Let's see your Gretsch kits (saved the best for last!)

You’re killing me with this kit 8Mile. You have inspired me to save for a TW Yellow Gretsch as well!
Thanks, man!

I started thinking about this set in the late-90s and I waited way too long. I think people assumed I was just talking and it was never going to really hapen. I was even accidentally shamed by Facebook about it. You know how Facebook shows you memories of things you posted on that day in years past? Well I had one pop up where I was saying I think I'm finally ready to pull the trigger on a set of Gretsch drums I've been dreaming of for years. And it was from 2011! I had to laugh at myself. That, and a few other things going on in my life, pushed me to finally just do it. What am I gonna wait for, until I'm too old to play them? I'm glad I did it.

I think it works now. The first one is one I really want to pull the trigger on but need to save. It’s a USA Custom with stop sign badges and short sizes...all though I can’t identify any exact details. I’ve wanted a short stack for a while but it has to be Gretsch! The second picture is my current kit, just a Catalina jazz with a ton of z’s lol

I think it works now. The first one is one I really want to pull the trigger on but need to save. It’s a USA Custom with stop sign badges and short sizes...all though I can’t identify any exact details. I’ve wanted a short stack for a while but it has to be Gretsch! The second picture is my current kit, just a Catalina jazz with a ton of z’s lol
Nice! I thought about a purple gloss also, but the purple finish they have now is much less... purple. It's almost the same color as walnut, at least in pictures I've seen.

Your set looks great! I heard a clip of a set of Catalinas on the Facebook page of a drummer named Ryan Shaw. He did a short unboxing video and then plays them. They sound just amazing.

Nice! I thought about a purple gloss also, but the purple finish they have now is much less... purple. It's almost the same color as walnut, at least in pictures I've seen.

Your set looks great! I heard a clip of a set of Catalinas on the Facebook page of a drummer named Ryan Shaw. He did a short unboxing video and then plays them. They sound just amazing.
Thanks!! Yah the finish is called “trans purple” which is more of a swirl I guess, honestly I don’t care for it too much but this kit seems to only come in that color. The Catalina does sound great but the only way to make the BD sound good is by tuning it so low and dry like how Mark Guiliana tunes his. The snare is kind of weak but I usually play Ludwig snares as I recently inherited a 70’s Supra. The only problem with the short stack kit is if I buy it I will want to buy one more floor Tom to make it like tony, but it’s so hard to find that finish☹️

So this is my little Gresch Catalina Jazz, nothing special, but I really enjoy playing it.

I usually play Renaissance Amba heads on the toms, still looking sort of weird to me, but sounds great!

I had my own thread about these drums, but this thread gives me an excuse to post another pic. Not sure why I can't insert the image into this post, but it won't let me, so you'll have to click the link.

USA Custom
Solid Yellow Gloss
18 x 14
14 x 14
12 x 8
14 x 5.5

Larry I literally went through this whole thread looking at all the pics (that are still there) of all the kits.

Yours knocks me out the most, by a large margin. The reason I like it so much is because there's less pieces in the smaller sizes, and there's no black dots. Yours really punch in a good way. When I think TW yellow, I think of his clinic image with that giant kit and the black dot heads, even on the resos.

This kit takes on YOUR vibe, not Tony's. It's an homage instead of a total copy. Well done man.

It's the first TWY kit I've ever seen besides his.

Bold, winning choice.

So is it harder waiting for them, or having them and not being able to play it when you want?

Are they set up in your house? Are you gonna name them?

Last edited:
Larry I literally went through this whole thread looking at all the pics (that are still there) of all the kits.

Yours knocks me out the most, by a large margin. The reason I like it so much is because there's less pieces in the smaller sizes, and there's no black dots. Yours really punch in a good way. When I think TW yellow, I think of his clinic image with that giant kit and the black dot heads, even on the resos.

This kit takes on YOUR vibe, not Tony's. It's an homage instead of a total copy. Well done man.

It's the first TWY kit I've ever seen besides his.

Bold, winning choice.

So is it harder waiting for them, or having them and not being able to play it when you want?

Are they set up in your house? Are you gonna name them?
Thanks, Larry. I'm glad it comes across as homage rather than copy, because that's exactly what I was going for. The music I'll be playing with these drums will be more in the vein of the drums Tony played earlier in his career. People associate this color with that big monster set, but the music he made that really spoke to me was played on drums in these sizes.

As far as playing them, yeah, I have them set up in my apartment. And I'm taking some liberties playing them for a few minutes each day. I put new heads on yesterday, so I spent some time trying not to be TOO loud while still making sure they were tuned up right. They tune so ridiculously-easily. I haven't been evicted yet, but stay tuned.

I have musician friends who have no problem with me bringing the drums over and cutting loose on them, so it's not that difficult. But yeah, I'd like unlimited hours daily on them. No plans to give them a name, but sometimes those things kind of happen organically, so you never know. For now, I just love looking at them all day, even when I can't play them.

Feeling incredibly lucky to have not only the 135th bop kit , but also the 135th rock kit , both in Emerald Green.
Here is the bop kit with the snare from the rock kit.
These don’t sound like normal broadkasters..more resonant/ open .....maybe it’s the single flange hoops? You wouldn’t think the single outer ply of mahogany would make much difference...anyway, very happy with these.

Last edited:
So, back in June I came across a gem in a mom and pop music shop, almost looked more like a pawn shop.

A Gretsch Renown '57 in Music City Black! Only thing not with it was the throne (if anyone has one or knows of someone wanting to sell one, please let me know). The shop had it because the original owner was fighting cancer, and sadly he wasn't going to make it much longer. His children sold off all of his gear, with his permission. Wherever you are out there, know that a good person has your pride and joy.IMG_1875.jpeg

Hello guys,
I'm new on this forum. Here my contribution, with my Gretsch kits (2). One Renown Maple in Natural Gloss (with Square Badge a rare one) : BD 14x18, High Tom 8X10, Medium Tom 8X12, Floor Tom 14X14.
And... My Vinnie Colaiuta signature kit : BD 18x22, High Tom 7X10, Medium Tom 8X12, 1st Floor Tom 14X14, 2nd Floor Tom 16X16, SD 5X14.
Christian

Attachments

• 20190928_190523.jpg
    20190928_190523.jpg
    668.8 KB · Views: 28
  • 20190928_190629.jpg
    20190928_190629.jpg
    763.9 KB · Views: 29
  • 20190504_111509.jpg
    20190504_111509.jpg
    814.5 KB · Views: 26
  • 20190504_111613.jpg
    20190504_111613.jpg
    706.8 KB · Views: 25
  • 20190504_111606.jpg
    20190504_111606.jpg
    810.3 KB · Views: 23
This is my old Renown '57 - really cool kit but I got tired of that finish fast haha.

Sold it to a wonderful collector that has it on display.

Easily one of the best sounding kits I've ever owned and it's the reason I've had this nagging desire for a Gretsch kit for the past few years again.

Attachments

• IMG_2014.jpg
    IMG_2014.jpg
    391.8 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_2015.jpg
    IMG_2015.jpg
    1,014.7 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_2016.jpg
    IMG_2016.jpg
    382.7 KB · Views: 31
Hello guys,
I'm new on this forum. Here my contribution, with my Gretsch kits (2). One Renown Maple in Natural Gloss (with Square Badge a rare one) : BD 14x18, High Tom 8X10, Medium Tom 8X12, Floor Tom 14X14.
And... My Vinnie Colaiuta signature kit : BD 18x22, High Tom 7X10, Medium Tom 8X12, 1st Floor Tom 14X14, 2nd Floor Tom 16X16, SD 5X14.
Christian

I think that the VC Signature kit would look amazing with black RIMMS instead of the chrome ones!

Sorry not a big computer guy,dont know how to post a pictures of my gretsch kits.

I have a 30 yr old 5 pc USA maple kit,in gloss walnut . 14x6.5 snare, 9x13&10x14 rack toms,16x16 fl tom,14x22 BD . and a 4 pc Catalina club kit in copper sparkle 14x5 sn,8x12 rack,14x14 fl tom,14x18 bd Love both my kits. Although gretsch drums may not be the greatest sounding drums know to man,they have a certain recipie sound that makes them different ! and i think the drummers who play gretsch are most likely old school drummers at heart,who also are inspired by the history of gretsch in this coutry,like me. thanks for listening !

Back