Heads with a Warm Sound

JohnnyG

Honorary Lifetime CEO
Staff member
I just realized I have been on this site now for 13 years, and don't remember any discussion on this. So if it just my feeble mind, pardon me. I have tried every Evans batter head on my snare and every one of them seems to have a plastic sound. I like my snare tuned high, and maybe that is the issue, I don't know. I have no issue trying other brands especially, Remo, that grew I up with, but just want something when I strike it doesn't sound too plastic or tacky. I have tried the Calftone and they were no improvement. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

That sounds great, but would probably take half of my Social Security check. Well maybe a third. Just checked. There has to be a cheaper alternative than $80.00

Remo Coated Ambassador?

For the longest time I was a huge Evans fan, but they seemed to always have a certain sound and a certain overtone especially on the snare. Depending on what you are going after it could be good or bad. I've heard some describe it as a "plastic" type sound. I don't know if I would necessarily call it that or not, but just some thoughts.

Edit: I'd love to go real skin heads as well, but I think the always changing climate here in Texas would drive me nuts. I have enough trouble keeping my Djembe in tune.

That sounds great, but would probably take half of my Social Security check. Well maybe a third. Just checked. There has to be a cheaper alternative than $80.00

Copy that. If Steele is stateside (or one of his distributors) at a drum show you could save the cost of shipping from Australia.

Other than cost I've heard nothing but praise from those using these heads.

Have you ever tried Aquarian? They actually market their Z100 coating as adding warmth to the head.

Remo Coated Ambassador?
For the longest time I was a huge Evans fan, but they seemed to always have a certain sound and a certain overtone especially on the snare.

Noticed the same. Also same with Aquarian (though you can't beat their price). Mind you I think only drummers notice these fine details up close. At some distance not.

Always Remo on a snare, and actually if you leave it on there good and long to get some dirt and funk it becomes even 'warmer'.

Noticed the same. Also same with Aquarian (though you can't beat their price). Mind you I think only drummers notice these fine details up close. At some distance not.

Always Remo on a snare, and actually if you leave it on there good and long to get some dirt and funk it becomes even 'warmer'.

Yeah, I know nobody out in the audience, or maybe even the rest of the band, notices such things. However, it is one of those things where if you notice, then it probably having at least some effect on your playing, no matter how slight. For me it just seemed like something I found I was constantly trying to tune out of the drum, so I was always messing with it, instead of just realizing it was just part of the characteristic of the drumhead.

I love Evans dry heads but am afraid my ears are really receptive to high pitches which may be what I am hearing. I am thinking the coated Ambassador may be the next head.

I'm loving the UV1; I can really hear a difference compared to the G1. I have them on all of my snares now.

Aquarian modern vintage single ply. As a plus, their coating doesn’t get dirty looking like most coated heads. The one I’m using now is medium weight, but I wish I’d tried thin, and think I will next time. Priced pretty reasonable too.

Aquarian modern vintage single ply. As a plus, their coating doesn’t get dirty looking like most coated heads. The one I’m using now is medium weight, but I wish I’d tried thin, and think I will next time. Priced pretty reasonable too.

That's been on my "to try" list, but for some reason I still haven't tried one out yet.

I just realized I have been on this site now for 13 years, and don't remember any discussion on this. So if it just my feeble mind, pardon me. I have tried every Evans batter head on my snare and every one of them seems to have a plastic sound. I like my snare tuned high, and maybe that is the issue, I don't know. I have no issue trying other brands especially, Remo, that grew I up with, but just want something when I strike it doesn't sound too plastic or tacky. I have tried the Calftone and they were no improvement. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Have you tried an Evans Strata Staccato 700 or a Remo Renaissance Diplomat?

. . . I like my snare tuned high, and maybe that is the issue, I don't know. . . .

There's the problem, Dad. "Warm" and "Tuned High" just don't jibe. I tune my snare batters high, too, and I've had to come to terms with the same issue.

Take a big, deep wooden snare, though, and throw on a Coated Ambassador tuned to med-low tension, and you'll have the warm sound you want. (Try some cotton balls thrown inside, too. It works. Instant warmth.)

GeeDeeEmm

My favorite snare head for a warm, all round sound is the Ludwig LW3314 medium batter. It especially good on Ludwig snares and I've seen people solve all kinds of issues by using this head. I'm not an Evans fan and find almost all of their heads have a plastic sound to my ears. Coated Ambassador is a good choice as well I think.

I'd also suggest the Aquarian Modern Vintage series. The coating and film they use come together into a great sounding head and now that they make four weights you can really dial in the exact feel and response you want while keeping that warm tone.

Back