How would you compromise, and why?

Mapex for me, so happy with the Saturns. The Black Panther equinox snare is tempting me.

I use all Zildjians but I realy want a full set of Amedia Vintage Series, I have a 20" Vintage series crash that is the best cymbal I've ever owned.

Hardware DW as long as I can have a strap drive 5000 pedal all is well with the world!
Drums and hardware have to come from the same manufacturer. Choose ! ;)
Stop cheating mikyok!! :LOL:

In this scenario I'd play DW for drums and hardware if that's the requirement in this thread as I love their drums (especially the ones I own) and pedals, can never see myself moving away from my DW5000 & DW5002 pedals, for example.

I don't own their cymbal stands as I prefer Pearl for those but I have used them and never had an issue.

Cymbals would be Sabian, without a doubt. Love their products and ranges.

The only way I could do one brand would be Yamaha, then Tama. Both have Pedals I can live with, followed by stands. Picking drums our of their lines would be cake too. For cymbals, I don’t know anymore. I’d have to be locked up in a room with no other drummers soloing for hours on end.

I started with Pearl and have tried just about everything. Now I am back to Pearl for shells and some hardware. Cymbals are tough for me because I have mixed sets of Zildjian, Sabian, and Paiste. My current favorite cymbals are 602 Pre-serial number. My favorite kit is now a 1968 Pearl Thunderking. Oh, I guess I didn't really answer the question....

All my drums are Mapex, and all of the cymbals I use are Sabian. I do have some Paiste hats and a ride, but I do not use them. Peace and goodwill.

Wow, tough choices. My current drums are vintage Ludwig, Gretsch, and Remo Roto Toms.
Most all my hardware is Yamaha (stands and rack).
I'd probably switch to Pearl. They certainly have the hardware solutions I'd need (I used to have a Pearl DR100 rack), and I'd probably get close to the drum shells I currently own thru Pearls Masterworks custom builds.
I'm almost all Sabian cymbals right now, so that would remain the same.

The two manufacturers drum wise I have played for 99% of my career have been Pearl & Yamaha. Even when I am Playing my RC's I will still use my Pearl Hardware as I have never switched from them in that respect. Honestly torn between the two but if it boiled down to it then it would be Yamaha due to the RC's :)
Cymbal wise, this is easy. Zildjian A & K's :)

I'm quite content with my gear (GeorgeWay, Gibraltar, Zildjian), but if I had to choose one vendor to survive the apocalypse, it would be Yamaha.

The only concern that I have with my GW is that it's hard to justify dragging it to dive-gigs. When you're opening for "Mercy Flush" at a downtown venue called "The Wet Spot"... It's a little crazy to be dragging around several grand worth of kit.

This thread is stressing me out. I refuse to play this hypothetical scenario game. Why? Because I played Drums from 1950 through 1970. Then I did not play drums from 1970 to 2012. When I came back into drumming I was totally floored by all the new, to me, drum equipment available. In the last few years I’ve been like a kid in a candy store. And now you are asking me to leave the candy store. NO, I refuse to participate! I’m not doing it……. However, your thread Michaelj actually has value.

This thread is stressing me out. I refuse to play this hypothetical scenario game. Why? Because I played Drums from 1950 through 1970. Then I did not play drums from 1970 to 2012. When I came back into drumming I was totally floored by all the new, to me, drum equipment available. In the last few years I’ve been like a kid in a candy store. And now you are asking me to leave the candy store. NO, I refuse to participate! I’m not doing it……. However, your thread Michaelj actually has value.

Very well played.

I play Ludwig drums, Atlas hardware and Meinl cymbals. No compromise necessary.

I'd have zero problem going 100% Yamaha. Snares, toms, kicks, hardware, all aces as far as I can see, with Sabians. Simple. Easy. Done.

Dan

If I had to pick one manufacturer where the brand name on both the drums and hardware had to match, I'd pick DW.

Most of the reason why I'd pick DW is because I like their drum pedals.

My main gear currently is N&C drums and snares , Sonor drums and snares , Paiste and Sabian cymbals and Tama and Canopus hardware .

If I was to go with just one manufacturer for Drums and Hardware my choice would be Sonor . N&C doesn’t make hardware or they would have been my first choice . Tama would be a close second . I love the Sonor Vintage kit I currently own and the three Sonor snares . I am a big fan of the Perfect Balance pedal too . If they made a lightweight hardware pack like Tama does there would be no hesitation .

Paiste cymbals will always be my preferred brand . I love the shimmer and crispness of them . They do not have that underlying gonginess that Sabian and Zildjian do .

Drums/Hardware: Tama
Heads: Evans
Cymbals: Sabian

With that said, I actually have a slight preference for Pearl drums over Tama, but I prefer Tama hardware to Pearl, but only just barely, and mainly because of their Iron Cobra pedals.

Heads are tougher - I use stuff from Evans, Aquarian, and Remo, depending on the drums (snares, in particular) but I'd have to go with Evans because I wouldn't want to give up EMADs.

Cymbals are easy - I started off with Sabian cymbals because at the time I bought my first pre-pack, they were less expensive than either Zildjian or Paiste, and I've been almost exclusive to Sabian for over 15 years. Then again, I did just pick up a great set of used Zildjian New Beats that I'm pretty taken with, but it's my understanding that Sabian AA Regulars/Mediums are essentially the same thing.

In the "all or nothing" situation....
All Ludwig for me. They've never let me down, and I love the sounds they make.
The Atlas hardware is a nice bunch of stuff, and sturdy. I use the flat base stands.
The Atlas Pro pedal is really nice.

Cymbals... I'd have to say Paiste. Mainly what I like in a ride, Paiste has that character with pretty much everything.

"Non-Compromise" situation: Ludwig drums and snares, my DW 6000 stands, Ludwig FB hi hat stand, Gibraltar ultra adjust snare stand for my tom, and either Paiste, Zildjian, or Sabian cymbals.

And, my Wuhan gong of course.

Gretsch drums.

Would like to have my DW pedals. Never owned anything else. DW sort of owns Gretsch now though, so maybe there's no compromise.

I don't have too many different brands anyway. It's mostly Gretsch and Zildjian. Some different snares, but the majority of them are Gretsch, too.

If we talked about hand percussion it would be much more difficult for me. If I had to pick one it would be LP, but I wouldn't be too happy about it.

Back