My new Gretsch drums

Nice score! I've got a Gretch kit in the same sizes, although it's not a USA Custom - it's the basic cheapo Catalina Club Bop kit. All the same, it was very cool when they showed up on my doorstep and I got them set up and dialed in.

The yellow sounds like it's going to be cool. I gigged for years (on trumpet) with a drummer who used a yellow Yamaha Hip Gig kit - I always thought the yellow was a cool look.

Post pics when you get them!

This Thursday marks 11 weeks since my order. So 5–7 more weeks to go. Not that I'm counting the days or anything.

Funny thing, I now seem to be associating colours and finishes to food or scenery, which turned out to be a good way to figure out if they are right for me.

It all began when I almost pulled the trigger on a USA gold sparkle kit which just oozed Gretsch mojo to me, but it reminded me too much of Crush Orange (or Fanta) with the glitters acting as the sparkling agent. I like a sip of the thing now and then, but I could not see myself having some every day.

Then a used Antique Pearl Broadkaster came up simultaneously as a Ludwig CM in aged Onyx which I both loved, but I started tasting Werthers Original butterscotch candy every time I saw the kits. So that was it for me.

Now the yellow gloss or satin I truly enjoy. I think not-too sweet lemon pie, charcoaled chicken in a garlic and lemon marinade, a corona at the beach with a lemon slice, an excellent choice for every circumstance !

Probably why I like black (Guiness anyone?) and autumn red lacquer (great outdoors, apples, wine and for of course the song autumn leaves). I can never get enough of natural wood finishes either, very pure.

Again, it is all in my complicated head I still love different finishes, but it has become a good way for me personally to decide on finishes I would enjoy in the long run.

Congrats on the new kit, keep us posted !

Can't wait to see some photos. The yellow finish is going to be stunning.

The combo of yello lacquer and the silver interiors is killer. But I suppose with coated heads the interiors won’t be seen much, but it’s cool to know the color combo is in there.

As for the wait, I recall reading the Gretsch lacquer process takes several weeks. Several coats with 6 days drying between coats, so if these drums aren’t in stock,they’re made to order. Factor in multiple orders waiting for finishing and you’re waiting a few months.

These will be with the wait! Have you spent time behind a set of Gretsch before? To me, they have a distinct sound. Almost twangy...which I love. I’ve got a set of USAs that I’ll never part with.

Funny thing, I now seem to be associating colours and finishes to food or scenery, which turned out to be a good way to figure out if they are right for me.

It all began when I almost pulled the trigger on a USA gold sparkle kit which just oozed Gretsch mojo to me, but it reminded me too much of Crush Orange (or Fanta) with the glitters acting as the sparkling agent. I like a sip of the thing now and then, but I could not see myself having some every day.

Then a used Antique Pearl Broadkaster came up simultaneously as a Ludwig CM in aged Onyx which I both loved, but I started tasting Werthers Original butterscotch candy every time I saw the kits. So that was it for me.

Now the yellow gloss or satin I truly enjoy. I think not-too sweet lemon pie, charcoaled chicken in a garlic and lemon marinade, a corona at the beach with a lemon slice, an excellent choice for every circumstance !

Probably why I like black (Guiness anyone?) and autumn red lacquer (great outdoors, apples, wine and for of course the song autumn leaves). I can never get enough of natural wood finishes either, very pure.

Again, it is all in my complicated head I still love different finishes, but it has become a good way for me personally to decide on finishes I would enjoy in the long run.

That's an interesting way to look at it. I love vintage white pearl and black diamond pearl finishes. What kind of food it that?

That's an interesting way to look at it. I love vintage white pearl and black diamond pearl finishes. What kind of food it that?

Well, put together at this particular time of day, I would say an Italian double espresso with sugar crystals and hot milk on the side : try and get bored with that !

Taking it a step further in the music dept. rather than the grocery aisles, I would advise against getting Ebony and Ivory stuck in your head because that's a good two weeks of your life you're never getting back.

The combo of yello lacquer and the silver interiors is killer. But I suppose with coated heads the interiors won’t be seen much, but it’s cool to know the color combo is in there.

As for the wait, I recall reading the Gretsch lacquer process takes several weeks. Several coats with 6 days drying between coats, so if these drums aren’t in stock,they’re made to order. Factor in multiple orders waiting for finishing and you’re waiting a few months.

These will be with the wait! Have you spent time behind a set of Gretsch before? To me, they have a distinct sound. Almost twangy...which I love. I’ve got a set of USAs that I’ll never part with.
My friend owns a music store in my town and one day he brought in a set of his own and put it out on the showroom floor, hoping to find a buyer. This was a 90s-era set in burnt orange gloss.

I think he brought it in specifically to taunt me into buying it. I kept looking at it and was almost afraid to play it, in case I fell in love with it. I spent about an hour at the shop, hanging, chatting up my friends who worked there. It was like hanging around the high school dance floor working up the nerve to ask the girl you like to dance. Finally, I couldn't resist. I told myself, "Come on, it's not like you've never heard a drum before. You can play the thing and not be compelled to buy it. Just tap on that 8x12 tom and move on."

So I did. And as soon as I heard it, I swooned. "F***, that's the sound!" I didn't buy that set; he had modified the hardware in a way that didn't suit me. But the damage was done. I knew I had to own a set. And soon I will!

I actually thought about going clear with the reso heads just to see the interior/exterior color combo. I think about that type of thing a lot, just the visuals I'm going for. But there's something about coated on top and bottom, a sound I love. So to start with, that's what I'm going with. I can always change my mind.

I love the food-finish connection. That is really cool. I have connected sound to taste. I have a cymbal that sounds like a glass of Islay single malt scotch. If that makes sense (don't worry, it doesn't).

M

I think he brought it in specifically to taunt me into buying it. I kept looking at it and was almost afraid to play it, in case I fell in love with it. I spent about an hour at the shop, hanging, chatting up my friends who worked there. It was like hanging around the high school dance floor working up the nerve to ask the girl you like to dance. Finally, I couldn't resist. I told myself, "Come on, it's not like you've never heard a drum before. You can play the thing and not be compelled to buy it. Just tap on that 8x12 tom and move on."

So I did. And as soon as I heard it, I swooned. "F***, that's the sound!" I didn't buy that set; he had modified the hardware in a way that didn't suit me. But the damage was done. I knew I had to own a set. And soon I will!

Cool story Lar. Please make a big deal when they come, it's been way too long coming for you.

I actually thought about going clear with the reso heads just to see the interior/exterior color combo. I think about that type of thing a lot, just the visuals I'm going for. But there's something about coated on top and bottom, a sound I love. So to start with, that's what I'm going with. I can always change my mind.

Can you specify what heads you want on your USA Custom?

Cool story Lar. Please make a big deal when they come, it's been way too long coming for you.
Thanks, Larry! It's not my style to make a big deal of things like this... but in this case, I will make an exception.

Can you specify what heads you want on your USA Custom?
I ordered them with single-ply coated top and bottom on snare and toms. Bass drum will have a single-ply coated batter and white single-play reso with the offset logo. If I like them, I'll leave them alone for a while before replacing them. I usually play Remo or Aquarian single-ply coated for the type of music I'll be using these drums for.

According to the initial wait-time estimate, my drums could arrive as early as next week. I'm not counting on that, though.

By "not counting on that," I mean IF THEY DON'T GET HERE NEXT WEEK I'M GONNA LOSE MY MIND.

Best drums ever, though Broadkasters are also cool.

According to the initial wait-time estimate, my drums could arrive as early as next week. I'm not counting on that, though.

By "not counting on that," I mean IF THEY DON'T GET HERE NEXT WEEK I'M GONNA LOSE MY MIND.

I've been checking this thread regularly for updates...lol. Hopefully you get them soon and they're everything you wanted!

His first post he said he felt self-indulgent, but that's OK. Indulge on. We all wait with bated breath.

Back