Happy 110th Gene!

Jeremy Bender

Platinum Member
A toast to the "Dean of Swing" today! The man credited with bringing drums out of the back row shadows and up front into the limelight as a solo instrument.
"Gene Krupa, was an Polish-American jazz and big band drummer, band leader and composer. He is known for his highly energetic, flamboyant style and showmanship. Krupa was important for his musical contribution to jazz music and his influence extends to this day. Gene Krupa elevated the role of the drummer as a frequently used solo voice in the band, making him one of the first major percussive soloists.
He is also known for defining the standard jazz drum kit used today and is also widely considered as the founding father of the modern drum set."

Attachments

• 25593905_538668693154401_3794331586146399480_n.jpg
    25593905_538668693154401_3794331586146399480_n.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 188
Wow. Whom ever had the first little snare part really had the snare batter cranked. Seemed a little tight for the times, 1962. Sounded OK but just tight for what I have heard them play before. All good stuff.

Good stuff-two drummers that from my youth to this day have awed and inspired me-now that's a legacy. Now I'll light the bomb and walk out of the room "WHO was greatest". Course that's easy Tony Williams or maybe Ringo ROFL. Just Kidding!!!!! We should ban those idiotic comparisons-have a FAQ why it's so idiotic and no one can go there LOL (course I just did-dang I'm an idiot). I was watching a video of Jeff Hamilton and Tommy Igoe sort of drum off and noted comparisons who was better-they can't see the forest cause I guess the trees are blocking their vision.

Wow. Whom ever had the first little snare part really had the snare batter cranked. Seemed a little tight for the times, 1962. Sounded OK but just tight for what I have heard them play before. All good stuff.

Buddy is the cranked snare master and very staccato playing style. Gene utilized more of the whole kit and was the low tuner of the time.

Back