WHO ARE THE BEST DRUM TEACHERS IN THE UK?

mattcope

Hello there everyone and thank you for reading my first ever thread on any forum of any kind.

I am pretty new to all this but bare with me...

I have been playing drums for a while now, 19 years now and play in a serious band.
Ive been learning from some great books (some of the best have been the Gary Chafee books) but i cant help but feel i need a teacher who can really help me develop my "Tools" as a drummer.

I have been having a lot of difficulty in determining who are the "Bedroom teachers" and who are the teachers who are top of their game in our field and help someone who wants to constantly challenge them selves.

Can anyone help with some names, websites, or PM me with some numbers?

I can imagine there are a lot of people out there who would love to know exactly who to look for in a teacher and save time and money.

Thank you everybody look forward to hearing your posts.

Matt

Last edited:
I've heard good things about Bob Armstrong. His website is down at the moment so not sure if he is taking on new students. He has a bit of a waiting list too... I could ask if he is still adding people to his list next time I speak to him later on this month.

He teaches in Romford, Essex.

Thank you Mark S that is a good starting place to look. Ive had a look at his profile and he has taught some pretty special drummers. Thank you for that first lead.

Drop us a PM if you hear anything

Cheers

There are some great leads on teachers here people thank you very much.

Im leaning towards Bob Armstrong at the moment, seems to have had some pretty good pupils and some years of teaching under his belt.

Any other ideas in the north london area (give or take a few miles)?

I live 45 miles north of london just off the A1 in a little town in cambridgeshire called st neots. I will forgive anyone who has not heard of the place as its so insignificant that the AA forgot to add it to there road map 2 years in a row! Hehe.

Cheers

Matt

You can take private lessons at drum tech i think. I had a mate do that said they were very good.

Colin Woolway at drumsense in Croyden, and Simon Mellish at Percussion Works in Bournemouth are excellent!

Darren Farrugia, .

An Aussie?? Perish the thought. :)

Do you know much about him Boomka? Last I heard he was teaching at Drumtek here in Melbourne. Didn't know he'd moved back to the UK (assuming we're talking about the same Darren (or Darryn) Farrugia....after all, how many can there be?). Interesting. Very versatile drummer, I always thought.

Sorry for the hijack, OP.

An Aussie?? Perish the thought. :)

Do you know much about him Boomka? Last I heard he was teaching at Drumtek here in Melbourne. Didn't know he'd moved back to the UK (assuming we're talking about the same Darren (or Darryn) Farrugia....after all, how many can there be?). Interesting. Very versatile drummer, I always thought.

Sorry for the hijack, OP.

I didn't know he'd gone back! I'm behind the times.

I'll second Pat's mention of Colin and Simon.

There are some great leads on teachers here people thank you very much.

Im leaning towards Bob Armstrong at the moment, seems to have had some pretty good pupils and some years of teaching under his belt.

Any other ideas in the north london area (give or take a few miles)?

I live 45 miles north of london just off the A1 in a little town in cambridgeshire called st neots. I will forgive anyone who has not heard of the place as its so insignificant that the AA forgot to add it to there road map 2 years in a row! Hehe.

Cheers

Matt

I know St. Neots. I'm in Luton and pass by on the way to gigs and stuff pretty frequently. Actually was just in Cambridge to see Ratpack to prep for depping on it a month ago. There are some decent guys around Bedford, which isn't too far for you; Damien Fisher comes to mind. I'm just a little further down the road, though I don't have Bob's experience and pedigree. Not sure if he's teaching privately, but Matt Hodge - http://www.matthodgepercussion.com/ - studied with Bob if I'm right, and he's up in the Northeast end of Bedfordshire, which isn't too far away from you.

Last edited:
Chuck Sabo is now taking on more students. He's played on many hit singles and albums, and taught the Bachelors of Music Degree course in the NW London Institute.
He teaches from his studio in Hither Green SE London.
chucksabo.com 07411146533

Chuck Sabo is now taking on more students. He's played on many hit singles and albums, and taught the Bachelors of Music Degree course in the NW London Institute for 10 years.
He's DBS checked, and teaches from his studio in Hither Green SE London.
chucksabo.com 07411146533

I live in Northumberland. I am looking for lessons on the snare drum--jazz style. Do you know of a good jazz drum teacher?

I'd say Steve White's your man for that. He's based in London though. He used to have a studio in Manchester, don't know if he still does. You could ask him via talkback on his official site.

Back