Most adjustable kick pedal

ConcertTom

Hi all, I'm looking get a new single pedal, simple, lightweight. Yamaha are generally my consistent favorite, though I tried out the Tama speed king the other day and really liked how it felt.

I usually end up with pedals mostly because I like the strap/chain length and where the spring sits rotationally on the cross bar (is that the right term?). I'm wondering though if theres any pedals out there that are really great, but are easy to adjust, especially in the strap/chain length, without poking holes or doing major surgery.

I almost just got the Yamaha FP8500B. Really loved the feel, but the strap was just a tad too long, felt like my foot was almost on the floor when I hit the drum. I could probably poke another hole in the strap, but what if I want try a few positions before I lock it down forever?

Help me drum-e-wan kenobi...

I think most adjustable and easiest to adjust might be at opposite ends of the spectrum...

I use a Drumnetics (drumnetics.com) and you can adjust pretty much every aspect of the pedal, no springs.. and i find it just to be amazing.. BUT learning to adjust it takes a little bit. Once i set it up almost 4 years ago though i have never had to touch it, just perfect every time.

I think it would be hard not to argue for the Pearl Eliminator if your primary criteria is adjustability. Switchable cams, can swap between strap and chain, where you want the strap on the cam, footboard closer/further to the cam, plus all of the usual adjustments found on high-end pedals.

I think it would be hard not to argue for the Pearl Eliminator if your primary criteria is adjustability. Switchable cams, can swap between strap and chain, where you want the strap on the cam, footboard closer/further to the cam, plus all of the usual adjustments found on high-end pedals.

That's the one that caught my eye. I tried one a couple weeks ago, not realizing all the adjustability options it has, and felt like the heel area plate was bulky and higher off the ground than I like, but maybe I have to give it a second look.

Oddly enough, of all the dw and yamaha pedals I've bought over the years, I seem to only have 2 pedals left somehow, and they're both Pearls. One of which was the pedal to my first real drumset I got when I was probably 9 years old.

I think most adjustable and easiest to adjust might be at opposite ends of the spectrum...

I use a Drumnetics (drumnetics.com) and you can adjust pretty much every aspect of the pedal, no springs.. and i find it just to be amazing.. BUT learning to adjust it takes a little bit. Once i set it up almost 4 years ago though i have never had to touch it, just perfect every time.

I dont mind putting effort into it, since realistically once I set it how I like I will likely not readjust it again.

That drumnetics looks great, but a little high tech for my personal taste. It could probably fit me better with a round felt beater, if I felt like spending the money...

I almost got one of those Jojo Meyer pedals last year after trying it out at GC and LOVING the way it felt. When I went to some dudes house (who was selling a used one on craigslist), I got a chance to see what one felt like after a bit of use and abuse. Very glad I did, because it didnt take a lot to turn it from a finely tuned machine to a rattly unstable piece of poo...

I dont mind putting effort into it, since realistically once I set it how I like I will likely not readjust it again.

That drumnetics looks great, but a little high tech for my personal taste. It could probably fit me better with a round felt beater, if I felt like spending the money...

Yeah i use a vintage bomber beater on it.. I like my bass to WHOMP. not smack smack like plastic on plastic..

That's the one that caught my eye. I tried one a couple weeks ago, not realizing all the adjustability options it has, and felt like the heel area plate was bulky and higher off the ground than I like, but maybe I have to give it a second look.

Oddly enough, of all the dw and yamaha pedals I've bought over the years, I seem to only have 2 pedals left somehow, and they're both Pearls. One of which was the pedal to my first real drumset I got when I was probably 9 years old.
Hmm. The heel plate on my Eliminators is no thicker than the Yamaha Hi hat currently next to it. It's been a couple of years since I've had any DW stuff around, but I thought the DW was thicker. None of that stuff is in the realm of the Iron Cobra. I could also just be used to it because I've been using them for about 10 years.

Also, I'm not saying the Eliminator is the best pedal out there, but I have a hard time believing it's not a top choice for mutable.

Hmm. The heel plate on my Eliminators is no thicker than the Yamaha Hi hat currently next to it. It's been a couple of years since I've had any DW stuff around, but I thought the DW was thicker. None of that stuff is in the realm of the Iron Cobra. I could also just be used to it because I've been using them for about 10 years.

Also, I'm not saying the Eliminator is the best pedal out there, but I have a hard time believing it's not a top choice for mutable.

I'll give it a second look. I was being "sold" on it by a guy at Sam Ash when I asked him what yamaha pedals he had on display, which was a big turn off and put me in an automatically defensive space.

For most adjustable, I'd say the (now discontinued) Taye XP-1. In addition to footboard and beater angle, you can change the cam position to feel more round or "eccentric". You can adjust the chain so that it is more straight up and down, or at an angle (like the Speed Cobra). You can move the entire beater housing/holder closer to, or farther from the bass drum head, to make sure your beater is hitting at the absolute perfect angle. You can even tilt the whole beater housing side to side. If you buy a double pedal, it can be changed from lefty to righty. There may even be a way to make a middle pedal, if you have a couple doubles (or a double, a single, and a spare drive shaft). I'm not sure if there's a strap-drive option. But basically everything else is adjustable.

For most adjustable, I'd say the (now discontinued) Taye XP-1. In addition to footboard and beater angle, you can change the cam position to feel more round or "eccentric". You can adjust the chain so that it is more straight up and down, or at an angle (like the Speed Cobra). You can move the entire beater housing/holder closer to, or farther from the bass drum head, to make sure your beater is hitting at the absolute perfect angle. You can even tilt the whole beater housing side to side. If you buy a double pedal, it can be changed from lefty to righty. There may even be a way to make a middle pedal, if you have a couple doubles (or a double, a single, and a spare drive shaft). I'm not sure if there's a strap-drive option. But basically everything else is adjustable.

Do you know why it was discontinued? That all sound interesting and there are some used ones available but might be too risky to not be able to try one out...

Do you know why it was discontinued? That all sound interesting and there are some used ones available but might be too risky to not be able to try one out...

Not sure why it was discontinued. Pretty sure it won some kind of "best in show" award at NAMM when it debuted. I have the double pedal version (with a Trick drive shaft), and it's quite an awesome pedal. I'm pretty sure the Taye Metal Works (TMW) pedal has all the same adjustments, but with a few aesthetic differences (mainly footboards and beaters).

Trick Pro 1V had more than I knew what to do with. It was a nice pedal, but I'm back with my Yamaha 9500d direct drive. It has all the adjustments I need, and works really well for my setup.

For most adjustable, I'd say the (now discontinued) Taye XP-1.

Agreed on that, I endorsed the follow-up Metalworks pedal for 5 years and it was great. I switched to the Ludwig Atlas pedal when Taye's US distribution went dormant in 2015. I think they're back, not sure the exact status.

Do you know why it was discontinued?

The XP-1 pedal was developed with Ray Ayotte's input, and was affectionately known as the Ray Ayotte pedal (although he wasn't the only person involved.) When Ray left the company around 2010, he wanted to take the pedal with him, but Taye in fact owned the design (since he was their employee.) To avoid any possible issues, or maybe as a courtesy, they did some cosmetic and minor mechanical changes, and re-issued it as the TMW - Taye MetalWorks.

Bermuda

Last edited:
Do they hold up well over time? I could get a new Metalworks for like $200 after shipping, but there are used ones as well as used XP-1's out there for around $100. I love saving money but the purpose of this pedal would be to be my no.1 travellin pedal, and if it's not operating smoothly it kind of defeats the purpose.

I have the original Taye Metal Works, which won best on show at Namm, and I have had it for at least 8 years or more with no issues.

Edit: I bought the pedal in 2007, and paid $185. new. If you can get one for $200, I say go.

Attachments

• PA290017.JPG
    PA290017.JPG
    56.5 KB · Views: 240
Last edited:
Do they hold up well over time? I could get a new Metalworks for like $200 after shipping, but there are used ones as well as used XP-1's out there for around $100. I love saving money but the purpose of this pedal would be to be my no.1 travellin pedal, and if it's not operating smoothly it kind of defeats the purpose.

The thing is built like a tank. I don't feel like there's anything to be concerned about.

I almost got one of those Jojo Meyer pedals last year after trying it out at GC and LOVING the way it felt. When I went to some dudes house (who was selling a used one on craigslist), I got a chance to see what one felt like after a bit of use and abuse. Very glad I did, because it didnt take a lot to turn it from a finely tuned machine to a rattly unstable piece of poo...

I got burned with the Jojo pedal. For a pedal that's designed for lots of gigging and designed to be folded up it doesn't take gigging very well

Still using the original DW5000 strap drive .

I have got a pearl eliminator that I need to replace the strap for. Very adjustable and they're cheap as well.

also look at AXIS. They are very light weight and adjustable, but they do wear over time. Nice thing is you can buy parts - 30 years later since they keep the same basic designs (i.e. the A1). While you are looking at their site, also look at the dock. it also works really well and cuts setup/teardown time.

also look at AXIS. They are very light weight and adjustable, but they do wear over time. Nice thing is you can buy parts - 30 years later since they keep the same basic designs (i.e. the A1). While you are looking at their site, also look at the dock. it also works really well and cuts setup/teardown time.

Axis does make pretty nice pedals. But they aren't nearly as adjustable as a lot of other high-end pedals these days.

Back