The "Evolution" of the Ludwig Breakbeats/Questlove Kit

vyacheslav

Greetings,

I had owned a Breakbeats kit a few years ago in the Black Sparkle finish. I recently came across several "orphan" Breakbeat drums, ironically in Black Sparkle, for a good price, so I picked them up. I've noticed a design change on certain "Elements" of the Breakbeats kit, so I wanted to compare/contrast those changes with you all, and to see if I am missing any changes that took place.

As you can tell by my thread title and other "Elements" in these paragraphs, I am giving a nod to the new-ish Ludwig Element Evolution drums, because I believe the Breakbeats have been subtly re-designed and now match up exactly with the Element Evolutions.

Here are the changes I noticed on the Breakbeats Kit 2.0 vs the Original Issue:

1. Tom Holder/Receiver on bass drum is square. Original was round.

2. Brackets (rack tom and floor tom leg) are now rectangular. Originals were round.

3. All wing nuts are now new "Atlas" style. Originals were "heart shaped". This would included the wing nuts on the brackets, spurs and tom receiver.

4. The wrap seam is now in-between the lugs. Originals had the wrap seam under the lugs.

5. The snare strainer/throwoff has a thumb style lever that flips downward to turn the snares off and mounts with smaller hole spacing. Originals had a P-85 Type strainer.

6. In regards to the Black Sparkle finish, it seems a little more "plain" and "basic" now. The wrap also feels a little thinner than "real" drum wrap. On the ones I owned a few years ago (originals), the Black Sparkle wrap would show hints of gold and even some subtle green when in direct sunlight. The new Breakbeats Black Sparkle wrap is more plain, and doesn't show those subtle colors, even in direct sunlight.

7. This one is speculative, but it seems there may be an actual badge now instead of just a sticker badge as on the originals. The reason I say this is speculative is because of the three orphans I picked up recently, the bass drum had all the new "Elements" I listed above, but still had a sticker badge. The other two orphans are just bare shells, no hardware or badges. However, on both bare shells (FT and SD), there are two tiny holes on the outside of the shell (that do not go all the way through to the inside) where a badge would have been. I know these are Breakbeat shells also. I was thinking that maybe they actually could've been Element Evolution shells (since everything about them is exactly the same--see below), but the FT shell is 13" x 13", and that size is not offered on the Evolutions; it is only offered on the Breakbeats, so it definitley is a Breakbeat shell. It's hard to tell from online photos if it's a sticker or a real badge.

As far as I can tell, all the changes I outlined above are present on the Ludwig Element Evolution series. Same brackets, same wing nuts, same tom receivers, same lugs, same shells, same everything. Even the wraps are the same (Wine Red/Maroon Sparkle, Black Sparkle and Silver/White Sparkle--only the Aqua/Azure Sparkle is exclusive to the Breakbeats).

Am I missing any changes? Please feel free to chime in. I think this was more of production decision from Ludwig, so they didn't have to keep making two kinds of brackets, wing nuts etc. Ironically, the Ludwig website still shows the Breakbeats kit with all the original appointments I mentioned above. However, if you look online at retailers, you will see the new design "Elements" I have listed.

Last edited:
I see you like dark jokes... I didn't see anything

Well they may look similar but they are different drums. The Element doesn't come with a 16" bass drum and has 2 rack toms instead of 1. Is the Tama Silverstar the same as the Superstar because they both have 4 finishes in common?

They are different kits. But I am hoping for a BB 2.0 since the current one has some flaws like the bass drum hoops, finish, tension rods and badge. Seriously the badge.

I see you like dark jokes... I didn't see anything

Well they may look similar but they are different drums. The Element doesn't come with a 16" bass drum and has 2 rack toms instead of 1. Is the Tama Silverstar the same as the Superstar because they both have 4 finishes in common?

They are different kits. But I am hoping for a BB 2.0 since the current one has some flaws like the bass drum hoops, finish, tension rods and badge. Seriously the badge.

Obviously the Breakbeats kit has smaller/fewer drums. I think OP was just saying that, because they both seem to have the same poplar shells, and same lugs/hardware since the changes to the Breakbeats (mentioned above), that they are essentially the same drum series with different badges. He wasn't saying the prepackaged kits are identical.

On the other hand, Tama Silverstars are birch, while Superstar Classics are maple, and they have completely different lugs and bass drum spurs (at least). Your comparison is a bit off.

Thanks for informing me that my Breakbeats kit is inferior dick.

Jk, good catch. I agree, it sounds like mostly an attempt to use the same components as the Element line.

Thanks for informing me that my Breakbeats kit is inferior dick.

Jk, good catch. I agree, it sounds like mostly an attempt to use the same components as the Element line.

Well, that would make it easier to manufacture if they all use the same parts. So Ludwig makes more profit by saving a step or two. I could see these changes being a real drag if it was a top flight kit, but we’re talking drums in the “under-$400” range. I say if they work and sound fine, it’s still a good bargain.

I haven't used mine in a while, but I do know one of the lugs has cracked on the bass drum. It bugged me that the Ludwig logo was slightly crooked, so I lined it up and I as was tightening up the tension rods, one went in slightly off-center and it went straight through. Luckily it's underneath, as it would really annoy me if I could see it every time I played the kit.

My friend showed me that the tightening screws are breaking on the floor tom of his Questlove kit. If that is happening to other people then Ludwig might be replacing some parts with heavier duty parts.

Back