Utility Cart???

dboomer

Gonna get me a new multi-cart. I’ve always used rocknroller in the past but I'm wondering if there is anything newer out in the marketplace that works better? I’m more concerned about weight, foldability and easy of use than price.

Anybody?

I'm pretty sure the Rock n Roller is the top choice for drummer utility carts.

What issues are you having?

My solution as a compromise between capacity and price has been those canvas folding camp wagons like this. Takes me two or three trips but they fold nicely, stow easily and are very light. Not much good on stairs though.

I guess it depends.

Are you going 4-piece and two rides or Bozzio-size?

What isn't working out for you?

[QUOTE="Odd-Arne Oseberg, post: 1644491, member: 39981"What isn't working out for you?
[/QUOTE]

Not so much that it isn’t working ... just looking to improve.

I’m currently using an R2T that I modded to be a few inches longer. What would make it better would be in the handles were taller so I don’t have to bend over to pull it. It is also clumsy that you have to push the wire down to fold the handles. There is a new On-Stage cart that has a bar that is easily pushed with your foot so you don’t have to bend down and push with your hand. It would be a plus if the handles, when folded down, fit inside the frame instead of flopping around on top.

Lighter weight would be a plus as would something that folded up smaller but popped back up.

I’m wondering if there is something out there more like a Magliner. I have Magliner hand trucks which are expensive but built to a much higher standard than Rocknrollers are.

I've searched the internet as best I could so I guess my question is does anyone know of anything new that I may have missed. I don’t have a problem with rocknrollers but I’m wondering if there is anything better.

If price isn’t a primary concern, Krane’s AMG 500 or 750 carts may be an option:

Why not try the bigger Rock n Rollercarts? You'll have to compromise on something. I've used my R10 for over 20 years now (the old style grey with red handles) with no problems and it handles great.

If price isn’t a primary concern, Krane’s AMG 500 or 750 carts may be an option:

Have you tried them, they look cool although a little expensive!?

Have you tried them, they look cool although a little expensive!?
A buddy who’s big on single-trip load-ins & load-outs bought the 750 last year and it is an impressive cart. Very good build quality and very versatile, just more than I currently need. One of Krane’s videos shows a photographer using it to unload and transport his gear that it is fairly representative of how flexible it seemed to me.

He did say they occasionally run 25% off specials in their email newsletters, but even at $284, I agree with you, it’s expensive.

That Krane 750 looks pretty nice. But it weighs 48lbs (too heavy) and doesn’t fold up small enough. I think I’m looking for something more like the RnR r8rt but would like something with a little better build quality. After hours of google searches I’m finding there probably isn’t anything better. But I’m only asking as Ikd hate to pull the trigger for a RocknRoller and then find out there was something better.

Yeah that weight can be lightened a bit by removing the carpeted decks, but it’s 6-wheeled and 750lb load-rated so it’s not an apples-to-apples comparison with the R8RT.

The AMG 500 is more comparable as far as load rating and weight, but its load area is on a 45 deg incline (like a hand truck) instead of horizontal so it’s not as efficient for hauling a kit as the R8RT.

I'd love to see how some of you stack. Got any pictures?

Don't own a cart but it would be nice after years of gigs with multiple hauling trips carrying. At times when I've been able to borrow a cart, stacking round drums, cymbal bag & a monitor is always tricky with stuff nearly falling off on corners or road bumps. Can't stand that! My stands aren't a problem because they're all in a SKB case with wheels.

I like the idea of that AMG 500 with bass drum on bottom followed by floor tom, snare, racks, etc. That looks like they'd stay put.

So how do you guys do it?

A challenge with the AMG 500 is the comparatively limited base platform area when it’s in horizontal/cart mode, and that’s even less when in tilted/hand-truck mode... though tilted provides more stacking height. So depending on your overall kit size and individual drum sizes, it’s more of a multi-trip cart than the AMG 750 or the RnR R8RT.

You have the right idea as far as stacking drums and gear. Largest on the bottom and parallel stacks where possible to minimize height and maximize stability. If you search this site and the web you should find plenty of example photos. Here’s an older thread here for starters...

I'd love to see how some of you stack. Got any pictures?

Don't own a cart but it would be nice after years of gigs with multiple hauling trips carrying. At times when I've been able to borrow a cart, stacking round drums, cymbal bag & a monitor is always tricky with stuff nearly falling off on corners or road bumps. Can't stand that! My stands aren't a problem because they're all in a SKB case with wheels.

I like the idea of that AMG 500 with bass drum on bottom followed by floor tom, snare, racks, etc. That looks like they'd stay put.

So how do you guys do it?
I have a rock and roller cart. I stack it up as logically as I can, then I bungee the stuff down with 2 straps for the ride in.

This $75 folding utility cart has served me for almost 30 years. It easily carries my drums (4-piece) & cymbal case on one trip. Hardware is a second trip using a rolling hardware case. More choices here.
496877BF-F624-47DD-B0CF-2384D4171CE0.jpeg

Last edited:
I picked this up at Harbor Freight. Cost was about $55 with a coupon. Most of the time I use it laying flat but occasionally the upright position is good for speakers and the larger tires are good for uneven surfaces.1563914914063.png

Back