best walnut snare?

Drum Guy

Best new SOLID shell ALL-walnut snare 5-6.5 x 14" out there, US or otherwise? Must be under $1000, looking to buy

Guru has sold all of their walnut snares, so that's no longer an option.
The Guru 7" X 13" is exceptional if you can pry it out of anybody's hands.

Noble & Cooley SS Classic steam bent Walnut would be my first choice.
The 6" X 14" SS Classic is an incredibly versatile sounding snare.
Otherwise consider their 7" X 14' SS Classic Walnut.

Also Carolina Drumworks makes a mighty fine steam bent single ply Walnut
snare to your specs.

thanks - I know N&C, but never heard of Carolina Drumworks. Seems like N&C is better choice? Or have you played Carolina Drumworks walnut?

Which would be better resale?

thanks - I know N&C, but never heard of Carolina Drumworks. Seems like N&C is better choice? Or have you played Carolina Drumworks walnut?

N&C is a better known name so automatically gets higher resale - but that also means that CDW is probably going to be a more economical option.

I echo Vintage Old School on the Guru 7x13" - I got the last one and I'll probably never buy another wood-shell snare drum again.

Craviotto steambent should be on this list too.

IMO, steambent or segmented is the best sounding construction...for any wood. Not a fan of stave construction, but they would probably be preferable to a ply shell.

Not that ply shells sound bad, they don't at all. But you did ask for what we think is the best.

I have both Noble & Cooley and Carolina Drumworks Walnut snares and I like them both. They're slightly
different to my ear, so not knowing what exact sound you're after, it's really hard to say which is best.
They're both great companies to work with. Walnut availability and sizes are a bit more limited at Noble & Cooley.
I think Walnut may be very limited productions from N&C. Jeff at CDW is great to work with. You may be able to
get sizes from CDW that are not available from N&C.

Craviotto is another option. It's a bit breathier and more "airy" sounding, but brand new will exceed your budget.

I also have a used SOTA (State of the Art Percussion) Walnut segmented snare that is killer. Problem is if you can
ever locate one. I looked 28 years for a used SOTA Walnut shell before locating one for sale.

Noble & Cooley will likely be the better resale value--also quicker, easier to resell. But you need to trust your ears
first and foremost in the sound you're after.

I echo Vintage Old School on the Guru 7x13" - I got the last one and I'll probably never buy another wood-shell snare drum again.

Al, I nearly pulled the trigger on your exact 7" X 13" Guru segmented Walnut!
Please contact me if you ever decide to sell it.

If one does pop up within your budget.

14x6,5 Walnut or Butternut Craviotto After 26 years, I can truly say this is the best and most versatile snare I have ever played.

38151472_2285277801686120_2830019466765533184_n.jpg

Al, I nearly pulled the trigger on your exact 7" X 13" Guru segmented Walnut!
Please contact me if you ever decide to sell it.

If I ever become completely bereft of my senses, you mean? I cannot put this snare down, it's so good. I played my Black Magic the other day and even though I love that drum, it felt like driving a Prius after using a Bugatti Veyron for three months.

But you are first on my list if I do need to will it off and I haven't got any suitable heirs.

thanks greatly for everyones input - I know its really about sound, problem is I can't test the Craviotto or Carolina Drumworks (did play briefly the N&C) so needed you guys to chime in...

Sounds like y'all are saying can't go wrong with either N&C, Craviotto, or Carolina walnut versions. I'll need to do some price research.

Another vote of confidence here for Noble and Cooley if they have any walnut supplies left. I recommend emailing Nick Jones and ask him cost and availability of a steambent walnut in the size you want.
Great guy and family owned business to work with.

I own the pictured 6" x 14" Walnut SS Noble and Cooley snare drum.
It was # 4 of a limited run of 22 . It is maybe the best wood shell snare I have ever owned or played. I am a huge fan of walnut snare drums. I also own a 6.5" N&C Walnut Horizontal ply snare as well. Both snares are excellent.

Walnut is so rich and expressive with lots of bottom end and a lower fundamental and still very articulate.

Attachments

• Walnut SSjpeg.jpg
    Walnut SSjpeg.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 374
beautiful. So are those chrome lugs? Die cast hoop or? Whats the advantage of chrome over their brass lugs?

And is the 6" more desirable than the 5"? More resell as well if I ever had to?

I'd throw Hendrix stave walnut in the ring. Vertical grain orientation. Top quality. Look and sound great. You did say solid though so I guess you just want a steambent.

Never played any of these, but I heard Brady makes a really high quality walnut snare

But you can't go wrong with craviotto or noble and cooley. And a snare from any of these companies will either hold or gain value over time

If money wasn't a factor then that would be my top 3 options

beautiful. So are those chrome lugs? Die cast hoop or? Whats the advantage of chrome over their brass lugs?

I'm curious, what is your agenda? Multiple threads about some pretty expensive gear, the resale value is a big concern, yet you can't tell the difference between die cast and flanged hoops. Are we buying a Ferrari before learning to drive?

I'm curious, what is your agenda? Multiple threads about some pretty expensive gear, the resale value is a big concern, yet you can't tell the difference between die cast and flanged hoops. Are we buying a Ferrari before learning to drive?

Russian bot !!!!! 2020

Never played any of these, but I heard Brady makes a really high quality walnut snare

But you can't go wrong with craviotto or noble and cooley. And a snare from any of these companies will either hold or gain value over time

If money wasn't a factor then that would be my top 3 options

To the best of my knowledge Brady doesn’t make Walnut snares. They make snares from Wanda, Jarrah and SheOak

Back