Best heads for Tama Birch toms for 'deepest' tone.

Drumquest2

the toms are 10x8, 12x9, 14x11, 16x14 (birch StarClassic). G2 clears? for pop/rock sound.
Are G2s the best choice for pop/rock?

My birch superstar toms can alive with Emperors, so you're on the right track. But I just find that Remo's have a bit more "girth" to their sound than the equivalent Evans, which suits birch well IMHO.

Worth trying them coated too.

My Premier birch drums love clear G2's. They also like pinstripes, but the G2's have just a bit more punch/clarity, while still having a deep tone.

When I had my Recording Customs I was working in a music store. I was able to buy heads at dealer cost, so I tried a bunch of different heads on them. In the end, I ended up refitting them with the heads that Yamaha delivered them with - Remo Clear Pinstripes. Absolutely nothing came close to making those birch shells sing with such authority.

GeeDeeEmm

Pinstripes! They take all the high frequencies out of the tone and enhance the warmth and oomph. Hydraulic heads would also work, but make the drums sound kinda dead and thuddy.

EDIT: Haha, exactly what @gdmoore28 said. I didn't see his post before I posted.

When I played a Birch Tama, I really liked coated G2.

I used G2 clears over G1 clears on a Pearl Masters Studio. Tried out a lot of combos, that was the best for my music at the time. I think the diecast hoops help in cutting the overtones, pinstripes were too dead to me.

I used G2 clears over G1 clears on a Pearl Masters Studio. Tried out a lot of combos, that was the best for my music at the time. I think the diecast hoops help in cutting the overtones, pinstripes were too dead to me.
My Tama Starclassic Birch Performers came with that head combo....

And I agree, the Pinstripes with diecast rims do sound too dead...

Reactions: Ang
I've got Birch performers with coated g2s on top and Clear G ones underneath. I don't know if that's the best combo but I like it. I had Yamaha Birch custom absolute and I really liked clear super two aquarians. Might try those on my performers sometime

When I had my Recording Customs I was working in a music store. I was able to buy heads at dealer cost, so I tried a bunch of different heads on them. In the end, I ended up refitting them with the heads that Yamaha delivered them with - Remo Clear Pinstripes. Absolutely nothing came close to making those birch shells sing with such authority.

GeeDeeEmm

Mine too. Tried all sorts but always came back to Pinstripes. My Pearl BLX & MLX were the same as well

Drums sound way different out in front, even just a few yards away. Evans clear G2's are what I always use on toms. Peace and goodwill.

When I had my Starclassic birch kit, I had a set of Aquarian Performance II heads which had a nice deep tone. I was always an Evans guy, but I liked those Aquarians on that kit.

Back