Custom Brooklyn ?

evilg99

Platinum Member
Wondering if anyone knows if Gretsch will do custom sizes in the Brooklyn line.
Thought I saw a custom sized kit on Reverb a while back but not sure.

I know USA Customs are kind of ‘whatever you want’ size wise, but ironically can’t order them in Cream Oyster wrap (according to website)

Wondering if anyone knows if Gretsch will do custom sizes in the Brooklyn line.
Thought I saw a custom sized kit on Reverb a while back but not sure.

I know USA Customs are kind of ‘whatever you want’ size wise, but ironically can’t order them in Cream Oyster wrap (according to website)

Are you looking for custom depths or diameters on the Brooklyn shells?

Because Gretsch acquires their US shells from Keller, the Brooklyn line appears to limit you to the existing offerings as far as diameter. However, you should be able to get a custom depth on a standard Brooklyn shell size, as they simply have to cut the tubes to the required length.

My guess is a 15" diameter floor tom is not in gonna happen if that diameter is not currently offered in the Brooklyn line. They may eventually expand the shell size offerings for the line, like they did for the Broadkasters.

As far as the wrap availability on a given line, check with a Round Badge dealer like Fork's or Maxwell's. My experience has been they have a have a relationship with the plant that can get things done that appear to be "off the menu." I've seen numerous examples of Brooklyn kits with non-standard finishes (from other US lines).

Are you looking for custom depths or diameters on the Brooklyn shells?

Because Gretsch acquires their US shells from Keller, the Brooklyn line appears to limit you to the existing offerings as far as diameter. However, you should be able to get a custom depth on a standard Brooklyn shell size, as they simply have to cut the tubes to the required length.

My guess is a 15" diameter floor tom is not in gonna happen if that diameter is not currently offered in the Brooklyn line. They may eventually expand the shell size offerings for the line, like they did for the Broadkasters.

As far as the wrap availability on a given line, check with a Round Badge dealer like Fork's or Maxwell's. My experience has been they have a have a relationship with the plant that can get things done that appear to be "off the menu." I've seen numerous examples of Brooklyn kits with non-standard finishes (from other US lines).

Ok, good I’m not crazy - I have seen some off menu Brooklyn sizes.

Not looking for custom diameter , just custom depths. 12x7 14x12, 20x12. All in Cream Oyster.

Last edited:
Send an emai to Gretschdrums.com, or look on line for the nearest Round Badge dealer, and give them a call.

This from the web site but doesn't say whether they make custom sizes.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-04-08 at 11.00.10.png
    Screen Shot 2018-04-08 at 11.00.10.png
    24 KB · Views: 215
They appear to have at least some flexibility in size. My set was ordered in 22x14, which is not on their list. Mine are also in Red Glass, which is not on their list of options.

They appear to have at least some flexibility in size. My set was ordered in 22x14, which is not on their list. Mine are also in Red Glass, which is not on their list of options.

Cool, proof that it can be done.

Have you posted pictures of your kit? Would love to see them....

I posted them on the Show Us Your Gretsch Kits thread. Let's see if it'll load here:

attachment.php

I posted them on the Show Us Your Gretsch Kits thread. Let's see if it'll load here:

attachment.php

WOW. Beauties. Congrats, awesome kit.
So - sizes...I'm guessing 12x8, 14x12, 16x14, 22x14 ?

Good luck on your order. Cream Oyster was my choice too and was going to order them in the exact sizes, but then saw the Red Glass used (brand new, but returned) and it was a done deal. The Brooklyn’s have amazing tone. I’ve been super happy with them.

I know Gretsch will make custom sizes and configurations for the USA custom and broadkaster lines. The Brooklyn line is right up there with those kits so I bet they would accommodate but I'm not sure

It might also depend on where you buy from. A nice drum shop like lonestar percussion or Memphis drum shop or forks will definitely help you out. Guitar center might be able to help you out too, but there's always a chance you'll have to deal with a lazy unenthusiastic employee or some music shops might not want to deal with custom orders like that

Back