K vs. K Sweet? Opinions/help

Sibes

So, I’ve been thinking of getting a different ride and hats. I have the Zildjian A391 cymbal pack that works well for my 90’s cover band (14” New Beats, 16 & 18” A Medium thin crashes, 21” A Sweet ride). . . . But, I also have a set of K’s. 14” K hats, 17 & 18” K Custom Dark crashes, and 20” K ride. Wondering what I would get sound wise if I switched to 15” K Sweet hats and 21” K Sweet ride? Anyone compare the K to the K sweet?

I want a little more of that glassy tone to my hats. Also, my K ride sounds nice, and has a decent crash sound, but sometimes it seems a little pingy and harsh. I’ve had a hard time finding a ride I really like. I played a 21 k sweet for about a minute at GC and it sounded nice. Thoughts? Suggestions? Thanks

I can't comment on the ride, but I have the 16 Sweet hats and I love them. I actually prefer them to the K light hats I have played. I think the Sweets are softer and dirtier. I will say that I haven't cared for any of the sweet crashed I have played, brighter than I expected them to be.

K sweet rides are nice. But don’t count out a k special dry ride. I have one in 21” and it’s amazing

Pingy but not too harsh, great bell sound, quick and nice tone, and the crash sound is unbelievable

I love the K Sweet Rides, but last week I ran across a cymbal that has captured my curiosity even more: 22" A "Avedis" Ride (A22R)
. I've been trying to decide what I can sell in order buy that one. I was saving up for a K Sweet.

GeeDeeEmm

th

K sweet rides are nice. But don’t count out a k special dry ride. I have one in 21” and it’s amazing

Pingy but not too harsh, great bell sound, quick and nice tone, and the crash sound is unbelievable

I agree, I have the 21" K Special Dry and it is a great ride.

However, I have to admit I have been thinking about picking up something like a 22" K Light or a 21" K Sweet or something as a bit of a change of pace though.

I spent a while with the 21” K Sweet Ride a little while ago. It’s basically what my 20” K Ride wishes it was. Not currently in the market for a washy ride though.

21” K Special Dry Ride
Now, ‘that’ one though..!

last week I ran across a cymbal that has captured my curiosity even more: 22" A "Avedis" Ride (A22R)
. I've been trying to decide what I can sell in order buy that one. I was saving up for a K Sweet.

GeeDeeEmm

th

That's a nice pie.

Get an old 50s/60s/70s A Medium ride. They're exactly the same only a lot cheaper so you probably won't need to sell anything.

However, I have to admit I have been thinking about picking up something like a 22" K Light or a 21" K Sweet or something as a bit of a change of pace though.

Are you guys referring to the K Custom Special Dry Ride?

I can't find anything about a regular K Special Dry Ride.

Are you guys referring to the K Custom Special Dry Ride?

I can't find anything about a regular K Special Dry Ride.

Yes K Custom Special Dry Ride.

Yes K Custom Special Dry Ride.

OK - thanks.

About the K vs. K Sweet - I've got a couple regular K's and a 21 K Sweet.

To my ears, the regular K's have a more pronounced ping and a stronger bell.
They're a bit harsher and louder than the Sweet.

The K Sweet is smoother, has a nicer wash, crashes better, and blends better.
The ping and bell are adequate, but not pronounced.
YMMV

That's a nice pie.

Get an old 50s/60s/70s A Medium ride. They're exactly the same only a lot cheaper so you probably won't need to sell anything.

Well, normally I'd agree with you, Mikyok. Over 50+ years of playing, I've had a slew of 60s and 70s Zildjian A Medium rides, but none have sounded as phenom as the Avedis I played in GC the other day. And I'm strongly suspecting that the attributes that entranced me that day may exist only in that particular cymbal.

Sorry to hijack the thread. My choice would be the K Sweet.

GeeDeeEmm

I love the K Sweet Rides, but last week I ran across a cymbal that has captured my curiosity even more: 22" A "Avedis" Ride (A22R)

GeeDeeEmm

th

I have a 21in Avedis on the lighter side at 2194 grams and it's a beautiful sounding Cymbal. Perfect mix of bright and dark at the same time. I would like to have a full set of them. Bell is musical and cutting and works great as a crash ride. Im curious about the K Sweet's but have not played one. I just had to second this comment.

OK - thanks.

About the K vs. K Sweet - I've got a couple regular K's and a 21 K Sweet.

To my ears, the regular K's have a more pronounced ping and a stronger bell.
They're a bit harsher and louder than the Sweet.

The K Sweet is smoother, has a nicer wash, crashes better, and blends better.
The ping and bell are adequate, but not pronounced.
YMMV

Thanks! Sounds like exactly what I’m looking for!

I DID just order a set of 15” K Sweet hats . . . Can’t wait to get them.

my K ride sounds nice, and has a decent crash sound, but sometimes it seems a little pingy and harsh. I’ve had a hard time finding a ride I really like. I played a 21 k sweet for about a minute at GC and it sounded nice. Thoughts? Suggestions? Thanks

This was me exactly. I had a 20 K ride that was nice, and crashed sort of OK but not great. I got a K 21 Sweet instead and it's is exactly what I wanted - just a bit 'softer' than my K 20 and crashes better. Sweeter, I suppose!

Well, normally I'd agree with you, Mikyok. Over 50+ years of playing, I've had a slew of 60s and 70s Zildjian A Medium rides, but none have sounded as phenom as the Avedis I played in GC the other day. And I'm strongly suspecting that the attributes that entranced me that day may exist only in that particular cymbal.

Sorry to hijack the thread. My choice would be the K Sweet.

GeeDeeEmm

Counter hijack :) If you've found the one run to her!

Compared the 21 and 23 Sweet rides. Pulled the trigger on the 23 a few weeks ago. More solid as a ride I think. Today, I bought the Special Dry ride also talked about here. Can't wait to get my hands on it...

I recently bought new 14” K and K Sweet hats at the same time. There’s almost no difference in sound. Changing size from 14” to
15” will of course be noticeable.

I recently played some 14 K sweet hats and thought they had a really unique and pleasing tone. I would describe as glassy attack without being overly bright. Very sweet indeed.

Hi there,
New member here, although I've been browsing the forums for years. As of 2019, I've had the pleasure to live in Denver, where finding "hard to find" cymbals and drums is relatively easy, so I thought I'd add my thoughts after hearing these cymbals in the OP. And, yes. Old thread, cymbals already purchased, but maybe this helps those still in the market?

For hats, the trend seems to be "bigger is better". That said, I preferred standard 14" K hats vs 15" K Sweet hats - has anyone here played Paiste Dark Energy hats? I think you may find the K Sweets comparable in that they both have a relatively thin top with an extra thick bottom. Long story short, I never could get used to my Paiste Dark Energy Hats and just knew that I'd have the same problem with the Sweets. That said, I LOVE my K light 15" hats - nice stick definition, good enough cut for amplified gigs, and just the right amount of wash.

My Light K's came in a pack, so I also had a 22" K Light Ride for a month or so. I suppose jazz and blues drummers will love this cymbal. For me, competing against guitar amps in a 4-piece group, I found it to have too little stick definition. It did blend beautifully, though. The 21" K Sweet ride fixed the lack of stick definition. As everyone else has said, it crashes great, has a pronounced bell, and to my ears, is just a beautifully sweet ride cymbal.

Back