Overrated Drummers -who's on your list? Steve Gadd?

Hey I personally believe I'm an "overrated drummer". So FINALLY I've made a list on DW. Oh yeah- eat it all you haters who have banned me from their lists (I'm not naming names but you know who you are). I'm on a "list" now. Bone fide-official.

So now a new Question. "Who is the best Overrated Drummer?" This should be interesting.

Marmite and Veggimite I've never tried it-reminds me of the days of Hippie dust and people eating the denatured yeast granules and bean sprouts. I've never tried any so not dissing it-though I understand both an acquired tast, but it's made from "yeast". I just assumed "Veggie" meant it was vegetable product so I was taken back by the discovery. I guess if it's good who cares!!! Nutella is good but I never keep in the house. My love now is Kerrygold Irish butter-the reason I've gained 10 lbs lately. I usually never eat toast but now I have to have something to put the butter on.

You ate burrito with only your feet? While playing drums??? Awesome lol.

Ate a burrito one time while playing a song with only my feet. People who were outside thought I was doing some really cool stylistic bass drum and hat work not realizing that I was actually just being lazy and eating a burrito. I got a kick out of that.

"Did you just eat a burrito through that whole song?"

but it's made from "yeast".

Vegemite is a mixture of vegetable and yeast extract. In it's simplest form, it is the sludge at the bottom of beer vats leftover from the brewing process.

Now, any food made from beer should have automatic inclusion as it's very own food group IMHO.

I honestly believe I should be on the list. After shows, some people (non drummers) say I played amazingly. But really it was only ok. Then there is one local drummer, that I feel is way better than me, going crazy over the simple things I do.

If I was famous, I would be the Meg White of thrash!
Because I play like a peanut butter sandwich.

I take an extremely minimalist approach to double bass myself. 32nd notes throughout....its been done....flurries of intermittent quarter and whole notes, thats where its at with thrash imho

Bonzo? Overrated? I'm genuinely interested in hearing why you think this. Hopefully it's more robust than "Led Zeppelin sucks and is too popular."

Also, Lars Ulrich is overrated by anyone who thinks he's a good drummer. He's literally the worst drummer in metal, at least when it comes to playing live. Jordison is good, but not the god he's been made into. Same with The Rev from A7X.

Yeah it's NOT whether or not you dig the music. It's about the quality of musicianship. I don't see how ANYONE could say Bonham is overrated. He did far too many things live and recorded that allows EVERYONE to see how good really is.

Personally, I just don't know. I used think Max Weinberg was WAY overrated, then you see him play with someone other than the Boss and you're like, "Ohhhh kay, give him some room and let him do his thing." It's about what the music requires in a setting. What kind of freedom do they have.

IMO, Phil Collins was a favorite in the 80s. . .I definitely think he's overrated. JMO

No! No! No! Phil Collins is not overrated. Overexposed and oversaturated in the 80’s? Yes. Overrated? Absolutely not. I’m not the only person who got into drumming because of him.

Last edited:
Now, can we talk about Larry Mullen Jr.?

We could. If he were ever actually rated at all, that is.

I've never read anything other than him being shit canned here. In nearly 10 years on the forum, I think DrumEatDrum is the only one that's ever had anything positive to say.

The guy has created some pretty bloody iconic drum parts in his time. His use of rhythmic patterns was a pretty unique approach for its time. There really weren't a hell of a lot of guys doing it the same way he was. Yet somehow he's never given much credit on this forum.

I don't get it. He's not a master technician. Nor is he a chops monster. But he was creative, inventive and musically supportive. He played parts that fit U2's emotive themes perfectly. His playing created tension, release and mood. What more should be required of anyone?

Overrated? Not a chance. You have to be rated to begin with to fit into that category. And the poor sod just never is.

Last edited:
Childish thread anyway..

And everyone who considers Larry Mullen Jr. to be a bad drummer has completely not understood what creative (yes, i said creative) rock drumming, or drumming in general, is about..

You ate burrito with only your feet? While playing drums??? Awesome lol.

Okay, now I'm starting to get insecure. I like to eat in the most efficient way possible and I'm tired of the stares and responses like this.

I was tempted to post a few I had in mind, but I won't. I'd hate to come across my name in this thread. These are real people, not fictional characters.

Anyone else hate threads that are just designed to bring out the worst in people? Plus.. is it possible to over-rate gadd? i don't see how.. i mean come on...
Gadd Leaves..

Me. I'm overrated. Whenever I see video or hear audio of myself playing, I realize I have some work to do. Not to mention some of the "derp" faces that get captured in photos.

DSC_1285.jpg

No! No! No! Phil Collins is not overrated. Overexposed and oversaturated in the 80’s? Yes. Overrated? Absolutely not. I’m not the only person who got into drumming because of him.

You might want to listen to his work on "Supper's Ready" from Foxtrot or "The Cinema Show" from Selling England by the Pound. If those don't convince you otherwise, listen to this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vo7mYqaMKXA

Now, can we talk about Larry Mullen Jr.?

Don't get me wrong! I love Phil. I love his music, his writing. I even saw him with Genesis live when I was 15. Seats were BEHIND CHESTER THOMPSON! I was so stoked! But in the show, of course, Chester did most of the work.

Oversaturated and overexposed, Excellent terms for how I feel I guess. I still don't think he's a top ten-er.

Thanks for the link, I'll check it out.

Childish thread anyway..

You know what...you're right.

I may not like every drummer, but there's no reason why I have to add any negative energy to this thread, or any other for that matter. It was, as you say, childish.

Back