Arcanum Drums

mike d

Silver Member
I came upon this company: Arcanum (don't even remember how). I hadn't heard of them, but the drums look stunning! Anyone know anything about these folks?

You dang skippy!

Those things are freaking beautiful!!!

Overdesigned, or perhaps made well, it's hard to say.

Not tempted to get a quote, much less send 70% up front!

Bermuda

I found some prices on some of the standard models and not too bad ($880 on a 6.5x14 copper snare).
I configured one to get a quote. I doubt I'll buy one, but just curious.

What?

I can't believe they don't hype who their most popular customer is!

c380f4f12cfeec19f0c40c6f57db188f2f98cca8.jpg

Truly, they are a modest company.

I would hate to send 70 percent to Russia and have to wait for product and then deal with mistakes or damage.

Sorry, Charlie!

The snares look spectacular and they may be awesome builders but sending such a large deposit to Mother Russia = NYET.

They need to become more known and in the mainstream or at least reduce that crazy deposit.

Re: Sorry, Charlie!

They need to become more known and in the mainstream or at least reduce that crazy deposit.

What they need is a dealer presence, so that prospective customers can play and hear the drums. You have to know what you're buying, and things that make a sound must be (at least) heard first. A few exceptions would be a Supra, a 2002 crash, and the like, where if you've heard one, you've pretty much heard them all, and can order by mail with a high level of confidence and satisfaction.

Perhaps they have a storefront presence in Russia and throughout Europe, but without any drums in the USA - unless you happen to know Thomas Pridgen - they're going to be a tough sell. And it's not easy to gain US dealers, just ask SJC, or the dozens of other small companies whose product you never get to see or hear in person, and whose sales reflect that.

SJC has managed to appear bigger than they are for a few reasons. They go to NAMM not so much to attract dealers, but their drums are seen by the thousands of drummers who are able to get into the show, and enough of them place direct orders to make the expense worth it. Those customers, and basically every customer, are added to the artist roster as if hundreds of pros are using the drums. And like most genuine endorsements, this creates interest. Also consider the demographic that buys their drums, I'd venture to say that 99% of SJC kit owners are under 30. That's right, Millennials, to whom mail-order is their friend. They think nothing of buying stuff sight-unseen - mattresses, suits, pants, meals, drums, etc - so the traditional business model doesn't really apply. But that only goes so far, which is why you won't see SJC becoming a real competitor to the companies that do have a dealer network.

Maybe Arcanum needs to exhibit at NAMM to put their drums in front of potential US buyers? If they can sell maybe 30 snares over the course of the show, they could break-even.

Seeing and hearing and playing the product is the only way I'd fork over my money.

Bermuda

Well, they certainly look... over-engineered. But that is part of the look/design, I suppose. Nothing I'm seeing here looks ground breaking in terms of "taking something that exists and making it better". From first glance they made something with lots of pretty colors and customization of those colors, but still made a snare drum like any other snare drum. I guess the drum has more hardware, more weight, more holes, and more... colors... than most snare drums, but I can't quite figure out how that makes the drum better.

Maybe Drummer's Review will get their hands on a couple of these for testing. I would be curious to hear how they sound when compared to other snares they have tested.

Last edited:
The lugs look too erector set-ish to me.

A refreshing departure from the ordinary.

They are quite unique, that's for damn sure!

I'll wait for SW to carry them and give me an easy pay plan, lol.

A refreshing departure from the ordinary.
I actually like and appreciate that, and as an engineer, it intrigues me. Nothing really looks "wrong" about them. It's just a different aesthetic. But my bottom line is: Do they sound good? ;)

Steampunkish...

I'd like to see how they would style an entire kit.

Get a robot to play it for the demo vid!

I actually like and appreciate that, and as an engineer, it intrigues me. Nothing really looks "wrong" about them. It's just a different aesthetic. But my bottom line is: Do they sound good? ;)
Precisely. Pure visual delight. Kudos to the makers.

As for the sound, indeed, that is the question.

Well, they certainly look... over-engineered. But that is part of the look/design, I suppose. Nothing I'm seeing here looks ground breaking in terms of "taking something that exists and making it better".

That's the other thing. Real differences and improvements in sound are few and far between these days, compared to the frequent and significant changes up to a few decades ago. Cymbal companies seem to have made the most obvious changes compared to drum companies. And without being able to hear a drum, it's really hard to believe that a different/fresh/interesting design alone would make for a different, improved sound. All the more reason that these drums need to be heard before anyone sends them a nickel.

Bermuda

It's only money!

We should start a go fund me account to send a member over there to check them out firsthand!!!

Back