All copper shell snare

This beauty arrived today. Hand-hammered 1.5 mm shell. Brass flanged hoops. Sounds out of this world great.

Attachments

• E5B3B53F-DAC3-4F11-9F98-128689BB2130.jpeg
    E5B3B53F-DAC3-4F11-9F98-128689BB2130.jpeg
    286.2 KB · Views: 427
It's a beauty!

How it sounds compare to your Q Gentlemen Copper?

The Tama sounds more open and airy to me, with a fuller note. The Q is more focused and a bit louder. Big difference is how well the Tama does when tuned low if that is you preferred tuning style. As a general rule, I like most of my snares tuned between medium and high. Low tunings generally don’t appeal to me but the Tama just thrives in that space, and just about any other tuning range. Love the Q but if I had to pick one copper drum, the Tama is the one.

The Tama sounds more open and airy to me, with a fuller note. The Q is more focused and a bit louder. Big difference is how well the Tama does when tuned low if that is you preferred tuning style. As a general rule, I like most of my snares tuned between medium and high. Low tunings generally don’t appeal to me but the Tama just thrives in that space, and just about any other tuning range. Love the Q but if I had to pick one copper drum, the Tama is the one.
I finally ordered one (not in stock, but expected soon). I know that old song and dance, but I got a discount and I'm not in a hurry. I'm hoping it lives up to my expectations. It seems to be a very well designed and crafted snare, and the vids I've seen/heard have been very impressive. I'm glad you are liking yours and hope mine is just as good. ;)

I finally ordered one (not in stock, but expected soon). I know that old song and dance, but I got a discount and I'm not in a hurry. I'm hoping it lives up to my expectations. It seems to be a very well designed and crafted snare, and the vids I've seen/heard have been very impressive. I'm glad you are liking yours and hope mine is just as good. ;)

I believe that you’re going to love it Mike. I look forward to hearing your assessment.

I love that Tama coats theirs so they don't look like they were pulled from a swamp, just beautiful drums :)

I have a copper Trick. I have played a Yamaha, PDP, and probably a couple more copper snares too. I found them all to have very similar characteristics mentioned above. I described my snare has warm, dark, and "throaty."

I'd love a big 6.5 or 7x14 bell brass but this 6.5x14 copper works really well too.

534410_277693302342111_888346916_n.jpg

Last edited:
I had a Ludwig Black Beauty snare in the 70s and hated it. Sounded like the sound was coming out of the shell without anything being retained inside. Very harsh, bright and wet. The current models and different brands may be different, but that soured me on brass snares. There's people that obviously like them. To each his own.

Nobody makes a copper drum like Oriollo. They are simply incredible. I have a 4X14 and a 6.5X14 and of all my drums, the copper always gets the most compliments. Highly recommended

Back