Tuning drums with odd number of lugs

I just recently joined the odd-numbered lug club, with a 5-lug 10" tom tom.

I normally tune with two keys at opposite lugs but that doesn't work well on odd-numbered lug drums since there aren't any two lugs opposite each other.

Once I have the pitches close to what I want I go clockwise around the drum until they all match. So essentially the same as any other drum, I just find it takes a little extra work.

I have a 16" floor tom with 7 lugs. How are such drums properly tuned?

What brand is it? I've been complaining that all 14" floor toms should have 7 lugs for years. I think 16" toms should be okay with 8 lugs though.

Tune them as a seven pointed star at first.

Attachments

• 220px-Regular_star_polygon_7-3.svg.png
    220px-Regular_star_polygon_7-3.svg.png
    5.8 KB · Views: 130
  • 220px-Regular_star_polygon_7-2.svg.png
    220px-Regular_star_polygon_7-2.svg.png
    5 KB · Views: 131
My five lug Gretschs are no issue. You turn every other lug around the drum. 1, 3, 5, 2, 4. Easy peasy. I would suggest maybe less of a turn each lug, than even numbered lugged drums, but there is no magic.

As Winston Wolf stated, once their close go in a circle until they are the same.

I appreciate all the feedback on this subject. I'm returning to the drums after 40 years and am amazed at how the technology has changed. I grew up with calf skin heads. Thanks again, folks, and Happy New Year to all of you.

My five lug Gretschs are no issue. You turn every other lug around the drum. 1, 3, 5, 2, 4. Easy peasy. I would suggest maybe less of a turn each lug, than even numbered lugged drums, but there is no magic.
thanks been having slight issues with mine, stay safe sir and again thanks

My Gretsch Renown 5 lug mounted toms stay in tune better than any drums I own. I think it's more about the quality of the lugs, not how many are on the drum. Yes, I'd say for a seven lug floor tom use the above star pattern. I tap around the rim and the middle of the drum each time so I can hear how it progresses. Good luck and welcome back to drumming. I took a 30 year hiatus and got back into it...glad I did.

I'm sure less lugs is due to wanting less mass on shell but what of it's ability to tension evenly would it make a big difference? Obviously not-but I think people are concerned of that being an issue-rather than realizing less lugs less mass. Like I hear people complain of a 6 lug 16 in floor which I see no problem. I've taken off half the lugs on both batter and reso head of lil 16 in Safari and it's never sounded better. So it's just 4 lugs. It was a video hack on here suggesting try that on a kick.

My Gretsch Renown 5 lug mounted toms stay in tune better than any drums I own. I think it's more about the quality of the lugs, not how many are on the drum. Yes, I'd say for a seven lug floor tom use the above star pattern. I tap around the rim and the middle of the drum each time so I can hear how it progresses. Good luck and welcome back to drumming. I took a 30 year hiatus and got back into it...glad I did.
Same here. My Renowns hold their tuning extraordinarily well.

As has been discussed here, the secret to tuning a 5 lug drum is to start with one lug, skip the next one and go around the drum skipping lugs until you've hit them all. I typically rotate the drum so I start with one lug at the 6 o'clock position, tune it and skip to the one at 11 o'clock, then 3 o'clock then 8 o'clock and finish with the one at 1 o'clock. I tune in very tiny increments as that's all that's needed.

Back