C&C Gladstones--Anyone played them?

retoxtony

I'm considering a new set some time in the next few months and i've become interested in a set from C&C. From what i've read the Gladstones are supposed to be their "modern" sounding drums. Considering i've never played a set of C&C drums, or even seen a set in a music store anywhere i've been i was hoping to get some feedback from anyone that has played or owned a set. I have seen a few vids but some real feedback from real people would be great.

Any help would be great.

I have played a set before. (Full disclosure, I own a 12th and Vine set and an acrylic C&C kit. Oh, I also have a Player Date II on order.)

The Gladstone series is comparable to Ludwig Classic Maple sets, although I would say it sounds like a modern/vintage mix more than a straight modern set. To me, that's great, but if you are looking for something like the sound of a maple Tama, Pearl, etc... set, than this is probably not for you. The drums are resonant and full, like modern drums, but they have a little "grit" to them, like vintage drums. I love that sound, but other people want a "cleaner" sound. If I was looking for a modern sounding kit, I would definitely look at the Gladstone series or the Ludwig Classic Maples or the Gretsch Brooklyn series. Those, to my ears, have a unique take on the modern drum sound. (My $.02.)

One of the cool things C&C does is to allow you to choose different edges. The Gladstone kit I played had their standard edge, but you can choose from several different possibilities. (The choices are on their website, I believe.)

Thanks for the help. I was really hoping to get more response, but i guess they're not that popular of a setup. Guess i'll keep digging and maybe find a set that i can hear in person.

I have been playing a (used) Gladstone for 2 years now and couldn't be happier. Chunkaway is spot-on with the modern/vintage description. I'm not much for doing reviews, but to me they remind me of my old set of Ludwigs that I used to have, but with better hardware and more consistent tuning.

I bought mine without playing them first, having done a lot of reading, chatting and YouTubing and can say I would buy another C&C in a heartbeat.

Attachments

• C and C.jpg
    C and C.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 314
I have been playing a (used) Gladstone for 2 years now and couldn't be happier. Chunkaway is spot-on with the modern/vintage description. I'm not much for doing reviews, but to me they remind me of my old set of Ludwigs that I used to have, but with better hardware and more consistent tuning.

I bought mine without playing them first, having done a lot of reading, chatting and YouTubing and can say I would buy another C&C in a heartbeat.

Hey Polska,

Beautiful kit! Didn't you add a tom to this kit?

Greg

Hey OP, what did you decide to do? I have listened to some clips on YouTube of these drums, and they sound great!

Hey OP, what did you decide to do? I have listened to some clips on YouTube of these drums, and they sound great!

There was one gladstone kit in Saskatoon listed on reverb in the same period when the op who apparently lives in saskatoon posted, and the kit is not listed anymore.

My guess is he either bought them or decided to keep them, maybe ?

Pure speculation on my part, but what is the market for high end vintage-inspired custom kits in a sub-250 000 market ?

There was one gladstone kit in Saskatoon listed on reverb in the same period when the op who apparently lives in saskatoon posted, and the kit is not listed anymore.

My guess is he either bought them or decided to keep them, maybe ?

Pure speculation on my part, but what is the market for high end vintage-inspired custom kits in a sub-250 000 market ?

I saw that kit for sale on Reverb and did talk to the seller, but they sold to someone else. They were tempting but they were about 400km from me and I couldn’t get away to check them out. I was really on the fence about paying that much sight unseen, but now that they sold I regret not buying them.

I might still try to find a set but it won’t be till summer time. I’m just getting into my busy season for work so everything else gets put on hold for the next few months. I really don’t need a new kit so I’ll just keep looking around for now.

I saw that kit for sale on Reverb and did talk to the seller, but they sold to someone else. They were tempting but they were about 400km from me and I couldn’t get away to check them out. I was really on the fence about paying that much sight unseen, but now that they sold I regret not buying them.

I might still try to find a set but it won’t be till summer time. I’m just getting into my busy season for work so everything else gets put on hold for the next few months. I really don’t need a new kit so I’ll just keep looking around for now.

Dam, that's too bad. That kit was perfect and the pricing too ! I took a day to think about them and they sold fast.

Those do not come up too often on the used market either, that's why they popped up on my drum-dar.

I think I might not be using my spare time wisely...

They are 14x22 bass drum, 9x12 tom, 14x14 floor tom and 16x6 floor tom.

I'd love a C&C snare, but it is more of a "want" than a need. If I got one, I think I'd get a maple, perhaps in white. Again, one day....just can't justify it now.

Back