A New Journey

This is the worst thing I ever heard.

Don't be averse to alternative treatments.

Wishing you my best Mitch. Hang tough buddy.

Mitch, the only thing worse than finding out one has cancer is trying to go it alone.
You're not alone on this journey. Thanks for sharing.

Never give up. Never give in.

Keep us all posted.

I know by the forum rules that this probably has no place here on DW, but I thought I'd give it a shot.

On July 18 I was informed that I have metastasized melanoma cancer in my liver, spleen, and vertebrae. Needless to say, I don't feel much like playing much right now. I just wanted to share what will be the beginning of a new journey for me.

After a Pet Scan next week, I will begin a series or treatments involving immunotherapy. From what little I know about it yet, the results appear to be good.

If allowed, I will keep those interested with occasional updates.

Take care,

Mitch

Edit: Sorry for the downer info.

Mitch, I don't know you from Adam but I have had a torrid time with this fucking disease. Including the fact it took a good drummer friend of mine earlier this year (and my mum when she was 41 and I 21).

It's a terrible disease. I wish you all the best. Kick it's arse !

Thanks for sharing this Mitch. Count me in as one of the many people here who are caring about what's happening with you. Wishing the best for you.

Last edited:
Definitely be keeping you in my thoughts dude. Just get well and stay well. You got your DW support team right here ready and able!

Mitch, we've never met but count me amongst your many friends here. Best wishes for a complete recovery. Please keep us all posted.

Richard

Yea Mitch, I'm still thinking of you man. I'm still trying to wrap my head around the magnitude of all this. Not my strong point, medical issues. I think I speak for everyone when I say you have ALL of our support.

Mitch, you have a lot of courage and great strength to reach out.

I hate to tell somebody what to do because I don't like to be told what to do, but...
You MUST do EVERYTHING that you can to FIGHT this. Consult all the doctors you can and get their opinions. Keep reaching out!

Earlier this year they found I have a very aggressive type of cancer. I am doing chemotherapy and radiation. My oncologist told me that I have a big mess, but he has a bigger mop!

Hang in there Brother,

I wish you best. That's a big fight you're facing but I've seen people lick that dreaded disease. We're all behind you here.

Boy, I've really gotta say that everyone here is the best. Even though we don't "personally" know each other, we all know each other. I guess it's the drumming brother/sisterhood thing.

Thank you to everyone who's reached back out to me; it means the world to me at this time.

Quick update:

1. I have my pet scan scheduled for tomorrow (7/24). This will allow the doctors to layout a plan for therapy. Wish me luck!

2. Since I'm still on summer break (I'm a Science teacher), I will begin medical leave effective 8/6. I will then be officially retired September 1.... another new journey - God help me! :)

Very sorry to hear, but as has been mentioned above, glad to hear you have an avenue of treatment available.

Also agree with GetAgrippa, you can't apologize for sharing - that's a heavy burden to carry alone.

I can only say this - with the advances in cancer treatment that have taken place over the past two decades, I think you can confidently look forward to beating it. And as also mentioned above, you seem to have the right attitude to do so.

You got this Mitch!..no luck needed!! : )

Keep us informed...you are needed around here.

Keep us informed...you are needed around here.

^^^ What he said.

And when you come out the other side, make that trip across the pond! There'll be caek.

Honestly thinking of you daily, Mitch. Kick this things ass.

Also, cool. My mom and sister are both public school teachers. Respect to the science teacher!!

This triggered a memory of one of my previous science teachers from *ahem* 20 years ago... He used to put on "Bill Nye the Science Guy" at the end of each lesson and it was one of the best parts of our day!

I'm glad you have the rest of the summer off Mitch. You don't need any extra stress.

Back