Best double bass pedal for under or around $200

drummom

Kid's birthday is coming up and we want to get him a double base pedal (am I saying this right). He wanted a second base drum (not enough space) and went to a concert last night to realize you can do the double base pedal.

What is the best for a Mapex Armory Rock Kit? Looked like Mapex made a few as well as Tama in that price range along with DW and I'm blanking on the other brands. Want something to last.

Thanks

Any pedal from the big manufacturers will work to start with. Pearl, Tama, Yamaha, Mapex, Ludwig, DW, even Gibraltar.

You want to consider the cam when buying a pedal. If he likes his pedal, get one with the same style cam. Cams are either round (circular) or accelerator (egg shaped). There is also direct drive (bar linkage, no chain) and strap drive (nylon strap). A change in cam/drive is highly noticable. When you become comfortable with one, a change can be off-putting. None are better or faster than the others, it's all feel related.

I wish my mom was as into my drumming as you are your son. I had to scrape and save every penny to buy my own gear. Your son is truly blessed.

Thanks, he's pretty easy going at this age. No idea what we have. Larry here kindly gave us the currently pedal which he is happy with and its being very well loved and used daily (including now) . :) He's been talking about a double base drum for a while.

To me it makes more sense to buy gifts that will last and he'll use. I can either buy him a crazy expensive lego kit he'll put together once or buy drum gear that could last for may years. He really loves the drums and it comes naturally to him. Life is tuff as it is so anything we can do to make it easier and happier, we will. We are also lucky he doesn't ask for much.

Okay that's easy. You can take a picture of the pedal and post it and we can figure it out. Or maybe Uncle Larry will chime in and tell us exactly what the pedal is.

Legos are fun, drums are better!

Okay that's easy. You can take a picture of the pedal and post it and we can figure it out. Or maybe Uncle Larry will chime in and tell us exactly what the pedal is.

Legos are fun, drums are better!

I forget which pedal I gave him. I think it was a DW 2000 or 3000 single kicker pedal.

Imagine a Lego style drum kit, using curved pieces. You could build whatever size kit you want, vent it, not vent it, and change it to whatever you need. Like a transformer drum set. You could have a round head transform into a square shell. The geometry possibilities are unlimited.

They would break down much smaller than a set of drums. New drums = more Legos. It would give fresh meaning to the term break down my kit.

This could be a serious idea. They would have to have badges though or they won't sell...

Last edited:
Go to Amazon and look. I have never been let down by their ratings posts. Buying from a major brand should put your mind to ease. You must also start using the correct bass, and not base. LOL

I forget which pedal I gave him. I think it was a DW 2000 or 3000 single kicker pedal.

Imagine a Lego style drum kit, using curved pieces. You could build whatever size kit you want, vent it, not vent it, and change it to whatever you need. Like a transformer drum set. You could have a round head transform into a square shell. The geometry possibilities are unlimited.

They would break down much smaller than a set of drums. New drums = more Legos. It would give fresh meaning to the term break down my kit.

This could be a serious idea. They would have to have badges though or they won't sell...

That would be awesome! It would totally bring out the nerd/kid in me. I spent hours upon hours playing with Legos.

Unlimited depths, color combos, bearing edges, shell thicknesses. I think you may be on to something. I wonder how a plastic drum would sound?

Drummom: a DW pedal tells you what it is on the footboard. You can get a double in any model. Your son could get on with the feel instantly.

I want some Lego drums now.

New prices. Well, DW 2000 runs abound $200. Tama Iron Cobra 200 the same. Also, the Pearl P932. I just picked up the Pearl used off eBay .... and it was less than $140. Great pedal.

I'm pretty new to double bass and I got a DW3000 and I like it a lot. If he's right handed/footed then eBay will be great to find a used one. Lefty, not so much - I had to buy a new one!

The best double pedal under $200 will be a used $400 new double pedal.

(note: as long as it has not been abused)

5000 is the best pedal money can buy, well, the 9000 is cool to, and the new MDD’s. I’m such a drum nerd. But...I agree with uncle Larry that the 5000 is the only pedal he’ll ever need...

Also Larry, when are you pitching this LEGO idea to the major manufacturers???????

If undecided, I'll second a used DW 5002. Most people like them.

Also Larry, when are you pitching this LEGO idea to the major manufacturers???????

OK here's my pitch:

The whole thing would be a regular wood, metal or acrylic drum until just past the lugs. With the attachment system routed in to the exposed edge. From there the shell is attached, Lego style, or equivalent. The curved Lego bits could be made of solid wood, plastic, metal, or any combination. Talk about your customize-able sound, right?

RIMS ISO mounting so the regular drum piece takes all the strain. OMG there are so many possibilities my head is swimming. The head stays in tune too after breakdown lol. The shell part could be dead flat where the bearing edge goes, and the center 1/4" is routed out all the way around to accept an insert-able, perfectly round and true bearing edge ring that is held in solely by head tension, so that any bearing edge profile is possible just by swapping rings. They could be made of wood, metal, whatever. So you have all kinds of different sonic options there. They may even be versatile lol.
A Tom tree might be a sticking point. Setup time too. But what a novel concept!

I think they would sound like segmented solid shell drums, if the pieces were made of wood. It's a seriously stupid idea. I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work.

Edit, I just saw the YT lego kit. Again, it proves once again that I've yet to have an original thought and that there's nothing new under the sun.

I still like the bearing edge ring idea though. Could someone please show me who is doing that already too? Ay caramba...

Last edited:
OK here's my pitch:

The whole thing would be a regular wood, metal or acrylic drum until just past the lugs. With the attachment system routed in to the exposed edge. From there the shell is attached, Lego style, or equivalent. The curved Lego bits could be made of solid wood, plastic, metal, or any combination. Talk about your customize-able sound, right?

RIMS ISO mounting so the regular drum piece takes all the strain. OMG there are so many possibilities my head is swimming. The head stays in tune too after breakdown lol. The shell part could be dead flat where the bearing edge goes, and the center 1/4" is routed out all the way around to accept an insert-able, perfectly round and true bearing edge ring that is held in solely by head tension, so that any bearing edge profile is possible just by swapping rings. They could be made of wood, metal, whatever. So you have all kinds of different sonic options there. They may even be versatile lol.
A Tom tree might be a sticking point. Setup time too. But what a novel concept!

I think they would sound like segmented solid shell drums, if the pieces were made of wood. It's a seriously stupid idea. I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work.

Edit, I just saw the YT lego kit. Again, it proves once again that I've yet to have an original thought and that there's nothing new under the sun.

I still like the bearing edge ring idea though. Could someone please show me who is doing that already too? Ay caramba...
I just found out the bearings edge idea is patented I’m so sorry?. That pitch is very smart though I would purchase

New or used? I can't see a lot of "decent" double pedals for 200 or less new.

I ended up with a Pearl Eliminator (the older one). It has quite the fan following. Super adjustable. Also has the interchangeable "cams" which makes it super versatile. It was marked at $239 at guitar center, but since it had been there for a bit, they were able to knock it down to 200..maybe 209 (however they worked their calculations).

Anyway, it's a very nice double pedal, can't see me needing anything more (cuz it's well built, and I'm not great at doubles..but hey).

For the record, in my research , the DW (5000 I think) also came up a lot..

Good luck. (and let us know what ya end up with). ;)

T.

Back