Is it dumb of me to buy Constantinople?

dirtyclinic

Being a fan of accumulating gear, I am thinking of getting some K Zildjian Constantinople cymbals. I am not an expert drummer and I am more of a guitar player. I was thinking of buying a new guitar but then I thought that maybe I should throw down for the Cadillac (in my mind) of cymbals. I play Indie Rock and other forms of rock and I don't even know if the cymbals are really meant for that type of music. I just really like getting new gear and it sounds exciting to get some new cymbals.

Have you heard the cymbal? Does it fit nicely within what you want to play? I don't always have the chance to demo products first, but if you're buying top notch products--I would want to check it out first. That's all I have! (y)

Have you heard the cymbal? Does it fit nicely within what you want to play? I don't always have the chance to demo products first, but if you're buying top notch products--I would want to check it out first. That's all I have! (y)

I completely agree with this. The ears should make the decision along with the wallet.

Being a fan of accumulating gear, I am thinking of getting some K Zildjian Constantinople cymbals. I am not an expert drummer and I am more of a guitar player. I was thinking of buying a new guitar but then I thought that maybe I should throw down for the Cadillac (in my mind) of cymbals. I play Indie Rock and other forms of rock and I don't even know if the cymbals are really meant for that type of music. I just really like getting new gear and it sounds exciting to get some new cymbals.

I'm glad I don't have this issue. My wife would probably kill me if I just had gear for the sake of having it.

Cymbals definitely should be heard first. Do yourself a favor and go hit some before you buy. You may love them, you may hate them. You may find something else in the process you like better.

Sounds like you've got GAS. Gear Acquisition Syndrome. Just buying something to buy it may not be your best investment in the long run. I'm doing something similar, however, buying nice cymbals even though I'm a beginner drummer. Still, I play them first. That's a must. Best of luck with your search.

If you’re worried about the cost, look around to see what they run on the used market. Whatever the cost difference between new and used is basically what you’re paying Zildjian to produce them.

As for their sound, they’re great sounding cymbal. And if your band or tastes change, they don’t have to be the last ones you ever buy.

Pete

To my eyes\ears...you may as well have written "I'm thinking of buying a Porsche. I was going to buy a new Ford, but what the hell..."

lol.

I have dreams of being able to move from "thinking" to "buying" gear like that. It's taken me 30+ years just to accumulate 5 Zildjian Ks!

So, hey, why not? What's the worse that can happen-you don't like them and they go up for sale as "used" cymbals?

To my eyes\ears...you may as well have written "I'm thinking of buying a Porsche. I was going to buy a new Ford, but what the hell..."

lol.

I have dreams of being able to move from "thinking" to "buying" gear like that. It's taken me 30+ years just to accumulate 5 Zildjian Ks!

So, hey, why not? What's the worse that can happen-you don't like them and they go up for sale as "used" cymbals?

I was looking a them used and they hold their value pretty well. If I buy some used and then decide to sell them, I can probably get back most of my money.

If getting them isn't going to be a financial burden, I say go for it.

A lot of people say you only live once.

Yes dumb, get some Paistes. But really....choose the sound you like, there are no rules. Also, there is no "Cadillac" of cymbals (unless you mean trashy then yes, they do sound a bit trashy). The excitement of the new gear will wear off quickly so get it right the first time and take some time to choose wisely because right now it sounds like you are struggling to find the sound you want.

If you don't plan on playing live, or recording with them, Constantinoples might be a bit too much $$$. I play a little guitar, just enough to write, but I'm not good enough to play more than 4-5 songs live, and I'd Never play in the studio. If however I wanted a Les Paul Custom, hell, if I could afford it, and it felt, and sounded perfect for me, why not?
Hit some of the worlds premium cymbals, for example Sabian AAX, HHX, (I use both on my kit), or Zildjian A Customs, or K's. Find the cymbal that sounds right for YOU! Ignore the name brand, and model. Buy what sounds good. There's nothing like a shitty set of cymbals to make drums less inviting.
I don't use the Constanti... because, well, I prefer Zyldjian K's, and Sabian HHXs personally. It's subjective. You really don't need the most expensive cymbals, you need cymbals that sound good.

Well if you want the "Cadillac" of cymbals then that's Spizzichino! But the K Cons are all great cymbals for any genre of music. I bought mine listening to Zildjian sound files looking for the sound I wanted-first time ever buying.a cymbal without playing it in person-and I wasn't disappointed (thankfully I was really worried it was a bad idea). I don't recommend buying cymbals sight unseen generally. Sound files on line are a great start. I'd get what I want. But if you don't cough up the big bucks for a Spizzichino need I say I hear clucking. Bwaaaawk! LOL:D

Last edited:

If you find yourself drawn to the sound of K Constantinople's, you may also want to consider getting a cymbal from one of the Turkish manufacturers (Istanbul Agop, Bosphorus, Soultone, Heartbeat, etc.) I have a 20-inch Istanbul Agop "Traditional Original" ride that sounds absolutely amazing. K Con's do sound good, but to my ear, they're not *quite* as good as the Turkish cymbals. In my opinion, if you want that deep, dark, warm sound, you gotta go straight to the source. The Turks have been making cymbals for hundreds of years, and they've got it down to an art.

I know where you can hear a whole set of Zildjian Constantinople cymbals being played.

Sizes from left to right: 18" K Constantinople Crash on top of an 18" A Rock Crash for hats, 22" K Constantinople Med Thin Low/or High Ride, 24" K Light Ride and a 22" K Constantinople Med Thin Low Ride with 4 rivets.

I ended up getting the whole set myself because I'm a big J.J. Johnson fan, and I fell in love with these cymbals because of his playing.

Getting the gear you want is never dumb, regardless of price, regardless of what others might think about how it sounds. What's important is how YOU feel about it.

I tend to "make do" with basic pro-level gear and I don't go too expensive, and I don't really buy boutique. My son on the the other hand loves the boutique stuff he's got because he's typically looking for something pretty specific. (he's a guitar player) I take the gear I have and wrangle it to get the sounds I want, and his stuff is set up like he wants from the beginning - he doesn't have to wrangle anything. Although I don't spend as much money, he's probably got the right idea.

Getting the gear you want is never dumb, regardless of price, regardless of what others might think about how it sounds. What's important is how YOU feel about it.

I tend to "make do" with basic pro-level gear and I don't go too expensive, and I don't really buy boutique. My son on the the other hand loves the boutique stuff he's got because he's typically looking for something pretty specific. (he's a guitar player) I take the gear I have and wrangle it to get the sounds I want, and his stuff is set up like he wants from the beginning - he doesn't have to wrangle anything. Although I don't spend as much money, he's probably got the right idea.
Some great thoughts in your post trickg....

I always bought in desperation or settled because of limited funds. Wound up with a pile of "make do" stuff.

Then I grew up and began actually thinking abiut and listening to the gear I *thought* I wanted or needed before putting out the cash.

It makes a difference. If you know which way you want to go....

Then get on the right path.

K Cons are among the most expensive cymbals that Zildjian make, but it doesn't mean they are the 'best' for everyone.
Everyone's ears are different. Whatever sounds good to YOU is the best!
The K Cons create a certain type of sound. Great cymbals (and I own one), but not to everyone's taste.
If you can, take some time to play some in person, to check that it's what you want.
A couple of links/threads that might help you to get an idea of what you like:
https://www.drummerworld.com/forums/index.php?threads/sweetwater-ride-cymbal-shootout.166675/

K Cons are among the most expensive cymbals that Zildjian make, but it doesn't mean they are the 'best' for everyone.
Everyone's ears are different. Whatever sounds good to YOU is the best!
The K Cons create a certain type of sound. Great cymbals (and I own one), but not to everyone's taste.
If you can, take some time to play some in person, to check that it's what you want.
A couple of links/threads that might help you to get an idea of what you like:
https://www.drummerworld.com/forums/index.php?threads/sweetwater-ride-cymbal-shootout.166675/
While I appreciate Zildjian's efforts, I find that video to be almost worthless to me. If you don't play that particular "style" (bash and crash?) it gives no indication of how those cymbals will perform.

No ride pattern, no intricate hi hat pattern, no swells....

They should have a second video offering a more "jazz" or "groove" oriented player.....

But yes, there are some great video resources available.

I'm a K Constantinople fan.

Look here at mycymbal.com.

Select your size and style on the left and you can listen (with headphones) to a soundfile of the exact cymbal they will sell to you if you want it. You can compare same sized and series cymbals to pick out your favorite, as cymbals vary and there are usually multiple choices. I can almost instantly tell if I like a cymbal doing it this way. If I like it, then I compare it to others I like and whittle them down to my favorite while sitting at home.

If you like it and if that sound would work for your music, then yea, keep them guys employed!

I know where you can hear a whole set of Zildjian Constantinople cymbals being played.

Sizes from left to right: 18" K Constantinople Crash on top of an 18" A Rock Crash for hats, 22" K Constantinople Med Thin Low/or High Ride, 24" K Light Ride and a 22" K Constantinople Med Thin Low Ride with 4 rivets.

I ended up getting the whole set myself because I'm a big J.J. Johnson fan, and I fell in love with these cymbals because of his playing.

Great post. Superb example of what K Cons can sound like in a non-jazz setting! The larger models work wonderfully, in this particular musical context. They're low-pitched, with a bit of dirt, and a nice long decay. They sink deeply down into the sound of the band, rather than sticking out on top, as brighter, smaller cymbals would.

OTOH, if you want a bright "ping" from your ride cymbal, a K Con is not the way to go. They are, overall, too dark and thin. And 18" hi-hat are low, but also loud, because it's a lot more material than, say a pair of 14" hats. So maybe scale back to 15", or a pair of 16" Crashes, if you really love than sound, but want a more controlled, versatile pair of hats.

If you do buy K Cons, go with a seller who has a good return policy. Set up the cymbal while wearing work gloves, and test the cymbal with mallets, before going at it with a stick. Don't leave a single mark! You'll know if you get a bad one. I received an 18" K Con crash that was clangy and awful, but it's replacement is a beauty. My favorite rides are the Medium Thin Low and Renaissance models. I'm not particularly fond of the 14" hi-hats (too thick and bright).

Back