Just Got Tama Classic Pedal!

OldReliable

I was up at my favorite drum shop (Dale’s), and I took a look at the new Tama Classic Pedal. I really dug the design and feel, so for only 99 bucks I jumped on it and got one. I’ll set it up tomorrow and let you guys know what I think of it!

OldReliable

Nice one, what will you be comparing it too for reference ?

I’ll just be comparing it to an older entry-level Iron Cobra 200 that came with my Tama Silverstars. Both pedals are single chin, so I’m curious to see how they compare to each other.

The cool feature of this new Tama pedal is that it apparently has a vertical adjuster for the felt beater. This feature enables you to lower the beater strike point for 18" or even 16" kick drums (versus, for example, using a beater with a shorter shaft like Canopus does for their club kits with 15" kick drums).

The cool feature of this new Tama pedal is that it apparently has a vertical adjuster for the felt beater. This feature enables you to lower the beater strike point for 18" or even 16" kick drums.
Once again, Tama has solved a problem that doesn't exist.

Sorry for the late reply, I’ve been really busy playing set for my schools production of “The Wizard of Oz” (Jitterbug, anyone :) ) and haven’t done much playing on the set at home. I did set up and try the pedal for a bit after putting in on. I really dig the vintage vibe of the pedal, and the adjustable height on the assembly where the spring is located seems to be a cool feature. I don’t have much use for it at the moment, with the pedal on a 22” kick I just raised it up to the highest setting, which hits about center. When I setup my Club Dates next, I’ll try it on the 20” kick aswell. I like the feel of the pedal, which is nice and smooth. Built quality is excellent, as is typical Tama stuff. Once I get the pedal dialed in and I play it some more I’ll post back on here anymore thoughts that I have. If anyone has any questions about the pedal, let me know.

OldReliable

The Gretsch pedal was called the "Giant". The Tama pedal, first time around, was called the "Imperialstar"​

Attachments

• 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    160.9 KB · Views: 1,349
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 1,339
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 1,346
Once again, Tama has solved a problem that doesn't exist.
It may not address a "problem" per se, but it is a legit feature. I went the other route and installed a lift on my 20" kick to get a more centered beater. Sure it worked and sounded good before that, but centering the beater did improve the sound. In fact, I've made mods to all of my drums in some way, because I always try to coax the best sounds possible from them.

Reviving this 'cause I just got one a few weeks ago and have done 2 gigs with it so far. One gig was on an 18 and the other a 22. This is the best pedal I've ever owned. The feel is perfect for me and it solves a problem that does exist IMO. Having the same feel on any size kick while still striking the the sweet spot is worth a lot to me and no other pedal solves that as far as I know. I don't like risers.

As soon as I saw the height feature I knew I had to have one. And it has other great features as well like the smooth footboard, spring you can adjust while seated, folding feature and it's really light. Very glad I got one.

That’s great that you love yours! Mine’s my favorite aswell, and I feel that it’s a great pedal to really capture that vintage vibe.

I purchased one a few weeks back and took it to a gig right out of the box without tweaking it . I did not like it and decided it would be relegated to a backup pedal. I was showing the pedal to a drummer at my local shop and started tweaking it and I got it dialed in. It is a very nice pedal especially for the price. Will it replace my Sonor Perfect Balance or Axis A21 Laser ? No, but it is a nice pedal that will get some stage time.

When I saw this pedal I realised that the drum industry has completely run out of ideas. Theres only so many ways you can hit and make a drum and they've all been done, no matter what marketing tells you.

Does anyone have any issues with it the pedal nicking or denting the wood on their bassdrum hoops? I see that there is no padding built into the pedal (like there is on a DW 5000 or the slick looking padding on the Sonor Perfect Balance). It would, I'm sure, be easy to adhere some rubber to the metal contact points though...

I'm thinking about getting one for my new G. Way kit with a 20" kick. I'm still using the single pedal portion of an old Pearl Eliminator double pedal, and it doesn't fit super nicely between the bottommost tension rods due to the claws (I LOVE the claws though).

131.png

Adjust the height also changes the angle of the footboard.

The cool feature of this new Tama pedal is that it apparently has a vertical adjuster for the felt beater. This feature enables you to lower the beater strike point for 18" or even 16" kick drums (versus, for example, using a beater with a shorter shaft like Canopus does for their club kits with 15" kick drums).

I think every single kick pedal has that feature

Back