Problematic Label?

romicsteve

I am interested in this cymbal, but I am leery of the effect of removing the label. Do you think I can remove the label without adversely affecting the finish?

Attachments

• 03EA01C4-794A-4941-A28C-B5E115D796B9.jpeg
    03EA01C4-794A-4941-A28C-B5E115D796B9.jpeg
    463.3 KB · Views: 235
You do mean the sticky label right?
If so, yes, rip that baby right off, no issue at all.

Try some Goof Off. soak the label, rub it off, then was with soap and water and dry.

Are you planning on immediately reselling the cymbal? I say that because drum sticks will totally mar the surface a little more every time you strike it.

Pete

Guys, I am not a rookie. I let my cymbals age naturally - fingerprints, sweat, stick marks just add to the patina. I don't use cymbal cleaner. I am asking because I don't want a bright spot where the label has been removed by some chemical. If Goo-gone does the trick without adding a noticeable cleaning mark, that's great.

If it's at a store, do you think the salesperson would let you lift up part of the label to check out what's underneath? If it's online, do you think they would lift it up some and take a pic if you shared your concerns with them? If I was selling you something of mine, I'd be happy to do it.

So are you asking about the price tag or do you want to remove the Meinl and the Byzance logo?
If it's the Byzance label, you might have a hard time removing it perfectly. I once did this on a similar cymbal with a rough middle section - I bought it second hand and the label was half way gone, so I removed the rest with scouring cream on a sponge. The rough section of the cymbal did turn slightly brighter though and it's harder to remove all of the ink in that part. So, you might not be satisfied with the result if you want the cymbal to look like it's brand new after the removal.

Other people use acetone to remove labels but I haven't tried it myself.

He was talking about the sticker.

The actual cymbal logo on this line is laser engraved, so it’s not possible to remove it.

So are you asking about the price tag or do you want to remove the Meinl and the Byzance logo?
If it's the Byzance label, you might have a hard time removing it perfectly. I once did this on a similar cymbal with a rough middle section - I bought it second hand and the label was half way gone, so I removed the rest with scouring cream on a sponge. The rough section of the cymbal did turn slightly brighter though and it's harder to remove all of the ink in that part. So, you might not be satisfied with the result if you want the cymbal to look like it's brand new after the removal.

Other people use acetone to remove labels but I haven't tried it myself.

I really hate to scare the poster here. But, I purchased a cymbal two years ago that had a small price sticker on it. It came right off but the sticker left a square shadow ghost mark on the cymbal. The mark is the same size as the sticker. The metal under the sticker has been discolored. I tried everything under the sun to get rid of the mark. Nothing works. Maybe if I polished the whole cymbal with an abrasive it might disappear. I have not tried that.

I think it has to do with what kind of glue is used on the sticker and how long the sticker remains on the cymbal.

I hate stickers on my stuff !!!!!!!!!!!!

Here is a picture of it:

2v2ETRMSWx9mf5d.jpg

Word. There's a rectangular patch of duct tape glue stuck to the bell of my ride -- it was there when I bought it second hand. It's still there.

You can get rid of the glue easy enough. Lacquer thinner will do that.
But if the cymbal metal is stained that’s a different story.

I think I have one cymbal that's about 25 years old and still has residue from the little circle dot price tag that was on it when it was new.

Heat gun or set it out in the sun, then remove with plastic scraper. The rest of the residue can be pulled off with packing or duct tape. Just apply the sticky side keeping part of the tape up, so you don’t have to pry it up, then pull off the tape. repeat till clean. No risk of discoloring or altering the finish with chemicals.

Back