LED stage lighting

It was the addition of the W, in RGBW, the white, that was lacking before. The RGB ones look atrocious. I can't believe how close the latest LED's look to incandescent. I can still tell, but color rendering is longer an issue. Now I'm a huge fan.

It was the addition of the W, in RGBW, the white, that was lacking before. The RGB ones look atrocious. I can't believe how close the latest LED's look to incandescent. I can still tell, but color rendering is longer an issue. Now I'm a huge fan.
Got it right Larry :) Just for clarification, in my photo examples below, only the distance stage shot & the last band shot feature the floods & spots on full power. In the other scenes, they're dialled back by about 70% to allow the effects lights to feature.

As a technologist, I can say with some confidence that LEDs are the new sunlight.
You're correct about the cheap LED lights. They're under powered, unfocused, and the poor color temperature results in an anemic look.
I got them Led canopy lighting manufacturer https://www.ledlightinglife.com/low-profile-led-canopy-light/
The expensive/quality LEDs are the real deal, and you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference between high quality LEDs versus an incandescent.
Other benefits: They last longer. They are harder to break. They're lighter. The draw less power. They generate less heat. They're easier to focus/direct. They're smaller / you can put more on a rig.

I agree with Larry - MOST of the videos, pictures and gigs I see either have a washed out pink/purple shade, or just the LED dark red, green and blue. Where are the bright orange, yellows and bright reds we used to see? what about warm white? And why are the stages so dark? It bothers me all the time.

RGBA (amber) lights can help, as can RGBW (white) but only if people can be bothered mixing appropriate colours instead of resorting to just the three ‘primary’ colours.

Here’s a colour combo I like - there are four RGBAW PARS across the front and sides, plus the basic effect lights at the back. Warm, bright, suits the tropical look of the band.8D0E1C79-B251-4320-B279-7D819757E08A.jpeg

I don't like lights in my eyes so I wear sunglasses and can't see what things look like anyway. I like the cool - less heat - of the LEDs that we have today. Never thought about the look of things under those lights.

Yeah, I was just trying to funny. :)
No worries - another pet hate of mine is TV's above the stage, so I wanted to explain.
I remember playing in a band in a sports bar and the crowd would watch us really closely and cheer from time to time. We soon realized there was a football match on the screen above us. They weren't watching us at all...

In my last band, the bass player watched the tv behind the band! I have a different band now, with their own LED lights. No one seems to want the light pointed at them, though.

No worries - another pet hate of mine is TV's above the stage, so I wanted to explain.
I remember playing in a band in a sports bar and the crowd would watch us really closely and cheer from time to time. We soon realized there was a football match on the screen above us. They weren't watching us at all...

Been there, done that w the t.v.s during NCAA March Madness. We limit our sports bar & pub gigs in March.

As a side note, we played a gig the same night as the Mayweather vs. Pacquiao fight. The club didn't pay for the fight, the sports bar next door did and they were turning people away at the door. The venue we were in had maybe 30 people come in the whole night. We still got paid though.

Back