Ever had a band or genre of music that you shouldn't like...but you do?

Agree. Why shouldn't I? Is this just another attempt at, A band I just Couldn't like???

Stereotypes, plain and simple. Some folks are pigeonholed into a single genre, and aren't supposed to listen to anything else. It's huge amongst the metal crowd.

As an example, Grunt we know you aren't a fan of hip-hop. But if one hip-hop song got into your brain and you liked it, that song would qualify. You don't like hip-hop, so you shouldn't like that song. I think that's the gist of this.

Yeah I know it shouldn't matter, but for some reason it does. I've seen fights over music just as bad as fights over religion and politics.

I can't get past the "shouldn't" part of the question.

Larry, I think you're taking the "shouldn't" too literally. I do believe he meant in a more light-hearted tone.

Not that you shouldn't because someone made a rule, but shouldn't in that it's not part of your normal pattern, or normal habits, or normal definitions of what you tend to like.

For example, Larry, I am pretty sure you're not a metalhead and don't normally listen to anything even resembling extreme metal. Thus, listening to metal, in your mind, is something you don't do, and if a new metal band came along, you more than likely shouldn't like it based on your established habits and established likes.

Now if you suddenly fell in love with Jinjer, a metal band from Ukraine, and suddenly felt compelled to buy their albums and go see them live; no one is going to say you shouldn't because you are not allowed. But it would be out of character for you, thus, you shouldn't like it based on past likes and dislikes.

When I was teen, I had this thing I wouldn't listen to bands who used a drum machine, I would only listen to bands who had a real drummer. Hey, it was the 80's, what can I say.Then at 18, I was introduced to a band called Clan of Xymox. I fell in love with them. They used a drum machine. I shouldn't like them based on my listening habits and rules in my head at the time. But I did (and still do). I had to eventually realize it was a dumb rule.

Back in the day, I despised the BeeGees ‘cuz they were the vanguard of disco, which killed ‘70s funk. Around 2012, when my daughter became a huge fan, I was forced to listen to them on the 3-hour drive to college. I now have several of their albums.

And Barry Gibbs’ 2016 solo album In The Now is killer. Great drum sound, and he collaborated with his sons on it.

Larry, I think you're taking the "shouldn't" too literally. I do believe he meant in a more light-hearted tone.

Not that you shouldn't because someone made a rule, but shouldn't in that it's not part of your normal pattern, or normal habits, or normal definitions of what you tend to like.

For example, Larry, I am pretty sure you're not a metalhead and don't normally listen to anything even resembling extreme metal. Thus, listening to metal, in your mind, is something you don't do, and if a new metal band came along, you more than likely shouldn't like it based on your established habits and established likes.

Now if you suddenly fell in love with Jinjer, a metal band from Ukraine, and suddenly felt compelled to buy their albums and go see them live; no one is going to say you shouldn't because you are not allowed. But it would be out of character for you, thus, you shouldn't like it based on past likes and dislikes.

When I was teen, I had this thing I wouldn't listen to bands who used a drum machine, I would only listen to bands who had a real drummer. Hey, it was the 80's, what can I say.Then at 18, I was introduced to a band called Clan of Xymox. I fell in love with them. They used a drum machine. I shouldn't like them based on my listening habits and rules in my head at the time. But I did (and still do). I had to eventually realize it was a dumb rule.

Thanks for spelling it out Ian.

I think I understand now.

Yes... but a qualified yes.

I don't like Metal and EDM (electronic dance music). I don't have any albums in those genres, I don't like hearing them, and I'm generally turned off by them in most situations.

But, put me in a dive bar with a metal band playing, and I'm loving it. Put me in a club with hundreds of people dancing to EDM, and I'm getting it. Don't know why, don't know how, but I certainly wonder about it.

Is that the official name for what they’re doing with their voices? Lol

It's certainly an apt unoffical name anyway ("growling" I believe is the technical term)

Even within the metal genre, death is one I just can't get into (but that's a whole other thread) : )

Classical/Orchestral. Growing up I never thought it would appeal to me, but some of it definitely does.

Same here. When I was real young, my grandmother used to drag my brother and I to symphonies, musicals, and ballets. Though it was unappreciated at the time, I sure am glad she did.

Well, if I could only pick one style of music, it would be country rock, e.g., Charlie Daniels Band, Marshall Tucker Band, Lynyrd Skynyrd, 38 Special, etc. and nobody I know would be surprised.

But I DID like the Ohio Players and still have several of their album covers, (ahem) albums.

Same here. When I was real young, my grandmother used to drag my brother and I to symphonies, musicals, and ballets. Though it was unappreciated at the time, I sure am glad she did.

Thats awesome, more than seeing anything else lately, Id like to go see some bad ass orchestral. Members on here turned me on to a bunch of great stuff, I need to revisit. The Planets was one that sticks out, would LOVE to go see that with the symphony and especially with the NASA footage, it was a tour not too long ago, missed it.

Members on here turned me on to a bunch of great stuff, I need to revisit. The Planets was one that sticks out, would LOVE to go see that with the symphony and especially with the NASA footage, it was a tour not too long ago, missed it.

So glad to hear you've been turned on to some classical music!

And, I'm assuming you're talking about Gustav Holst's "The Planets". If so, tell me it isn't one of the most intense and heavy piece of music out there (especially Mars, The Bringer of War)?! Reminds me a lot of Steve Hackett's "Voyage of the Acolyte".

Back in college, when it was "give me rock or give me death," a friend and I decided to crash the San Diego symphony for not other reason than to be obnoxious. it was outdoors, by the water, and the theme was scifi with footage of movies playing on a giant screen! I was blown away at how incredibly moving and meticulously performed it all was. I was instantly hooked and then journeyed into discovering Jazz and other musical genres. From that point, I was happy to pay to get into the classical performances and that night really opened my eyes musically. Sadly, no one really shares that interest, so I don't get to attend all that often.

So glad to hear you've been turned on to some classical music!

And, I'm assuming you're talking about Gustav Holst's "The Planets". If so, tell me it isn't one of the most intense and heavy piece of music out there (especially Mars, The Bringer of War)?! Reminds me a lot of Steve Hackett's "Voyage of the Acolyte".

Yes Holst, super intense....I need to see and experience this live, the added NASA footage of planets is just the icing on the cake

Back in college, when it was "give me rock or give me death," a friend and I decided to crash the San Diego symphony for not other reason than to be obnoxious. it was outdoors, by the water, and the theme was scifi with footage of movies playing on a giant screen! I was blown away at how incredibly moving and meticulously performed it all was. I was instantly hooked and then journeyed into discovering Jazz and other musical genres. From that point, I was happy to pay to get into the classical performances and that night really opened my eyes musically. Sadly, no one really shares that interest, so I don't get to attend all that often.

They just dont know any better, I didn't! Powerful stuff. I also just missed the John Williams gig with all the movie themes, dang, need to get out more!

Agree. Why shouldn't I? Is this just another attempt at, A band I just Couldn't like???

X2 I listened to what I wanted to listen to. There ARE NO RULES about should or shouldn't listen to. It's a free world! I listened to Prince, Mariah Carey, Sinead O'Connor. . .AND, Guns & Roses, Metallica, Rage Against the Machine.

If it tastes good, eat it. If it sounds good (TO YOU) listen to it. It's far too simple.

I like bluegrass, blues, jazz, some metal, heavy rock, rock, pop, R&B, Rap & hip hop, grunge, prog rock, jam bands, whatever.

I feel hilariously guilty for liking NWA considering my music consists of nineties and eighties alt rock. And I also feel like I should hate roger water’s Radio KAOS because I generally don’t like synth or super slow music but it is one off my favorite albums.

Not a fan of R&B, funk, soul, etc , but I really enjoy Parliament Funkadelic's live performances, this concert in Houston in particular.

Back