Gear you could afford but never owned

In that case.

USA Custom pack in all sizes. (I'd really like two :))
Same for Broadkasters
Two more pairs of DW9002 pedals and hi-hat stand.
Djembe
5-piece conga set in walnut.
Bongos
Handsonic
Wavedrum
SPD-SX

For other instruments the list is long including several more guitars, a flute, a clarinet and an Ishimori Wood Stone alto.

I willl get it all, it's just gonna take a while.

Gear you could afford but never owned

Sorry Larry - it's a very poorly worded question.
Sounds more like two questions to me - gear you could afford;
and, gear you never owned.

No mention of desirability either.
Try again - ha ha.

Gong drum, wind chimes ------- Oh wait ------------

Are you talking wind chimes, or percussion chimes. I would hate to have to sit on my throne and blow on wind chimes during a gig.

Try again - ha ha.

I think Larry meant what are things that are pretty common and fairly inexpensive but you've never owned for whatever reason.

I have a couple to add to my list:

Although I've played a bunch of djembes, I've never owned one. I've never owned a cajon either.

Having two rides, remote hi hat, wood blocks ala Rush's Xanadu

Try again - ha ha.

OK fair enough. How about this wording: Gear you could afford. But never owned.

:)

I do not assume Larry doesn't have the income for a $5000 gong, so I'm hoping he fulfills this dream then I can live vicariously through him.

But I guess for me, it's the Paiste cymbals. If it was a high priority for me, I'd have them, I guess. But I think my approach was wrong because I went for Paistes that sound exactly like what I already have. Mondozart has told me that I've already found my sound since it's always the same regardless of gear. So until my head starts hearing something different, there isn't really anything new that I need.

I would love a tenor set of Jamaican steel drums to learn to play, though. Maybe that's where I go next.

+1 Steel drums....now that is a cool idea

I never bought anything I can hit with my hands with one exception. I just don't want to do that. I do own congas but don't play them. Except with sticks.

Blasphemy I know.

I'd get a steel drum. I came close in Jamaica, but it was tourist crap.

30 years ago, when I was bar mitzvah'd, oy, my parents hired a steel drum band to play at a party...it was awesome. I just remembered that! Beautiful clear strong fundamental, lively festive tone, just damn fun! Hey, them blue note guys shoulda added some steel drums to those jazz albums, could've been sick. Thankfully there's vibes and marimba and the like.

Sonor drums, always admired them but found a manufacturer I like more.

Tama Drums, they were never on my radar till they came out with the Star lines. Still prefer the drums I own now.

Rogers Drums, other than a COB powertone, I own nothing Rogers.

Meinl Cymbals - absolutely no interest in anything they make.

Mapex drums - nothing they make interests me.

I never bought anything I can hit with my hands with one exception. I just don't want to do that. I do own congas but don't play them. Except with sticks.

Blasphemy I know.

I'd get a steel drum. I came close in Jamaica, but it was tourist crap.

I got a small diatonic steel drum on Antigua. The tour guide pointed out they had a blind metal shop, I would like to think that a blind metal worker was employed tuning the drum. It is just the bottom of recycled metal bucket, hammered and painted, but it is totally fun to play, fits on a snare stand, easy to swap in and out. Mine is diatonic, and sounded pretty sweet, there were some others that were clearly decorations, that barely made any tone when you played it. I hunted through a pile until I found one that I liked all of the notes.

I think my drum and instrument GAS has pretty much run its course and am very satisfied with my sonic palette and setups, so yeah I do look at various instruments and think that would kinda cool, but don't act on it. I have a couple of projects that I haven't yet to finish, kind of waiting for that rainy day. A rasp stick to play on my snare and a clapper stick, I already have a number of rasps and wood blocks do no hurry.

These days I'm hooked on expanding my CD collection, hunting for new (ancient) grooves as rekindled my passion in music and dance.

I have never bought a double bass drum pedal, nor have I ever played one. Also, there are many brands of drums and cymbals I have never owned. Peace and goodwill.

Meinl Cymbals

I've never heard a Meinl that I wanted. Plus whoever it was that said that the Meinl logo looked like the back end of 2 elephants...I can't shake that.

I'm just glad it's on a cymbal line that I don't care for. That logo is a good case for logo remover.

Back