NCD- Paiste Big Beats

Jbravo

After a lot of pussyfooting around the issue, I decided to pony up for the cymbals I’ve wanted all along. I bought a Paiste Big Beat pack with an 18”,20”,24” and a set of 15” hats, and a separate 22” as another large crash.

I just set them up, and messed around for a bit. They all sound great. However, I’ve already decided that my 16” zildjian K hats will stay on the left as my main set, while the Paistes will go to the right as closed hats.

The 22 and 24 both make really nice rides (and really nice giant crashes) with the 24” obviously being lower pitched. The 20 and 18 both sound great as crashes, and the 20 would also work as a ride although I’ve become used to much lower pitched rides with a 24” flat Soultone and a 23” K special dry ride I’ve been using prior to this. I’ll have to adjust back to more wash, but I’ve kinda missed that anyway.

I’m already really happy with my purchase, and expect to become even more so, as I adjust to the new sounds.

Now back to the fun!! I just had to share my excitement...

Lotsa Bronze:

0E026D2C-5F54-4B4C-90B3-B7926393CC7A.jpeg

New ones set up:

00510B01-52DA-4BC2-BD45-7477C84122F9.jpeg

Last edited:
Beauty! Do enjoy, JB!

After a lot of pussyfooting around the issue, I decided to pony up for the cymbals I’ve wanted all along.....

That's the way to do it - buy once, cry once.

A really nice looking set of cymbals.
I've heard a lot of Giant beats, but haven't gotten a chance to try out Big Beats yet.

Wow that's a lot of bronze. I bet you are all giddy and stuff. It's really the way to go, getting exactly what you want cost be damned, as long as you absolutely know what you want.

Congratulations on the new score, I'm sure you earned it because that's a lot of dough in those pics. Cymbals are a beautiful thing, I've been in love with cymbals from the first time I saw and heard some in person.

Thanks guys! I’m really enjoying them. The current master plan includes a brand new set of classic maples in vintage white marine-in about the same sizes I have now, in a couple of years. Then I should be set for the rest of my playing days.

First I have a couple of years of home improvement projects so we’re both satisfied...��

I have a 19 & 22 Big Beat. Have you tried the 16 hi-hats? I had them and they were great, but I didn't really use them so I sold them.

I got 15” big beats because I already liked the 16 K lights I had. However, if they came out with 17”s, it’s possible I could be tempted...

Great choice JB. They look fantastic.

Bet they sound great too. I love the Big Beats. Warm and versatile.

I do think it's a good point about allowing your ears to adjust to them. I always find that there's an 'adjustment' period with new cymbal(s) as I compare them to my others.

Last edited:
Congrats and enjoy. I heard the BB's are really nice under stick and ear.

I too have 16" K Light Hats - the ABSOLUTE BEST I have ever played in 30 years, and I'm a Sabian guy primarily. I also have a pair of 14" Lights.

You will enjoy the Classic Maples - I have a Downbeat configuration in White Marine Pearl. Phenomenal.

Thanks guys! I’m liking them more each time I play them. Very satisfying, and I’m really happy with my purchase.

I’m looking forward to having that “ I finally got there and I’m not looking for the next one” feeling about my drums too...

Just a little update after having had theses a white.

I Love Them!!

The 20 and up can all be used usefully as rides. I like the 24 best though.

They are loud and cut, but not at all harsh. I’m still thinking about adding either 16 big beat hats, or 2002 17” sound edge hats.

Just a little update after having had theses a white.

I Love Them!!

The 20 and up can all be used usefully as rides. I like the 24 best though.

They are loud and cut, but not at all harsh. I’m still thinking about adding either 16 big beat hats, or 2002 17” sound edge hats.
Right on, JB! Paiste 2002, 17" Sound Edge Hats are in my sights, as are 16", 17", 18", 19", and 20", 2002 Crashes.

As for enjoying Paiste's dynamics (i.e., playing crashes as rides), my 2002, 24 Classic Crash, when played as a ride, still makes me smile with glee.

Right on, JB! Paiste 2002, 17" Sound Edge Hats are in my sights, as are 16", 17", 18", 19", and 20", 2002 Crashes.

As for enjoying Paiste's dynamics (i.e., playing crashes as rides), my 2002, 24 Classic Crash, when played as a ride, still makes me smile with glee.

I expect to be enjoying these long into the future!

Congrats on your B.B. cymbals. You made a great choice. I’m still in a cymbal no mans rabbit hole. Hope to climb out ASAP.

I'm trying out 16" BB hats right now. I like em! Mellower than the SE 2002's and have a different feel when playing. It's hard to describe. They sit further back in the mix because they are lower pitched. They have good volume when you really want to lay into it.

Thanks guys! I’m really enjoying them. The current master plan includes a brand new set of classic maples in vintage white marine-in about the same sizes I have now, in a couple of years. Then I should be set for the rest of my playing days.

First I have a couple of years of home improvement projects so we’re both satisfied...��

Because I’m obsessed with Paiste, I’ve been playing them exclusively since ‘85, I feel I need some of every model. Next on my list is the Big Beat and Dimension models. We will see when I finally pull the trigger on those.

I really enjoy these! And I get to be “all giddy and stuff” as Larry says, again next week when I get to pair them up with the new Classic maples...

It’s been a good late summer/ early fall gear-wise, but then I’ll be done for awhile, I’m thinking...

Back