Advice on which studio kit to buy - please help me spend my money.

Well, to be fair, I make a lot of money. I'm just putting a price tag on it because the last time I bought two pro-level guitars and an amp on one pay period, the lady kinda freaked out. I could also save my pennies, but I'm not that great of a drummer, so I see no real benefit in going over 2k. If I were a great drummer, or drums were my main beau, I could see benefit.

Hello all! My first post, and I already want something. I'm looking to buy a new or used home/studio kit. I'm a singer-songwriter, but I've been playing drums for about 30 years, so I at least have the fundamentals of rhythm down :D by now. Here's the deal;
-I play folk rock, blues and traditionals. Used to play rock, but my drummer got too many DUIs, and I can't do guitar and drums at the same time. Not that talented.
-I won't be taking this to gigs. This is strictly for home and studio use.
-I have a nice house, so I want it to look nice.
-This'll be for recording and songwriting.
-My budget is flexible? My bread job is being a developer, so I have some money to buy nice things. How about up to around $1500, that's Mapex Saturn V money. I know, more money means moar drums, but I'll still have to get cymbals and stuff after the kit.
-Good with new or used, as long as used is in good condition.

And thank you all very much for your time, both in reading and replying.

I think you might be going about this the wrong way - or using the wrong criteria. I'd say first decide on sizes, even if only generally - like do you want big drums: 24/13/16, or a smaller set with an 18 or 20" bass drum. Some are available even smaller with 16 or 14" bass drums.

Then decide on how many drums you want - a small, 4 pc. jazz type set, or a monster with double bass drums and lots of toms (yes, you can find those used with your stated budget).

Also important is the type of wood used, and the construction method. Most well known name brands are made from plies.
Birch is often suggested for recording, but I think that's mostly due to Yamaha's Recording Custom marketing blitz.
Most any wood type can sound good recorded if due consideration is given to other factors.

Finish is what you'd probably notice first - flashy, like sparkles, or subdued, like flat/matte.
Hardware is also important for not only looks, but for function and durability.

I would think that after you've got all those questions answered, then suggestions could be given that match those requirements.
Otherwise it's mostly just people saying what they like or use.

Last edited:
Well hell, I can put those answers down. Broad generalization - I like jazz size sets with rock size kicks, and I tend to go for a maple or hammered brass snare, so a warmer snare. 22-24" kick (26 sounds super legit, but I can never tame it enough in the studio), 2 toms and snare. I had a Ludwig set with 4 toms and 3 rototoms and I found that I just... don't use them all that much. Dunno.

Finish? I would have sworn that I'm an understated kind of guy, but then I rescued this silver sparkle Gretsch guitar and now I'm all into flashy things. Odd, but personal taste is like that.

I have two room options for recording; one is semi-treated, oak floors with rugs, furniture and acoustic diffusers, and the other one is the piano room and is very very much small cathedral shaped. I record the piano about 12' away and it sounds luverly.

But, you've made me think about a few things. I'll probably get my snare separate, because picky. But I appreciate it! I think one of the best things I can do is go play, try and narrow down some tastes.

Well hell, I can put those answers down. Broad generalization - I like jazz size sets with rock size kicks, and I tend to go for a maple or hammered brass snare, so a warmer snare. 22-24" kick (26 sounds super legit, but I can never tame it enough in the studio), 2 toms and snare. I had a Ludwig set with 4 toms and 3 rototoms and I found that I just... don't use them all that much. Dunno.

Finish? I would have sworn that I'm an understated kind of guy, but then I rescued this silver sparkle Gretsch guitar and now I'm all into flashy things. Odd, but personal taste is like that.

I have two room options for recording; one is semi-treated, oak floors with rugs, furniture and acoustic diffusers, and the other one is the piano room and is very very much small cathedral shaped. I record the piano about 12' away and it sounds luverly.

But, you've made me think about a few things. I'll probably get my snare separate, because picky. But I appreciate it! I think one of the best things I can do is go play, try and narrow down some tastes.

Sounds like you'd probably like a 12/16/22 or 13/16/24 kit. Here are some Renowns in the latter sizes. You can also get the former in Renowns, but that would also come with a 10" tom.

@TK-421 and @wildbill - those renown kits look awesome, have room for customization, and have a lot of recommendations here. Definitely have to play and feel them. I know for a fact that the lady likes the silver oyster wrap, because she was digging a Gretsch proline guitar that had the same wrap. Also not too expensive, which leaves room for a good snare and some good cymbals.

I already have a K Con hi-hat in my storage so I'll probs be sticking with zildjan K for the rest of em. Awesome, dig the feedback.

Another vote for Renowns. But if the above is true, I think the best approach is to compile all of the top suggestions here and let her pick. Including the finish. Problem solved!

That's just brilliant man.

One thing I didn't see mentioned is shell thickness. For recording, the thinner (being more resonant) the better is the conventional thinking. Thin meaning somewhere around 5mm, 6 tops.

This is the first I've heard about this. I listened to a few demos on Youtube and they do indeed sound very good! Are all the PDP kits made in Encenada like this? (High quality and made of American hard rock maple). Or are there Encenada kits that do not fall under this category? I just want to know exactly what to keep an eye out for.
Somebody may be able to correct me on this, but thus far I haven't found any Encenada kits that were made of anything other than American Hard Rock Maple. I'm almost (anybody?) certain that all of the non-maple kits were made in Asia.

Not that this makes any difference concerning the Encenada kits that have garnered such a loyal gathering - the CX/LX/LXE maple kits. Keep in mind that there were other variations on these kits, specifically the "Rock" kits, which have "R" suffixes and offered 24" bass drums, standard 16" floor toms, etc. The most common configuration I've seen in these kits are 24/13/14f/16f, along with some very cool colors.

Here's a Wiki page that gives a very good summary of these early kits:

GeeDeeEmm

Somebody may be able to correct me on this, but thus far I haven't found any Encenada kits that were made of anything other than American Hard Rock Maple. I'm almost (anybody?) certain that all of the non-maple kits were made in Asia.

Not that this makes any difference concerning the Encenada kits that have garnered such a loyal gathering - the CX/LX/LXE maple kits. Keep in mind that there were other variations on these kits, specifically the "Rock" kits, which have "R" suffixes and offered 24" bass drums, standard 16" floor toms, etc. The most common configuration I've seen in these kits are 24/13/14f/16f, along with some very cool colors.

Here's a Wiki page that gives a very good summary of these early kits:

GeeDeeEmm

This is on Craiglist right now in my area. Is this a sleeper kit?

"DW Pacific 4pc maple shell pack with pearl snare. $100"
"22, 16, 12, 12"

Sorry for the derail OP, lol.
8UMyAQH.jpg

UPDATE: It appears this kit is made in Taiwan. Bummer.

u47uG5F.png

Last edited:
From your style of music that I heard, I would say go for a wet, clean drum sound, like the Recording Customs. The heavy lugs make for a shorter sustain. The damped resonance makes the low tones get out of the way and it makes for easier mixing and a cleaner sound.

This is on Craiglist right now in my area. Is this a sleeper kit?

"DW Pacific 4pc maple shell pack with pearl snare. $100"
"22, 16, 12, 12"

Sorry for the derail OP, lol.
8UMyAQH.jpg

UPDATE: It appears this kit is made in Taiwan. Bummer.

u47uG5F.png
You answered your own question. Good detective work - in the case of Pacific Drums, always check the label.

GeeDeeEmm

Tama. Great sounding shells. Best tom suspension design on the market (and most imitated). Best hardware in terms of function, design & durability.

It wasn't fad that brought Erskine into their stable, and it definitely wasn't favors or loot that convinced Cobham to return to them (he's the guy who, arguably, brought them to the forefront in the 1970s and helped coin "The Strongest Name in Drums").

If you buy an all-maple Starclassic, you'll never look back.

Tama STAR Bubinga Sunny Yellow.jpgTama STAR Walnut Green.jpgTama Starclassic Maple Gold Glitter.jpg

@WallyY - thanks!
@IBitePrettyHard no worries.

Update; over the weekend, went and played some drums and some other stuff. Saw a Q Drum Co brass snare that was sexy and, but I played a '73 Ludwig snare that had this fat, harmonic sound that was beautiful. Also played a Recording Custom kit and a Gretsch Renown kit, both w/ 24" kicks. Still cogitating; I felt that the recording custom was very focused, and the renown was more open? Maybe just my ears, but that's how they felt. Both super nice, both very responsive.

I felt that the recording custom was very focused, and the renown was more open? Maybe just my ears, but that's how they felt. Both super nice, both very responsive.
In my experience, the room & space changes everything. A small, tight room with acoustic treatment sounds drastically different than a large room with very high ceilings and acoustic treatment. And drum shops are lousy, too. Strike a snare and listen to all the other heads vibrate sympathetically. ?

That ain't no lie. And since the reflections of the lower frequencies take more physical space to develop, plus no diffusion in untreated music shops, that makes for a very uneven comparison, all around.

Back