What's your latest purchase?

Just back from a little road trip to swap my Tama Starphonic Maple Burl for a Tama Starphonic Nickel over Brass.
Not had chance to give it a whirl yet but a little fettling & it sounds awesome :) Very pleased. I did the swap as I already have two other Maple Snare's & wanted a Brass Snare for a different sound :)

Wow!

Wow!

Did I say "Wow?"

That is one gorgeous snare drum. It's so easy to find great snare drums nowadays that one has the luxury of basing a lot of purchasing decisions based on looks alone. This one would be a no-brainer for sure. Just beautiful.

GeeDeeEmm

I bought the dw9002 pedals from The Drum Shop of Portland,ME.

Someone mentioned they were taking offers on their dw stuff. I got a floor model, but I can't find a molecule of dirt or anything on it. Very happy so far... looking forward to trying the straps instead of chains.

I bought the dw9002 pedals from The Drum Shop of Portland,ME.

Someone mentioned they were taking offers on their dw stuff. I got a floor model, but I can't find a molecule of dirt or anything on it. Very happy so far... looking forward to trying the straps instead of chains.

I usually use a strap with my DW 9000 single pedal, you should at least give it a try.

I've pretty much only used speed kings, sometimes with an old Pearl slave pedal, but I played someone's set with a 5000 / strap drive a while back and instantly decided it was time for me to get one.

I'll hardly use the left side these days except for some fills and "trainwreck endings" as poster Spreggy put it.

Last edited:
Wow!

Wow!

Did I say "Wow?"

That is one gorgeous snare drum. It's so easy to find great snare drums nowadays that one has the luxury of basing a lot of purchasing decisions based on looks alone. This one would be a no-brainer for sure. Just beautiful.

GeeDeeEmm

It is definitely a thing of beauty & weighs as much as it looks......... Going to have a bash on it tomorrow when everyone is out :)

After being away from drumming for 25?years I decided it was past time to get back to it. Found this awesome set of Pearl Export EX drums with all Zildjians for $400! Needed cleaned up a bit and will probably replace the heads soon, but other than that a great deal. I’ve played every day and my skills are coming back! It’s great to have online tools to help learn compared to When I learned the first time!

Attachments

• 2447D5A1-D2CF-4798-B932-6D927FCF1C25.jpeg
    2447D5A1-D2CF-4798-B932-6D927FCF1C25.jpeg
    98.7 KB · Views: 592
I ordered and freshly been delivered a Pearl floor tom > jungle bassdrum conversion kit.
To be able to play in small pubs. I can't say that I'm very excited to try it out.

British Drum Company Joe's Butler. What a great accessory. These are in demand and are sold out most everywhere. Drum Center of Portsmouth had them backordered for several months. They may have a couple left.

DCP is sold out but I found one through eBay! Thanks for posting this, I desperately needed something like this for my gigs!

After being away from drumming for 25?years I decided it was past time to get back to it. Found this awesome set of Pearl Export EX drums with all Zildjians for $400! Needed cleaned up a bit and will probably replace the heads soon, but other than that a great deal. I’ve played every day and my skills are coming back! It’s great to have online tools to help learn compared to When I learned the first time!

Just looking, but you may want to use the bass drum legs to get the front hoop off of the floor about a half inch. I'm afraid what the constant pounding effect will have on the hoop.

I had an anxiety dream the weekend before my bands last gig that we were playing and I couldn't hear anything so I decided to bite the bullet and try IEMs. Cash is a bit tight so I thought I'd try a Beringer P2 because they're only £30. My god, it's phenomenal. I could hear everything clearly, I could control the volume at will. I've never been happier with a purchase so completely and instantly. I'd recommend one to any gigging drummer that regularly plays with monitors, I honestly think it will improve our gigs massively, just need to do more of them now.

I'm considering getting a little mixer too so I can run a click track and also use a small recorder to save the monitor mix for posterity.

I was at my local shop this past weekend to see if they had a portable kit that I could use for rehearsals and the occasional jam session and small room gig. something that I could use when I did not want to take one of my larger and more expensive kits. My qualifications for the purchase were sound, portability, build quality and appearance and price.

The Sonor AQ2 Safari kit fit my specifications perfectly, it is a really good sounding, well made kit with great features and very reasonably priced. I also really liked the sparkle lacquer finish as well.

The snare drum was the only weak link on the kit IMHO and I did not take it home as I prefer to use my 13" Sonor Benny Greb snare with this kit instead.
I also swapped the stock Remo UT tom batters for US made Remo Ambassadors and they noticeably improved the sound of this kit. The UT heads have a heavier steel counter hoop than the US made Remo Ambassadors.

The 16" bass drum is the most surprising and impressive aspect of this kit. It has a lifter and it has lots of bottom end even with the stock heads in place.
I could do a wide Variety of gigs with this bass drum.

The 10" rack tom and 13" floor tom with legs have a wide tuning range that I am sure anyone could find a nice sound from.

It came with a bass drum mounted tom mount/cymbal arm that is well designed and secure and I could easily get it set up in a position I liked.

Th included snare is not bad per se, I just did not see myself using it when I had the excellent Benny Greb snare already.

The bearing edges and finish are excellent on this kit and the shells are made from a combination of Canadian and Chinese maple and sound like what you expect from a maple shell kit. I assume the inclusion of the Chinese maple helps keep the price down.

I have owned a lot of portable kits ( Whitney nesting penguin, Yamaha Hip gig etc.) and this Sonor AQ2 kit more than holds it's own sonically and is considerably less money.

Attachments

• Sonor AQ2.jpg
    Sonor AQ2.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 554
Still on my spending spree............

Pair of Gibraltar Stealth Racks. Have no need for the baskets so will sell those on :) Would have liked to have used them tomorrow but don't have the time now :( Will sort next week.
First impressions........ Very, very solid. A little heavier than I thought though.

Untitled by Kevin Frost, on Flickr
Untitled by Kevin Frost, on Flickr

I've spent a lot of money lately. Bought a 10x13" rack tom for my Ludwig kit, a Ludwig Black Magic snare, and a Wuhan 16" china. Also bought a couple of Ludwig Atlas Standard boom cymbal stands.

British Drum Company Joe's Butler. What a great accessory. These are in demand and are sold out most everywhere. Drum Center of Portsmouth had them backordered for several months. They may have a couple left.

I really like the idea of these, but just think they're massively overpriced for what they are...

G’day I was googling info about Recording Custom Drums, as I just bought some and it led me to an ancient Drummerworld thread about why RC’s aren’t popular anymore, so here I am to put my hand up and say - I love RC’s!

What’s not to love?

The kit I bought is a Double Bass Drum Rig with 8”,10”,12”,13” Rack Toms and 16”,18” Floor Toms. The Bass Drums are 22” but are different depths (14” and 16”) and a matching 14” x 8” Snare! It is a 1991 Vintage MIJ in Hot Red and was ordered as single drums that made up a custom order.

This kit eluded me 4 years ago when it was sold before I could sink my claws in, but I finally got my chance!

I’ve always been a fan of Birch both in the studio and live, as a lot of my style involves fast hand / foot combos and I appreciate the staccato note of these drums. Having said that I’ve also had Maple and Composite kits that I’ve loved over the years but none as much as this beauty!

I believe that lack of marketing over the years has let RC’s slip off their pedestal a bit but those who know, just know... and Yamaha know that they have a winner so have only now just got Steve Gadd back on the marketing train with the re-vamped model of this prodigious drum series.

Anyway thanks for reading and I will post a couple of pics starting with the ones that were used to advertise the Big Red Beast!

Cheers from Down Under.

Attachments

• A3A53A45-771C-4A4B-BE28-6A6407123203.jpeg
    A3A53A45-771C-4A4B-BE28-6A6407123203.jpeg
    180.2 KB · Views: 492
  • C7049FFB-7C34-4DF8-9847-426DC79F0104.jpeg
    C7049FFB-7C34-4DF8-9847-426DC79F0104.jpeg
    211.1 KB · Views: 487
G’day I was googling info about Recording Custom Drums, as I just bought some and it led me to an ancient Drummerworld thread about why RC’s aren’t popular anymore, so here I am to put my hand up and say - I love RC’s!

What’s not to love?

The kit I bought is a Double Bass Drum Rig with 8”,10”,12”,13” Rack Toms and 16”,18” Floor Toms. The Bass Drums are 22” but are different depths (14” and 16”) and a matching 14” x 8” Snare! It is a 1991 Vintage MIJ in Hot Red and was ordered as single drums that made up a custom order.

This kit eluded me 4 years ago when it was sold before I could sink my claws in, but I finally got my chance!

I’ve always been a fan of Birch both in the studio and live, as a lot of my style involves fast hand / foot combos and I appreciate the staccato note of these drums. Having said that I’ve also had Maple and Composite kits that I’ve loved over the years but none as much as this beauty!

I believe that lack of marketing over the years has let RC’s slip off their pedestal a bit but those who know, just know... and Yamaha know that they have a winner so have only now just got Steve Gadd back on the marketing train with the re-vamped model of this prodigious drum series.

Anyway thanks for reading and I will post a couple of pics starting with the ones that were used to advertise the Big Red Beast!

Cheers from Down Under.

That's lush. I have RC's in Cherry & also an RTC in Hot Red. Can't beat these era Yamaha kits :)

I bought some brushes. I saw someone play with brushes at a show last weekend and it looked cool so I got some. Now to figure out how to use them.

Back