Bought a Ludwig Acrolite Today

I scored this 1968 Acrolite last week on FB market place for $100. Came with original stand, case, Gladstone pad and key. Love it!!! now I just need an acoustic kit to go with it!!!! mine is a Roland TD-17!!!!View attachment 87029

That's a beauty! I have a '68 just like it and I think the older ones sound just a little different. Good score! (y)

I tuned up the snare very quickly and gave it a whirl last night. Sounds very boxy at the moment using 307 over 389 on the Tune-Bot. I think I'll detune the drum and start from scratch. Might switch to an Ambassador on the batter side since the Ludwig "Medium" head on there now could be part of the problem.

Ironically, I went to an open jam last night and the beaten-up POS snare on the backline kit sounded AMAZING. I think it was a Sonor and quite possibly one of the best sounding snares I've ever heard. If I can get the Acrolite to sound anything like that I'll be the happiest guy in the world.

If that drum is NOS, I'd install new heads. Give it a fair shot at being an awesome drum.

If that drum is NOS, I'd install new heads. Give it a fair shot at being an awesome drum.

For sure. It's all in the heads and tuning. I have no doubt that it will fast become my favourite snare.

Any recommendations for the number of snare wires? I think there's 20 on there now. I wonder if I should go up or down?

For sure. It's all in the heads and tuning. I have no doubt that it will fast become my favourite snare.

Any recommendations for the number of snare wires? I think there's 20 on there now. I wonder if I should go up or down?
My Tama SLP Aluminum (similar in design to yours) has a 20-strand "Super Sensitive Hi-Carbon Snappy Snare" and sounds great.

I have 20 wires on my 70s Acrolite and it sounds great. It originally came with 12.

I tuned up the snare very quickly and gave it a whirl last night. Sounds very boxy at the moment using 307 over 389 on the Tune-Bot. I think I'll detune the drum and start from scratch. Might switch to an Ambassador on the batter side since the Ludwig "Medium" head on there now could be part of the problem.

Ironically, I went to an open jam last night and the beaten-up POS snare on the backline kit sounded AMAZING. I think it was a Sonor and quite possibly one of the best sounding snares I've ever heard. If I can get the Acrolite to sound anything like that I'll be the happiest guy in the world.
I thought the Ludwig medium snare head was just a bit thicker than the Ambassador, maybe in between an Ambassador and an Emperor? I kept the Remo Ambassador on my Acro and found out since after some experimentation it does sound best with that thickness of a head. You don't want to dampen it out because it has an internal muffler and a small piece of gel can also quieten any remaining ring if that's a concern.

I thought the Ludwig medium snare head was just a bit thicker than the Ambassador, maybe in between an Ambassador and an Emperor? I kept the Remo Ambassador on my Acro and found out since after some experimentation it does sound best with that thickness of a head. You don't want to dampen it out because it has an internal muffler and a small piece of gel can also quieten any remaining ring if that's a concern.

I'm glad you brought up the muffler. Its effect is a bit different than using pre-dampened heads or gels so it will take some experimentation to find the sound I'm after. In addition to the Ambassador, I'm tempted to try a reverse dot head as I generally like the way they sound.

It's official. I LOVE THIS DRUM!!!

I replaced the batter with a Remo Controlled Sound head and installed a set of 42 strand wires. WOW - what a difference! Sensitive as all get-out but nearly no sympathetic snare buzz to deal with. And the rim shots - INCREDIBLE!!

I've got her tuned up pretty high, like a third octave G or G# and she sounds great up there. Should be no problem cutting through the mix. Can't wait to gig with this baby ?

Glad I had that Remo CS head lying around. No gels or muffler needed, either!

I replaced the batter with a Remo Controlled Sound head and installed a set of 42 strand wires. WOW - what a difference! Sensitive as all get-out but nearly no sympathetic snare buzz to deal with. And the rim shots - INCREDIBLE!!

I've got her tuned up pretty high, like a third octave G or G# and she sounds great up there. Should be no problem cutting through the mix. Can't wait to gig with this baby ?

Glad you like it!

I may have to try a Remo CS for my next head on the Acrolite.

42 strands really are what I love on my 6.5 hh bronze supra. Strings, none of those mother fuvking plastic straps. The straps totally choke the snares and don’t allow them to breathe. The strings have a slight elastic to them that allow the snares to rattle in the air oh so slightly longer. Especially when tightening way up if desired.

I love what the 42s have done for this drum and I have not optimized them yet, either. They have a wee muffling effect which controls overtones and the CS head does the rest. I'm getting the perfect pop/rock sound from the drum which is exactly what I need, without the use of gels or dampening rings. I am, however, using the plastic straps that came with the wires. I'll give strings a shot in the future but for now I'm supremely happy with the sound and feel of the drum.

I'm using run of the mill Gibraltar wires, if anybody is interested. I would not hesitate to use them again.

My acro was delivered with a 42 strand snare on it, and I really like it too. I really don’t like to muffle any drum, and I’ve always been able to solve any overbearing ring through tuning although it sometimes takes awhile...

Glad to hear you’re enjoying the new drum!

Back