Hi, Jennifer Leijen here!

Jennifer Leijen

Hiya!

I’ve been a member here for a while, but never introduced myself. I’m Jennifer (NL), I compose songs/play drums for The Compounds, been doing sessions for various (mainly Dutch) artists and I have a few projects running, playing only live drums. I can also play some (bass)guitar and piano (also tried the trumpet once and cried myself to sleep after that).

Currently I am working on a session with an American guitarist, recording drums and some basslines for his progressive tap-guitar rock. On may 26 The Compounds will release their first EP featuring me on drums. I mainly use Pearl drums, Paiste cymbals, Gibraltar and Pearl hardware, Tama pedals (and cobra clutch), Remo heads and Vic Firth sticks. I’m constantly looking for a better sound, so this might still change ( I’ll be getting the Sonor Protean GH snaredrum in august for the recordings of the new Compounds album).

I’ve studied biology, mainly to be able to only work two days a week so I can spend 5 days on drums and earn enough to buy a house, so I can build a studio in it and record from there (this will happen somewhere between 2020-2021) Hoping one day I can quit the day job and be doing nothing else but playing drums.

Always looking for new projects and meeting other musicians! I love to talk about music and drums.

You can check my setup here (Pearl is making me a custom 10 inch tom!):

https://imgur.com/gallery/sBp4HrN

Looking forward to meeting some members on here!

Hello Jennifer, and welcome to the forum.

Nice kit. Welcome to Drummerworld.​

Welcome, Jennifer, and thanks for the pics.

How do you like the Cobra Clutch? Did it take a while to get used to it?

Welcome, Jennifer, and thanks for the pics.

How do you like the Cobra Clutch? Did it take a while to get used to it?

Thanks! I like it, I use the Cobra Clutch to close the hihat really tight and a drop clutch to get a more open hihat sound. It took me about two weeks to get it into my system (playing +/- 40 hours a week), I am using it for a few months now and I can honestly say I prefer to always have it with me now. It’s worth trying if you don’t like using a drop clutch or if you want two hihat sounds when using a twin pedal!

If you're interested, photos from the EP release with my band The Compounds:

The Compounds Patronaat photoalbum

Fun fact: I smashed 3 Vic Firth SHAR2 (Gavin Harrison sticks) and one Vic Firth 2B and then had to use two different sticks, that's why I'm holding one SHAR2 and one 2B stick in the photos as I only had those two sticks left by the end of the show.

I always keep the two different pairs in case I want to switch, but I had never broken so many sticks live so far.

pjNcDyp.jpg

Last edited:
Rim shots are killer. I'm not sure it's fun to keep buying sticks.

Hiya!

I’ve been a member here for a while, but never introduced myself. I’m Jennifer (NL), I compose songs/play drums for The Compounds, been doing sessions for various (mainly Dutch) artists and I have a few projects running, playing only live drums. I can also play some (bass)guitar and piano (also tried the trumpet once and cried myself to sleep after that).

Currently I am working on a session with an American guitarist, recording drums and some basslines for his progressive tap-guitar rock. On may 26 The Compounds will release their first EP featuring me on drums. I mainly use Pearl drums, Paiste cymbals, Gibraltar and Pearl hardware, Tama pedals (and cobra clutch), Remo heads and Vic Firth sticks. I’m constantly looking for a better sound, so this might still change ( I’ll be getting the Sonor Protean GH snaredrum in august for the recordings of the new Compounds album).

I’ve studied biology, mainly to be able to only work two days a week so I can spend 5 days on drums and earn enough to buy a house, so I can build a studio in it and record from there (this will happen somewhere between 2020-2021) Hoping one day I can quit the day job and be doing nothing else but playing drums.

Always looking for new projects and meeting other musicians! I love to talk about music and drums.

You can check my setup here (Pearl is making me a custom 10 inch tom!):

Looking forward to meeting some members on here!
Welcome, Jennifer! I think you’ll find the folks here very helpful, friendly and understanding. Great to meet you ?

Welcome! Are you in NL still? I love there as well. Would love to say hello one day you play around RTM!

Hiya, for sure! I've spent some time in the USA in the past 2 months, sorry for the late reply.
I'll be playing in Vlaardingen on august 9, at KOFA, with a band called 'The Compounds'.

There will be more shows in the near future with different bands, spread through NL. You can always follow me on Instagram if you'd like to get updates on my drumming: https://www.instagram.com/jenniferleijen

Thanks for the message, looking forward to meeting one day!

Back