Ludwig Gig Lite Head recommendations

Robzildjian

I’ve just bought a Ludwig gig lite kit for small gigs and easy transport. I have a number of kits and this is just for a specific use. Does anyone have one? What heads would you recommend?

Normally I would say Remo Ambassadors because they work great with almost anything, but those shells are pretty shallow. Maybe Pinstripes would thicken up the tone a little?

I'd probably go with an Evans Emad on the bass drum, they provide the best low end, which you'll need due to how shallow it is.

20180512_221517-1024x768_crop_614x614.jpg
Here is mine. I went with clear G1 on the rack and a clear G14 on the "floor".
The kick, as it's pictured, has a PS3 batter and an Aquarian Regulator reso. That's for tight and punchy close mic. I also use an Emad batter and a coated Ambassador without a port depending on the sound I'm going for.

This thing has been the ultimate small space setup.
The kick, 2 Tom's, and snare all fit in a 22x18 soft bag.

Normally I would say Remo Ambassadors because they work great with almost anything, but those shells are pretty shallow. Maybe Pinstripes would thicken up the tone a little?

I'd probably go with an Evans Emad on the bass drum, they provide the best low end, which you'll need due to how shallow it is.
I was gonna say, Pinstripes, or another 2-ply head like an Emperor, would work pretty well to give those small drums a "thicker" tone. Coated Ambassadors might make them sound like timbales if they weren't tuned right. As for the film, clear would probably be a better choice; the toms are going to have a very short sustain anyway, so coated heads might make them sound a little TOO muffled.

View attachment 86406
The kick, as it's pictured, has a PS3 batter and an Aquarian Regulator reso. That's for tight and punchy close mic. I also use an Emad batter and a coated Ambassador without a port depending on the sound I'm going for.

View attachment 86406

How do you find the bass unported? Does the pedal bounce back a lot?

How do you find the bass unported? Does the pedal bounce back a lot?
It sounds great with a full reso. It has a lot more thump than one would think. I don't find that the beater bounces back any more than normal. I don't bury the beater very often though.
I liked the thin kick so much that I cut down a 24x16 Ludwig Classic Maple to 24x9 and refinished the lot to match.

Back