Does Drumming Therapy work?

Most selfish drummer ever right here. I totally do it for my own ecstatic joy. But in the process of us doing us, plenty of folks get happy too....and thats just fine with me.

Heheh, maybe you misunderstood or I explained myself poorly. What I meant is drumming has helped me immensely in coping with anxiety and depression. I love sharing the joy I feel from drumming and music with others. But my experience with drumming has been mostly therapeutic than gigging. I'm sorry if you find something wrong with that. Also, thanks for your insulting comment rather than seeking further clarification! That's really helpful to say to someone who just opened up about their issues with anxiety!

Heheh, maybe you misunderstood or I explained myself poorly. What I meant is drumming has helped me immensely in coping with anxiety and depression. I love sharing the joy I feel from drumming and music with others. But my experience with drumming has been mostly therapeutic than gigging. I'm sorry if you find something wrong with that. Also, thanks for your insulting comment rather than seeking further clarification! That's really helpful to say to someone who just opened up about their issues with anxiety!

I'm pretty sure J-Boogie was talking about himself. I didn't read his comments as directed to you at all, just pulling your example to comment about his own reasons for drumming. maybe I missed something!

I'm pretty sure J-Boogie was talking about himself. I didn't read his comments as directed to you at all, just pulling your example to comment about his own reasons for drumming. maybe I missed something!

Ohhh! Maybe you're right! I had read his comment like 10 mins after waking up, so my groggy brain may have misunderstood. Haha. If that's the case, sorry, J-Boogie dude! 😆

I keep an empty plastic coffee can that I use as a hand drum. It comforts me to play that drum. I don't know if it is therapy, though.

If anything I insulted myself. I had zero intention of insulting you. Apologies if it came across that way.

Aww that's nice-the written word is often a blunt instrument so easy to misunderstand-I think it's time for some drum therapy to ease the tensions.

Never been my job, but I've sat in on numerous music theraphy sessions when I was in school. Touching experiences.

It's an amazing tool when dealing with abused children, people who can't communicate in normal ways or simply create that safe space to work within.

It's such a wide field with so many areas. It's like saying "medicine" or "jazz."

I used to be an avid cyclist. Back in 2010 I blacked out in the middle of a ride for unknown reasons. I woke up in the hospital with a bunch of broken bones, including hip and collar bone, but the worst part was the head injury.

I was originally told I’d be out of work a minimum of six months and may never fully recover. Then the psychiatrist learned I played drums. He told me to play as long and as often as I could, play Mensa games and anything that would challenge my mind. It was tough playing drums. I could somewhat move my left foot without hip pain and balancing on the stool was tricky. I could move my left wrist, but only enough for the snare. My right side was fine, so that’s what I did.

On my second month follow up doc was amazed! First, he didn’t think I actually would do the things he asked, as most will just sit around and go into a depressive state, but because of the amount of brain activity required to drum, my brain injury had healed. Doc said it’s rare to see anyone recover that fast or fully and said it was because of my dedication and drumming and forcing my brain to reconnect the cells in the damaged area.

I still remember the shock of it like yesterday. Waking up in the hospital fully aware of myself and my surroundings, but not being able to transfer that to my surroundings. It was like there was no connection. Most of my drumming therapy was frustrating. I sounded like I was in elementary school picking up sticks for the first time. It took a while to just be able to play a beat and fills would come and go by and nothing! I’d just miss them entirely and never change anything. Slowely things improved and I would get fully sucked into a song and forget the pain I was in. Ghost notes started coming back as my motor skills started going back to normal.

I honestly don’t think I would be where I am without drums. There really is something to drumming therapy and how it forces you to build focus, independence and motor skills. I think if it’s between hand drums and say guitar, either would have the same effect, but adding two more limbs playing a set does even more.

Wow, that is very inspiring. Will ask my brother's therapist about drum therapy. thank you for sharing your story

Do not accept direct medical advice from a web site.

I suggest discussing this with the psychiatrist involved as it can depend on co-concurrent issues.

IMHO, yes...music therapy can have a profound effect on mood disorders.

I was not really taking advice, I was just asking if drum therapy works based on their experiences.

No one is giving advice, we are sharing our own account of how drumming as therapy has helped us with our own issues.

Telling someone to see a psychiatrist and to discuss any co- concurrent issues on a drum forum is giving medical advice on a website. :)

nope...suggesting consult with qualified med people is not giving medical advice...it is giving advice about getting medical advice.

nope...suggesting consult with qualified med people is not giving medical advice...it is giving advice about getting medical advice.

Nope you are correct. Telling someone to see a doctor is not medical advice. My bad.

..Wow, thanks for sharing stories and testimonials. Drumming is truly wonderful in so many ways. You all just get more and more interesting the more I read! I love you guys and occasional gals..

We never met, but you always come across as someone with a very big curiousity and excitement regarding discovering new music and new drummers, which i think is a very healthy thing to have when being a musician (and a human being in general)..

Such things are allready kinda a therapy (positive influence for the brain) and i like such an attitude a lot..

My brother is scheduled to meet with his doctor next week and I will discuss with him about drumming therapy. I think this innovative therapy would be better other than the conventional means.

We never met, but you always come across as someone with a very big curiousity and excitement regarding discovering new music and new drummers, which i think is a very healthy thing to have when being a musician (and a human being in general)..

Such things are allready kinda a therapy (positive influence for the brain) and i like such an attitude a lot..

Thank you oldskoolsoul, I appreciate that.

My brother is scheduled to meet with his doctor next week and I will discuss with him about drumming therapy. I think this innovative therapy would be better other than the conventional means.

It’s about what the cause may be. Animals have played a big part in therapy as well. I just watched a great movie in Netflix “Brain on Fire.” Not sure drumming or pet therapy would have done anything for her. Misdiagnosis seems to be far too common though and it’s sad.

With Peyote? You laugh, but seriously psychiatrists have been testing out mescaline in guided healing sessions. I don't see how that is so different from the peyote rituals, of the Native American Church: https://youtu.be/QLvYp0vNEGY

Disclaimer: I don't recommend peyote without seeing a doctor or genuine religious belief.

Back