topic', and that's the place where it should go.

Of course, religion and politics can get overly heated, and there's no place for personal attacks, but other than those things,
I think off-topic threads should be just left to die a natural death.

I think it's a spot for anything NOT music related. A couple of other forums I visit have these. For example, I'm a part of the Acoustic Guitar Forum, and they have a board called "Open Mic." The average age over there is probably over 50, so there's an absolute wealth of knowledge and quite a bit of kindness over there too. People share stuff about their dogs, cool cars, photography, sports, technology, etc. I've not actively played acoustic guitar in years, but I like the people over there so much, I still contribute.

Ya - I frequent a few forums like that too. People can post about pretty much anything off-topic.
Most people exercise good judgement, and in the rare cases when they don't, a thread might need to be shut down.
But it's a place where pretty much anything can be aired out or shared.

It's not my forum though, I just post here :censored:, and the admins are free to run it as they please.

Last edited:
As it is currently Listed

Using the Off Topic Lounge

The original purpose of the Off Topic forum was to discuss subjects that were musical in nature but not necessarily drum-related. We have allowed a bit of leeway with this definition, but we have discovered through trial and error what fits here and what doesn't. Please do not discuss extremely trivial matters. Do not post jokes or poetry. Do not discuss politics or religion. Do not post links to “hilarious” videos of stupid people doing stupid things. If you, in your best judgment, create a post or thread that is deleted from this or any other forum topic, understand that we have the final say regarding what is appropriate and what is not. Unfortunately more posts are deleted from this topic than all others combined, and more members are banned based on their actions in this sub-forum. For these reasons, please do not abuse this area of the forum, and save us all the hassle involved in settling disputes that could easily have been avoided in the first place.

Bernhard has allowed some leeway.

As it is currently Listed

Using the Off Topic Lounge

The original purpose of the Off Topic forum was to discuss subjects that were musical in nature but not necessarily drum-related. We have allowed a bit of leeway with this definition, but we have discovered through trial and error what fits here and what doesn't. Please do not discuss extremely trivial matters. Do not post jokes or poetry. Do not discuss politics or religion. Do not post links to “hilarious” videos of stupid people doing stupid things. If you, in your best judgment, create a post or thread that is deleted from this or any other forum topic, understand that we have the final say regarding what is appropriate and what is not. Unfortunately more posts are deleted from this topic than all others combined, and more members are banned based on their actions in this sub-forum. For these reasons, please do not abuse this area of the forum, and save us all the hassle involved in settling disputes that could easily have been avoided in the first place.

Bernhard has allowed some leeway.

So why was this thread originally deleted from the Off-Topic Lounge?

It's a mysterious place--sort of like Skull Island in Kong. You can enter but never leave. Well you can but you have to enter a storm either way.
If wise no one speaks.
No, that is the Hotel California

As listed in the Forum rules, The original purpose of the Off Topic forum was to discuss subjects that were musical in nature but not necessarily drum-related. Leeway was given, and then it got out of hand. The leeway was basically tightened and things were doing OK. Then there was concern about the motorcycle thread, and Bernhard was asked about the section, and the Leeway to post almost anything, albeit no religion or politics, was again granted. So we, the mods, now have to check to see what the actual thread may pertain to and make a decision. It will take it's own form, and will be monitored like all other sections, and descions will be made. Now let's get back to which color motorcycle sounds better and which exhaust system has the most resonance.

Back